1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT have brake ? for chevy, gmc mechanics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mark54, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark54

mark54 Member

I have a 2000 Tahoe that makes an RRRR noise & pulsing in the brake pedal, but the ABS light never comes on. It only does it just as I am rolling to a stop, about the last 20 feet, never on a higher speed braking.I have replaced all 4 rotors & pads for inspection. Had it before & after. Thank you for any info you can give me, & I will post the results when it is fixed. Mark54 in Lititz

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

I own a '96 Riviera that did the same thing. I thought it was just a minor annoyance until the POS started trying to slowly creep into every intersection, no matter how hard I pushed the pedal. Had to throw it in neutral to avoid liability. Fix turned out to be a wiring harness that ran along the firewall. Dealership discovered this after they threw all new wheel bearings, master cylinder, and an antilock pump controller at it first. Got it fixed for the low price of $2800, out the door(never to return).

3. Maz

Maz TS Member

I had same problem on Silverado turned out to be a wheel bearing.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If you think it is a wheel bearing failure find a straight road with little traffic and drive 45 MPH. Drive from the center of the road turning right to the edge and then left to the edge a couple of times. Don't turn so sharp as to make it dangerous but as sharply as you feel safe. You will be able to tell where the bearing noise is coming from doing this if it is indeed a bearing failure. Jackie B.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The pulsing sounds like your anti-lock braking system may be malfunctioning. I would take it to a certified mechanic and soon. I love working on my own vehicles and do alot of my own maintainence. That said, i never hesitate to admit my lack of knowledge when it comes to the ABS and Traction Control systems. For the safety of your family and yourself, have it checked out by the pro's. It could be something that could leave you stranded or worse yet barreling down the highway with faulty to no brakes. Just Say'n..........

Matt

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I used to see this problem a lot with Fords and it was almost always a miscommunication between the speed sensors (usually front) and the only real way to fix it was to replace the front wheel bearing assemblys (they come with new abs sensors). The rear sensor could also be foulded up with metalic debri, so you may want to pull it off as well.

I have also had some luck by removing the front sensors and cleaning the magnetic pick ups....but, if that failed, new hub assemblys.

7. Three Yellow Dogs

Three Yellow Dogs TS Member

been there with the same problem. its the antilock brake sensor on either side. G. M. has a recall on them. could be fixed for free.

8. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

It is your abs kicking in. It usually happens due to rust building up under the sensors that are built into the front wheel bearings increasing the air gap causing that wheel to read stop while others are spinning so the abs kicks in to get that wheel to spin again. The repair is sometimes we get luckly with removing the sensor and cleaning the rust but on often, it is best to replace the wheel bearing, a shop should have a scan tool so they can watch to see which side is the issue.

John MI

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Most GM trucks have a removable sensor so you don't have to change the wheel hub assembly.

10. emm2

emm2 Member

Hc John is correct. You have to remove the wheel speed sensor and sand the mating surface. It is a big problem on GM vehicles. If there is any movement in the bearing then replace the hub assembly but if it is tight then this will work.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Pull the ABS fuse and see if it stops.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Front wheel bearings are really bad to go out on those and even newer, it have them checked real close. If they get loose it messes with the ABS.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The easy way to determine if a wheel bearing is worn and if so, which one, is to turn left and right while driving in a parking lot or other open area. The noise from a worn bearing will be loudest when it is under load - if the noise can be heard on left turns, the right bearing is worn.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.