1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT---Help identify this old motorcycle----OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I know this does not relate to shooting, but I have been over all the motorcycle sites I could find.

This is a small, almost kids size, flat-tracker. It has a two-stroke, single cylinder engine with a short exhaust that dumps out behind the right peg. No mufflers. It has a single tractor type seat, supported by two springs in the back. Has a sportster style tank, with a Harley-Davidson speedometer fixed in front of the forward-angling handlebars. It has large tires and wheels. the front is a rather straight tread, and the rear is a semi-nobby, but smoother.

I was told it was a junior racer from the 50's, and appear to be about the right height for a youngster.

No writing anywhere, and I can not provide any pictures.

Kick starter is on the same side( left) as the shifter, and the shifter shaft goes thru the kick start. Rear brake on the right. Side case covers are football shaped.

I would appreciate any help or guidance.

Danny

2. Bvr Tail

Thanks, Jerry! You know after thinking about it, it may not be a two-stroke. I saw the diaphram type carb and made an assumption. I have not had it running, and know nothing about yet.

Danny

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That shifter-through-the-kick-starter thing might be a real definitive point and should help narrow down the manufacturer. By its overall description, especially with regard to the tires, it sounds like an enduro or trials bike that was converted into a flat-track racer to me.

Ed

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

It would help to know for sure if the engine is a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke. Since 2 strokes don't run very well without some sort of expansion chamber on the exhaust system, the "short exhaust" makes it sound like a 4 stroke.

Any evidence of a valve train either overhead valves or side valves and a flat head.

Mike

6. jethro

jethro TS Member

The front left side of the engine is where the serial #'s are found on the Harley singles ,example (58st****)which would be a 1958 model ST followed by a four digit number. Harley made these from 1948 to 1965. The first ones were 125cc then a 165cc and later ones had a 175cc engine. All of these were 2 stroke and had a Sportster style fuel tank with the ignition switch built right into the tank.The fuel cap had a measuring cup on the bottom side for mixing the proper oil to gas ratio.They actually made a model that they called a Hummer in the mid 50's.They also made a model called a Scat which was kind of an off road model.The shifter and the kick start lever are on the left side.BSA also made a single cylinder motor cycle at this same time. Harley and BSA bikes were based off the German DKW which they copied after WW2. Hope this helps. Jeff Ira

7. Bvr Tail

Thanks everyone. From the link, and the serial no., it appears to be a 1962 Harley "Scat" off-road bike.

A whopping 10 HP.

Needs a lot of work.

Danny

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Lot of nice old photo's of the harleys in the link above.

I bought a new 125cc harley enduro model ion the early 70's that was a 2 stroke and it also had the mixing cup attached to the gas cap.

Fog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.