1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT HELP TURKEY GRAVY OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shotgunbutch, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I got roped into making turkey gravy for 130 people.

How do I do this? Do you have recipes?

Arnie

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Take the juice from each turkey, add salt and pepper, likely have to add some water, then mix Flour in COLD water, the the drippings boiling and mix in the flour. If you can scrounge the giblets and neck, boil them for 15 minutes or more, then use that water to add to the gravy, dice up the giblets and dice the meat that falls off the neck bones.....That ought to do it.....how many turkeys??

3. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I don't know how many turkeys. Someone else is cooking the turkeys. I'll need to call and find out the count.

Arnie

4. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Buy it premade. Frank c has the right recipe but at a half pint per person, you would need to make over 8 gallons! If you make it, please post the story.

5. t-bar

t-bar Member

Go to Sams club or Cosco and buy Tone's turkey or chicken gravey mix, in the

spice aisle, taste just as good as the real stuff. Each bottle makes 1 gallon.

Barb

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Frank's is a good recipe. I season with salt and pepper, not much salt. Put some celery salt in (to taste), wonderful stuff, improves any gravy or soup vastly.

I put water in with the drippings and bring to a boil. I have the thickening agent (flour and water, mixed well and quite thick, about like pancake batter) ready to pour in slowly while mixing with a wire whisk. Canned mushrooms go in of course. You would need a gallon can (drained) for 8-9 gallons.

Have some soup starter handy if you need to stretch it out, and Kitchen Bouquet to darken it for that healthy color. Turkey is pretty light and you don't want a bland gravy.

I am not sure if 8 ounces per person is real, but then I am not versed in such matters. (trying to visualize).

Yep, I guess it is real. Mouth watering already. Good luck.

HM

7. PNT

PNT Member

Go to the store and buy swansons turkey(not sure if there is such a thing) but they do have chicken broth. I use it all the time to make gravy. Make sure you bring gravy to a boil for a couple of minutes otherwise the gravy will have a flour taste. Frank's directions would work well also, but use the broth instead. STAY AWAY from bullion cubes...

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Gordon Food Services has the gallon containers of turkey gravy as well as Sams club and Costco's. You can pour and heat as much as you need, as you need it.

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.