1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ hearing aids

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by johnboy, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy

johnboy Member

Have been suffering from high frequency hearing loss for sometime now. Have had two fitting several years ago where the device was adjusted, stuck in the ear and then asked "how is your hearing". Not a very good evaluation for the very pricey devices. I did not think to ask about wearing the aid for several days before deciding to buy, which I guess is possible. I am looking for recommendations on particular brands, technology, service etc.
    Also, spent a couple years in the late 60's with the US Army where I was around some very loud stuff and hearing protection was not mentioned nor provided. Has anyone had any experience with the VA providing or assisting in hearing aids. Thanks

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

John,

I have a 10% VA disability because of my hearing loss. In Texas, each county has a VA Service Officer who is paid by the county to be your advocate in dealing with the VA. The VA Service Officer in my county is a retired Navy E-8 that became my new best friend. She took care of the paper work, told me exactly what was going to happen when and made it a painless ordeal. I have little patience with bureaucracy and put off applying to the VA for years because I just didn't need the heartburn. I finally went to the VA Service Officer and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

I was awarded 10% disability and given two Siemens hearing aids that retail for about $8,000 plus all the batteries and accessories for life. I had used hearing aids before, but these are fantastic. They have remote volume control and even a control that allows you to change them for a high noise environment so it only amplifies sound coming from the front of you. Great help in noisy restaurants, for example.

The attitude of the VA is soooo much different today than when we got out. We were stiff armed and told to go away. Our war was not very popular and the gov't just didn't want to be reminded of it through us. It is a new ball game now. The attitude of the folks I dealt with at the VA Hospital was first rate.

Check into it. It might surprise you. It sure did surprise me.

Old Texas Marine

3. stims

stims TS Member

Hi John

I have bilateral hearing loss No V.A. benefits but a Have been using Resound hearing aids for the past 10 years, They are digital and automatically adjust volume for different noise levels. I looked at the siemens brand as well, they are all pretty comparable with todays technology but like Old Texas Marine I get batteries and maintenance service for life be sure you get that! the cost of batteries add up

4. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I have been through the mill looking for hearing aids. Though I too served, I was not entitled to benefits.
    If this is your case, I would recommend going to Costco. The price is half of the others, and it is top of the line.
    Best to you and yours,
    Dave
    "WHAT????!!" :)

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would get an exam from an Audiologist who would recommend the correct hearing aid instead of buying whatever the Hearing Aid store has on hand.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gettin mine at 9 am tomorrow. I'll report in

7. wdturner

wdturner Member

I too got mine from the VA. They are really willing to help you now. Much different than before. Mine are PHONAK, made in Switzerland.They work very well, I too have high frequency loss. Tom

PS Good luck with your new aids tomorrow, Jack

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Would not recommend my 5500 dollar audibels. Eighteen months after initial fitting, four "rebuilds" or maybe five. Don't know what I'll do next.

Funny, Caterpillar, who didn't mandate hearing protection till just a few years ago, would not check my hearing the last two years before retirement. Probably would have been too big a gap from the baseline established when I hired in.

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

I appreciate the helpful information from everyone. Johnboy

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My experience was not good. I wnet for the best thay had and they would not program. So I left and hav eto go back next week. You'da thunk, they'da had that done before I got there. Just a bit miffed over that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.