1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Heatpump and AC

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80cmbo, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80cmbo

k80cmbo TS Member

I have had two homes with heat pumps. The first I replaced with a gas fired unit.This heat pump was 15 years old.I replaced it due to it's age.Or so I thought. The second one I was going to replace with another gas unit,but sold the house.This unit was only two years old.It,at two years old was no better then the first one.As for the make. I don't remember what eather one was. I live in the northeast.It gets to cold here for heat pumps.I come the the idea that anything below 40 F is to cold for a heat pump.I'll never have another one.

2. trobmx14

trobmx14 TS Member

Either unit is good.I work on all Makes and some are trouble free and some have problems. That goes for all brands.I reccomend going with the contractor that you have the most confidence in rather than brand.

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mr. Charles, do I understand that you sell and install AC units in other people's homes that you think are inferior? If so, what does that say about your ethics, or lack of same?

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Anonymous:

I think it says that if a customer ask for his opinon he will tell them what he thinks is the truth because he has worked on all of them in the past but some people still would want the trane brand just because Joe Blow has one and never had trouble with it so im sure he is there to make the customer happy because the old saying is the customer is all ways right even though that might not be.

I used to sell Satellite equipment in the past and everyone was wild about the houston tracker systems but I hated them because every bad storm the power supply would get knocked out it seemed but the customer wouldn't take my advice and still expected me to repair it for free a lot of times because they would say it just went out and was working fine after the storm.

So I think what Mr Charles might be saying he has less trouble with the York brand im sure he might make more money on doing a lot of repairs on the other brands but if he is like I was I would rather the customer to have trouble free problems because it gets old after awhile doing repeat service on the same unit and plus most honest service men hate to charge the same customer over and over for the service calls or at least I did most of the time I done a lot for free maybe that is why im not doing it anymore.

Foghorn

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mr. Horn, I assume Mr. Charles wasn't forced to become a Trane dealer, you know that "inferior" equipment that he pedals. He became a Trane dealer by choice so I assume his motive was to screw his customers. If he thought York was so good, just why didn't he become a York dealer?

You can draw whatever conclusion you want, but to me if it stinks it's probably a skunk.

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well I would figure he is a York Dealer also, maybe that is why he switched but im sure by still being a trane dealer then he could order parts direct if needed instead of going thru a lot of middle men but I don't have a clue on anything he does but I just was thinking on my own I know you are getting a kick out of it anyway since you like to stir the pot on every thread you post on.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

MR Horn

7. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

what model # are you looking at 13s.e.e.r. up to 19+ ?
    here is a little info and you can draw your own conclusions
    Trane purchased G.E. in the 70s and kept two main compents with out change ,the
    compressor ( clima-tuff) and the spine fin, one contious piece condenser coil
    *open question how do sell and represent something you dis like?

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mr. Foggy, I just took what the gentleman said at face value and didn't speculate like you did. If that's stirring the pot, so be it, however, I'm not the one disparaging a product I've acquired a dealership to sell. Assuming he's also a York dealer is preposterous since you have no way of knowing that and Mr. Charles certainly didn't say or even hint as such a thing. Frankly, Foghorn, I thought you had more sense.

9. smartass

smartass TS Member

Actually Chuck, Foggy, said, "... I don't have a clue on anything he does...". Does that sound like he knows quite well what you do? Foggy is the one who tried to start a pissing contest, not me.

OK, I now understand that somebody held a gun to your head and made you become a Trane dealer. Mystery solved.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

unles you live in the south or southwest stay away from a heat pump. i worked on them in 20below weather and came to hate them. i was a lennox dealer for 33 years and always thought they were the best

11. trobmx14

trobmx14 TS Member

Either unit is good.I work on all Makes and some are trouble free and some have problems. That goes for all brands.I reccomend going with the contractor that you have the most confidence in rather than brand.

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mr. Charles, do I understand that you sell and install AC units in other people's homes that you think are inferior? If so, what does that say about your ethics, or lack of same?

13. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Anonymous:

I think it says that if a customer ask for his opinon he will tell them what he thinks is the truth because he has worked on all of them in the past but some people still would want the trane brand just because Joe Blow has one and never had trouble with it so im sure he is there to make the customer happy because the old saying is the customer is all ways right even though that might not be.

I used to sell Satellite equipment in the past and everyone was wild about the houston tracker systems but I hated them because every bad storm the power supply would get knocked out it seemed but the customer wouldn't take my advice and still expected me to repair it for free a lot of times because they would say it just went out and was working fine after the storm.

So I think what Mr Charles might be saying he has less trouble with the York brand im sure he might make more money on doing a lot of repairs on the other brands but if he is like I was I would rather the customer to have trouble free problems because it gets old after awhile doing repeat service on the same unit and plus most honest service men hate to charge the same customer over and over for the service calls or at least I did most of the time I done a lot for free maybe that is why im not doing it anymore.

Foghorn

14. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mr. Horn, I assume Mr. Charles wasn't forced to become a Trane dealer, you know that "inferior" equipment that he pedals. He became a Trane dealer by choice so I assume his motive was to screw his customers. If he thought York was so good, just why didn't he become a York dealer?

You can draw whatever conclusion you want, but to me if it stinks it's probably a skunk.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well I would figure he is a York Dealer also, maybe that is why he switched but im sure by still being a trane dealer then he could order parts direct if needed instead of going thru a lot of middle men but I don't have a clue on anything he does but I just was thinking on my own I know you are getting a kick out of it anyway since you like to stir the pot on every thread you post on.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

MR Horn

16. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

what model # are you looking at 13s.e.e.r. up to 19+ ?
    here is a little info and you can draw your own conclusions
    Trane purchased G.E. in the 70s and kept two main compents with out change ,the
    compressor ( clima-tuff) and the spine fin, one contious piece condenser coil
    *open question how do sell and represent something you dis like?

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Mr. Foggy, I just took what the gentleman said at face value and didn't speculate like you did. If that's stirring the pot, so be it, however, I'm not the one disparaging a product I've acquired a dealership to sell. Assuming he's also a York dealer is preposterous since you have no way of knowing that and Mr. Charles certainly didn't say or even hint as such a thing. Frankly, Foghorn, I thought you had more sense.

18. smartass

smartass TS Member

Actually Chuck, Foggy, said, "... I don't have a clue on anything he does...". Does that sound like he knows quite well what you do? Foggy is the one who tried to start a pissing contest, not me.

OK, I now understand that somebody held a gun to your head and made you become a Trane dealer. Mystery solved.

19. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

unles you live in the south or southwest stay away from a heat pump. i worked on them in 20below weather and came to hate them. i was a lennox dealer for 33 years and always thought they were the best

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hi Ajax, there's truth to the heat pump not having the ability to heat well in very cold weather. While you're certainly in wet, moss, and snails heaven, I doubt your cold level is any more severe than mine and my heat pump works quite adequately. Then mine, and I assume most of the newer models, have a system that supplements the standard heat pump and provides electric heating temporarily if needed. I've had heat pumps in the last three homes and from '79 through this date.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.