1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT HELP 03' CHEVY TRUCK Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by showdawg, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

2003 chevy truck ran out of gas today. Put gas in it, now wont turn over, wont do diddly. Acts like neutral safety is activated or possibly the security deal has something to do with it, no fire to fuel system, or starter, no fire to starter relay in fuse box, even with switch in "crank" position. anyone ever run into this?????? truck has been perfect, with no problems untill I run her outta gas, now this?? seems strange, Thanks in advance

Showdawg

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

there is a crank fuse in fuse box,,,,under hood or left side of dash board ,,,open door to acsess,,,the factory scurety system,,,lite on dashboard is a fuel cut off ,,,activated by improper key,,,ecm will not comand pump to pump fuel,,check ecm fuses,,factory alarm or after market????

3. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

"won't turn over, won't do diddly". Don't get mad, but is that the original battery? May have worked it a little trying to re-start it after it ran out of gas...

I replaced the alternator on one, cranked it up and ran fine. Went in the house and ate lunch. Came back out and the darn thing would turn over but wouldn't start. I then noticed after a while that I could not hear the humming of the fuel pump (located in gas tank). had to beat on the gas tank until I heard the fuel pump kick in to get it started, but just sheer coincidence one gave out right after the other. Good luck.

4. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

factory alarm, as soon as this thing quit on me. I cant find anything blown.

5. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

battery is new, i shorted the solenoid on starter, engine turned over very good no fire no fuel

showdawg

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Do the work and make sure the cable ends, and battery terminals are clean. If it has a spacer between two hot cables, take it out and clean. Next check to see that the positive lug isn't pulling out of the battery.

Not familiar with an 03, but do you have a junction box just away from the battery, it could be mounted on the fan shroud---passenger side? If it does, look to see if it has a fusible link.

Next, go to your fuse relay center under the hood, if you have a simple test light you can run thru the maxi-fuses, pull and check if you don't. Check the high amp fuses first, it's probably a 50. ABS is likely the only one higher at 60. If nothing there, disconnect the ground cable a few minutes.

At any rate, you may very well be looking at dropping the tank-----or scooting the bed to put a new pump in. Never/ever run one out, I treat 1/2 tank as empty. If you do have to put a pump in, get the pigtail that goes along with it and a new screen, and new filter.

If you need one, and can wait, this is a good place to get one, or any of the online GM Parts places, just be wary of freight with any of them. http://store.getgmparts.com/

7. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Lights radio ac/heat works, truck turns over when u short the solenoid, so that should rule out battery/ and or connections. it acts like its in gear, act like it would if u tried to start while in drive,,,,

8. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Please let us know what it was when you get it figured out. I have an '03 as well and would be interested in knowing. Don't ya just hate that kind of crap? I received a "potential recall" on the guages for both my '03 and '04 just within the past week or so, but I don't think there is any correlation with what you have.

Mike in VA

9. tazjet

tazjet TS Member

The positive cable has two cables at the battery. Try grabbing the cables and wiggle them back and forth, then tighten. Should fix the problem pronto.
    Rob

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

You have to go to your dealer and get the computer reset and the fuel pump needs to be primed. Then it will start. When you run out of gas a lot of new cars and truck have this restart problem. I work for Toyota and all are Hybrid has the same no start in the computer when you run out of gas.

11. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

If the problem is a code in the computer, I wonder if it could be cleared by disconnecting the battery for a while ?

12. peavine

peavine TS Member

check the ignition E fuse IGN E in the under hood fuse block. You might also swap out the starter relay with another one in the fuse block to see if it will crank. I've replace some ignition switches before, but not for this concern. Other than that, you could have some security issues. Hope this helps, good luck Jonathan Taylor.

13. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Go out side turn headlights on for 15 min then start car that breaks the code its went into , On computor try this it works on chevys

Pat Kelley

14. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Sound like one of two things frist check the roll over switch to see if it is triped as the pump mite over heated the circuit went it was out of fuel the owners manule will tell you were it is located so you can reset it also the fuel pump relay has a start run computer chip in it that mit have burn out and my have to replce it but I would look to the roll over switch frist it would give you a no start no fuel if it is triped good luck

15. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Problem solved, had blown fuse (pcm) whatever that is, in fuse block under hood, 20 amp, replaced end of problem. Thanks for everyones input. Ironic that that fuse blowed when truck ran out of gas.

Showdawg

16. 682LINY

682LINY Member

PCM is power train control module,,,other wise computer,,,early ones were ecm,,,engine control module,,,,didint I tell you to check that about 20 postes ago????and there aint no rollover switch that I know of on chevy,,,,I have about 300 of them in fleet,1999-2007 all 2500 or 3500,,New York City Transit,,,,some gas some deisel....If they stay alive in NY streets they live anywhere,,,,,Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

03 chevy truck code problem