1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Guns vs Series E-Bonds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just got back from helping two elderly relatives getting their lives in order. Had to get a locksmith to drill out a safe deposit box that had not been touched in 30+ years. There was a load of series E bonds. Most of them were purchased between 1971 & 1976. After giving them to our personal banker, I received a phone called and he told me they had appreciated 500%. Just wondering how many of our guns that we purchased for investment have been able to do that. I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing that with some of my investments--safe, & basically tax free. Plus you don't lose sleep.

Lou

2. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Diversifying one's portfolio in order for there to be long term steady growth is what we constantly hear, but actually finding a decent financial advisor can be tricky. I kick myself for not buying bonds and gold 20 years ago, but I received some bad advice (hindsight). . .

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since we have polluted the money supply with another 700 trillion of borrowing, Those bonds may have the same value the sears catalog in the outhouse used to.

Fed does not release M3 money supply figures any more, they don't want you to know.

I would put that into part gold, part utility stocks, and part into Canadian energy lease royalties.

I am not real sure of the future any more. Too much debt in America. And anyone who thinks you can borrow your way out of that kind of trouble has some real bad tobacco in his pipe.

HM

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Not a bad, safe return. For those not good at maff, though, here are the returns per year(number of years +/-, depending on when bought).

2008-1971 = 37 years rate of return 4.45% for 500% total return.

2008-1976 = 32 years rate of return 5.15% for 500% total return.

2008-1973.5 = 34.5 years rate of return 4.78% for 500% total return.

Series E and EE bonds interest is reportable as taxable income for federal income tax purposes in the year they are redeemed.

For comparison, Progress Energy stock has paid an increasing dividend every year since 1976, averaging about 5% of the original stock value, but also averaging 5% of the increasing stock value. The stock value today is about 291% of the original 1976 value, adjusted for splits. Total return is in the range of 1200% over the same period, before taxes.

This is NOT a recommendation to buy Progress Energy stock, just for entertainment purposes only. The reason I used Progress stock as an example, is that utility stocks were once considered as retirees' and "little old ladies" investments.

Danny

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Did he mention how much the income tax was going to be on the earnings. I'm sure someone wants to know.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Better cash them in before Nov.4th, if Obama gets in there will not be much left.

JMHO...Jerbear

7. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

635G

Sounds like found money to me. Hope the folks you helped appreciate your efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.