1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT High mpg 28+. car/truck for big guy.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Heavy-D, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy-D

Heavy-D TS Member

Im 6'2 275+ looking for more mpgs,then my 04 chevy pickup @18. mpg.
    I need a little more room than most.thanks.Dale

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Don't think you'll see 28mpg with any "truck" for someone your size. Getting better than 18mpg is no problem for a car, depends on what you like.

Eric

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Pick up the 4/08 annual auto issue of Consumer Reports magazine. It just came out. MPG's & dimensions on all current cars & trucks. Phil E

4. DJM

DJM Member

I am not aware of a high profile vehicle that can get 30 mpg. You have to go with a car. I am tall also and am comfortable in my wifes 04 Impala. She gets 30 mpg.

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I get 43 MPG AVG. with my TDI VW. As high as 51 in summer. You can sacrifice some room when you save that much in fuel IMO.

6. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Buy a Landrover Defender

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 Ford Expedition (5.4 L). Factory was something like 13 city / 18 highway.

Replaced air intake and exhaust with low restriction ones, and re-programed the on-board computer (Hypertech) - now get about 18 city and toying with 25 on the highway (best so far is 24.7).

Cost for all should be under $1,500 - I shopped around and did it for about $700.

David D

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

HSLDS,

What kind of exhaust did you put on your Expedition? I have a '05 Supercrew with the 5.4 that I have been toying adding an exhaust to.

As far as cars go, my daily driver is a '06 Fusion with the 2.3L 5spd. Summer average is 35-36, winter is 32-33. Lots of room and very comfortable. I have a long commute, car has 48,000 on it right now.

Ken

9. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I have an 08 fusion and an 07 camry, I'm 6.0 270 and they have good leg room, ride nice and get very good mileage. The toyota will last forever also as long as you religiously change the oil.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dale, take a look at any GM car with a 3800 V6. Highway mileage of around 30 is the norm, even in cars the size of a Buick Park Avenue. There is no timing belt to replace and no part of the intake manifold has to come off to replace the spark plugs. The only weak link is the Series II engine intake plenums, which burn through at the EGR valve about ever 80,000 miles. Otherwise, they're almost bulletproof.

Ed

11. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Difficult, but not impossible to find something to fit you comfortably. A poster above brought up a VW diesel Golf: decent on room and probably the best MPG on the road. Friend has one with 300,000 miles on it and has only been in the shop twice for minor electrical repair.
    The GM's with the 3800 engine are real gas sippers and should get you at 29-30 on highway. My dad had a 89 Buick (full size) and thats what he got. I have heard good mileage from the new Impala too.

Whats amazing is the MPG that some of the 70's imports got...find an advertisement for a late 70's Toyota Celica...advertised at 39mpg. With gas here in California at $3.50, high MPG is something to consider. If looking for a large SUV, they are a bargain as many people are bailing out of them. Local dealer has a 2005 Expedition, loaded, with 38k miles and his bottom dollar is $17,000. Tempting as it would haul my boat in style.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm with Ed on this one. My LeSabre gets 32 MPG Highway and about 23-24 in town unless I have a lot of short runs.

Comfy and nice, And plenty of room. The only disadvantage, or benefit depending, is that there are a million gray Buicks out there. You can get away with a lot that way.

HM

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ken

The exhaust is by Gibson - SS with lifetime guarantee

I think I bought it from JEGS (www.jegs.com) - maybe stylintrucks.com

David D

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Dale, I'm the same size with the same name. Nissan Frontier fits me fine with a 4 cyl hemi. and A/T with 182,000 miles. The truck gets 25-30 on the hiway and 25 mixed, mostly hiway. I seldom drive over 65, because, though it runs well, it gets thirsty over that speed.

Buz

15. Heavy-D

Heavy-D TS Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to go to dealers this weekend and do some test driven & fit testing. thank again. Dale.

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Dale, you might want to look at a Chevy HHR. I bought one last year, gets 28 around town 32 on the open road at hwy speeds +. Thats with suitcase 8 flats of shells 2 shotguns, and my 260lbs. Best thing is it is the easiest thing I have ever had about getting in and out without bumping knees, forehead etc. I am well satisfied. (I might add they have 2 engines mine is the small one.) Still peppy. J.Woolsey

17. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

My old Chevy lumina gets close to 30mpg, it has over 130 k on it runs great, the wife's Hyundai Azera gets close to 28mpg---we had a Volvo S-80---the Azera is better---check it out---real good, out performs a BMW 535---Phil

18. B V

B V TS Member

Take a look at the Ford Escape. My daughter has one that has amazed me with its room and mileage even with 4 wheel drive.

BV

19. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

My Son is about your size.
    He has Ranger XL SuperCab w/2.3L Eng. + 3:73 rear the truck get 26~28mpg on the road, 22 around town.
    We relocated the Drivers seat mounts back 6 inch's, An easy fix. This give's him plenty of leg room.
    Me I can JUST reach the peddles.
    Right now FORD has some nice deals on Ranger pick ups we are in the process of buying an 08, W/0% financing for 36 mo. & cash back incentives, Not a bad deal, should pick it up by this weekend.
    Just an Idea.

20. Bubba

Bubba Member

Try renting a model of whatever you are interested in for a week. Give yourself some time to see if the vehicle "fits"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.