1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Great View of Saturn

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dmarbell, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

One of my other hobbies is astronomy. I have a lot of trouble participating, because it's at night and I have trouble staying up past ten now as I get older. I was actually looking at Jupiter this morning at 5:30 though, almost straight up in the sky at that time from NC.

This is a great view of Saturn. Don't remember how to imbed the thread. The link is too long to fit in the space above.

Danny

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/nasa-cassini-orbiter-snaps-unbelievable-picture-saturn-144133480.html

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Here is the pic.

Danny

[​IMG]

3. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

That's pretty cool! But please don't burdon us with a picture of Uranus..:)

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

That is very nice to see. Thank you Danny

5. big joe

big joe Member

Neat picture! Did you take this yourself? What kind of equipment did you use?

Joe

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Joe,

Check the link. The pic was taken by the Cassini Orbiter from the far side of Saturn, with the sun blocked out. (Basically, I guess, a complete solar eclipse by Saturn as seen from its far side!)

Danny

7. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Big Joe - I looked at this REAL early this AM and thought, "What the heck kind of backyard telescope does Danny have!!!!" Then I saw the link he put on!

Cool hobby Danny, we live in a very rural area and there is a 17.5" mirror -telescope 7 miles from us that the members hunt and track asteroids. They have located many unknown asteroids. Not my thing, but it seems like a cool hobby.

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Looking at that picture makes a guy wonder what is it really like out there next to that big boy.

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend the movie "Mission to Mars." There is a very cool scene in it. The folks are trying to rescue someone trapped on Mars (in the future, of course), they have trouble, and have to abandon ship above Mars. Pretty realistic view of them in a decaying orbit above Mars, trying to catch up to another orbiting ship to fly it down to the planet.

There is a link to youtube to the scene. The whole movie is worth watching.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.