1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-- Help me, what is this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by psfive, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone?
    .261 bullet at the end of the case

2".990 total OAL

.290 case at bullet

1".991 case OAL

.473 rim

.446 above rim

1".545 to shoulder

1".010 bullet out of case

.415 across shoulder

Nothing printed on the end just three equally spaced marks around the primer.
    Just curious what it is. Thanks in advance. Paul in Nebraska.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

thats a BFB......crimped primer military round ?

3. Mapper

Mapper Member

Whatever it is, it ought to be a whiz-bang rifle. The indentations in the head are surely crimping marks, leaning toward military use. No head stamp may mean it was used in some clandestine operation. That long bullet should travel well.
    I'm no expert, but I can't think of anyone using a 6.5mm anymore, except someone obviously does.

4. psfive

psfive Member

I have a 6.5x55 Swedish. But it does not look like this. Thats why I asked. Paul in Nebraska.

5. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

Very interesting to say the least. There are A LOT of cartridges with a .473 base - the .308 Win "family" is/was a popular starting point for many cartridges.

I spent a couple minutes looking at case dimensions for you in my Hornady manual, and there always seems to be one or two dimensions that just don't match...closest I came was 260 Remington, but there are a couple numbers just a tad "out of range" of yours. Your case OAL is a bit short, but it's not uncommon to get factory cases on the short side. There is a load up to a 160gr bullet in the manual, but the "suggested" COL is 2.840".

Only thing certain is that is a big darn bullet. If it was intended to be fired, I'd be hiding behind some cover with a string to the trigger for sure... (not that I would, now, but obviously it was manufactured to go bang (ka-boom?) at some point in the past)

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm pretty sure it's a 6.5 x 50 Japanese Arisake. At least this is the closest 6.5 military cartridge I can find in my dimensions book.

Wikipedia, at the link, has a photo of a 6.5 Arisake, and it is a dead ringer, right down to the military crimp.

Rimmed bottleneck.

Overall length: 2.85"

Case length: 1.984"

Head diameter: .447"

Rim dia: .466"

Rim thickness: .05"

Neck dia: .288"

Shoulder dia: .417"

Shoulder angle: 20.55 degrees

Length to shoulder: 1.531"

Body angle: .645 degrees

Typical military bullet is a 140 gr spire point.

It is possible to make this case from 270 Winchester, so there is a resemblance to the 30-06 family.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Definitely oriental. HMB

8. psfive

psfive Member

I also spent some time paging the manuals and found several that could be close cousins. No dead ringer. Thats why I asked for help from minds wiser than mine. Paul in Nebraska.

9. lostandout

lostandout Member

i have some 6.5 jap and they look like what you have

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The shell is a 6.5 Arisaka, I have one that's sporterized. This action is supposed to be the strongest of all military rifles, the only drawback is cock on close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.