1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT!! Help on Rifle Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blainec., Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blainec.

blainec. TS Member

I have been looking for reloading information for some powder that i have. It is Ireco 85 It was made in Salt Lake City by Ireco Chemicals. The only thing i have been able to find is that the company is no longer in bussiness. The label on the container says that it is a magnum powder but not much more info than that. What i am looking for is maybe where on a burn scale chart it would fit. I am loading for a wildcat caliber so maybe info for a 240 Weatherby would be of help. Thanks for looking i know someone out htere must have a old reloading manual that will have it listed. Blaine

2. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

I have been reloading for almost 50 years and I have never heard of Ireco 85 powder. Best advice I can give is burn it and use a known powder.......Roger

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Only thing I could find is the website listed below. They do not list any current reloading powders. They are big in the industrial, well drilling etc. kinds of explosives. It is possible that you do NOT have reloading powder for rifle, pistol or shotgun. I have been involved in reloading since about 1968 and I have never heard of IRECO.

Given the unknown nature of this, rather than even burning it (in case it is something more than standard nitro-cellulose) you may want to spread it thinly on the ground and wet it down. Then not disturb it for several days (weeks?)

Alpha Explosives-Ireco
    3400 Nader Road
    Lincoln CA 95648 Phones:(916) 645-3377
    http://www.alphaexplosives.com

http://www.alphaexplosives.com

4. 100straight

100straight Member

Here's some info on where Ireco went. From what I can tell it seems that Ireco made powder primarily for the military. Do you suppose the powder you have was for use by U.S. snipers who shoot custom ammo? I know some shoot .300 Win Mags. Anyway, here's the byte below and the website where I found it is above.

"The IRECO acquisition and the invention of slurry explosives."
    "Dyno Industrier ASA acquired IRECO Chemicals, the company created by Dr. Melvin Cook, in 1984 - significantly expanding Dyno Nobel’s operations in North America."

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO way Jose. I do use some military and reclaimed powder, but very carefully and working loads up gradually.

I would definitely not mess with this stuff. You might be able to have it tested, but a huge quantity would be desirable to justify the expense.

And then it might not be right for your purpose.

Flush it down the toilet.

HM

6. blainec.

blainec. TS Member

Thanks everyone, it is for certain rifle powder. It has some load data on the back for the 300 win and 7mm. I do have a pretty good amount of it, it also says on the can that it is an extremely slow burning powder, which is exactly what i need in my wildcat round. I was just hoping someone may have info for it. What makes it rather unique for me is that it was made in Salt Lake City UT right in my backyard and i didn't even know they were around and have never seen any for sell at the local gun stores. Blaine

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I don't remember hearing of it, in my almost-50 years of loading for rifles. The attached link is to the most complete powder list I've seen, and it isn't on there. You might contact some powder companies & ask them? Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
irecco gun power
ireco 85 reloading

ireco gun powder

ireco powder
load data for ireco85 powder