1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT. Guitar Legend dies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe G. NJ, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Legendary guitar player and inventor Les Paul died at age 94 from complications of pneumonia.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Didn't he do a tv commercial for Coors beer a few years back where he asks a young guy if he can see his guitar, plays a few amazing chords, then hands the guitar back to the guy who says, "hey, you're pretty good. What's your name?"

He responds with, "it's on your guitar."

I liked that commercial.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7iGXP_UBog4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7iGXP_UBog4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not many people know he was the inventor of multitrack recording, in addition to the electric guitar.

His wife, Mary Ford, would sing different parts as he dubbed the guitar tracks on an old wollensak recorder.

In the 50's they had a couple songs go to the top of the charts.

Those were the days.

HM

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Another great one passes. Man, he could play a guitar.

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Les Paul. He was a creative American great! RIP. At a Club I will be playing at tonight I am sure we will celebrate his life playing Les Paul guitars of course. Todd

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-World-Has-Lost-a-prnews-1763182219.html?x=0&.v=1

6. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Never met him but I have 2 of his guitars a Standard in Heritage Cherry Sunburst and a Black Studio and I love them both.

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Listened to recordings of his and Mary's this evening on the way home from work. The station I listen too has a young man who's show is about him calling celebritys and talking with them about their careers or their affilation with others. He had the interview on tape from a few months ago. What a career and life that inventer and musician had. Dan

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

In his later years, his hands got to where he could pretty much only use one or two fingers on his fretting hand, just like Django...and yet there he was, playing out with all kinds of different people, well after he was in his 90s.

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Definitely playing his guitar tonight. I'll be sure to catch one of his shows with the big man in about 75 years!
    -Trappy

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

He is enshrined in the game Guitar Hero as well. Even people who don't really play the guitar will remember his name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.