1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Have you checked the price of LP gas as of late

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I've been thinking of converting my 93 ford ranger to run on propane. Fill it out of a bulk tank at home. Road taxes? What taxes.

Jim

2. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

3.32. I wish I could get it for that in Northern CA. How about 4.31 here.
    Dan

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'm sure it's a bit less. I read about some guys in Australia that developed a high pressure port injection system that actually matched or beat gasoline performance.

There is a few systems out there that do the low pressure injection into individual manifold runners That seem to work good. The ones that draw a fuel air mix thru an existing carb, As in a duel fuel setup seem to offer the greatest efficiency loss, But they are the cheapest to install.

Jim

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

The Schwanns home delivery fleet is most fueled by propane. At their distibution center, they have a large tank so that they can fill everynight when they come come. Some utility companies have propane powered trucks and vans. They don't have a long driving range out of town, but if you are home eveynight, they can work good. If you go on the road with them, you can fill up at most places that fill up your propane tank for you barbecue.

Compressed Natural Gas also works good for local delivery vehicles and gets to use the Car Pool lane in Kalifornia. You can pipe the Natural Gas into your garage and buy your own pump. For $3000+, the pump will pull Nat Gas from your house lines, compress it and fill your tank at night while you are sleeping. Next morning the auto is full and ready to travel. Not a lot of places to fill Compressed Natural Gas when traveling accross the country. IMHO Omaha

5. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Its $3.25 around here for LPG.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It was $2.14 here in Mo. last week.

Jim

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

In 1965 it was $0.13 a gallon, and if you paid cash, it was $0.11 a gallon.

And I thought that was stiff enough when you're filling a 1000 gallon tank.

God, it would really hurt now.

Hauxfan!

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

With electricity at $0.065 per KWh (over 1000 KWh) there is 50% MORE BTU's per dollar compared to propane at $2.25 per gallon. My calculation is based on forced air electric resistance heat at 98% efficiency and forced air propane heat at 85% efficiency. I heated my 24 x 36 shop with electric this past winter instead of propane and it worked well. The electric heater (5000 watt hanging from ceiling) is a little slow on recovery compared to the propane heater but it kept the shop at an even temperature as long as the overhead door was kept closed.

I hope the electric rate does not increase the way petroleum based fuels have. Maybe when the speculative bubble in crude bursts we will get some relief in gasoline, diesel, propane and home heati oil.

Jim Skeel

9. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i had a pellet stove at my last house 1400sq ft it was great took 1bag every 24hrs some walmarts sell them for less than anyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.