1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Help - 2012 Nissan Frontier

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by StevensMan, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevensMan

StevensMan TS Member

Help - I purchase a 2012 Nissan Frontier - 6 cylinder. The Dealer sticker stated it was supposed to get 17-21 miles per gallon of gas. So far with a little over seven thousand miles on the truck my miles per gallon have not exceeded fourteen. Any ideas as to how to improve the gas milage. I spoke to someone who said possibly adjusting the computer in the car???

Any responses will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here ya go...

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/heres-why-real-world-mpg-doesnt-match-epa-ratings.html

3. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

steve i have the same truck and i an getting about 12 miles to the gal the rest is nisson bs

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Don't be adjusting the computer in the car. I highly doubt you have the equipment and programs neccessary, but in the event you do you probably realize it'll void you warranty for pretty much any failure that could be computer related.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Rememeber those milage numbers are estimates only you may never see that with your vehicle. However some simple things you can do would be increase the air pressuers in your tires by 2 PSI. Steady speeds help (cruise control use) when able

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Let the motor break-in and you may see a increase there also

7. KooJo

KooJo Member

1. Use Mobil 1 motor oil your engine will run cooler because less fiction.
    2. Change your air filter often if you drive on dirt roads.
    3. Air pressure in the tires are important.
    4. Try difference brands of gas, the only real difference is the additives, my wife car runs better with chevron and we got 22 miles a gallon on a trip to Fairbanks last summer driving the speed limit.
    I hope this helps. Her car has 100,000 miles on it. I changed the timing chain belt before the trip also the automatic transmission oil.It's a Japanese car, no more Chevy's for me I can't afford the maintenance.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Figure that Synthetic oil delays break-in but it will take almost 30k for the engine to get to their top mileage potential,..ethanol content will keep the mileage lower than expected and that you have very little control over...that said, engine size doesn't help you estimate gas consumption...remember its all about BTUs and horsepower..a 6 banger making 300hp will use pretty much the same amount of fuel as a 300hp v8,..just have to accept it that nothing comes free

9. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Maybe it's just me, but I have always seemed to get better gas mileage than the estimates. I have a 2007 Pathfinder with almost 150K on it and I get 18.5 or more around the area with the cheapest regular and over 20 with premium. Often 22 mpg if I use some name brands. Some name brands are no better than the 7-11 or other convenience store gas though.

On trips I generally use premium and get about 24 mpg. I use the cruise control on trips and use it here in the Tampabay area when I can (though at this time of the year there are many of our northern friends here and the roadways are really crowded).

I had another Pathfinder, a 1994, and it got pretty good mileage, though not as good as this one.

I used non-ethanol for a while and really saw mileage improve, but it never came down, in this area, when ethanol gas started dropping.

Bob

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Something ain't right. I have the full size crew cab 4wd with 300+ HP V8 and get 13-14 MPG with my very heavy right foot. Get 18 mpg on the interstate cruising 75 mph. Your fuel mileage seems at least 4-5 mpg low to me especially for a V6. Perhaps it's the winter blend gas?

11. TC

TC TS Member

10% Ethanol blends can result in a 20% decrease in mileage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.