1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

OT:Great Flea Market Find Country Wood Duck Added!

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by train222, Jun 9, 2012.

1. train222

train222 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Hi All,

This is the latest addition to my Bundy Duck Collection. This is the first duck with this type of finish that I have added to my collection.

I have seen searching for this type of duck for a while, but the ones that I have seen for sale are virtually destroyed or the price was way more than I wanted to pay for it.

I just ran accross this one on the internet and it arrived today.

This one is called a Medium Size Country Wood Duck.

I spoke to John Bundy and he told me that this duck was made in the early 1980's. He also told me that the duck is still being made today, but the pattern has changed, some what over the years, especially on the head.

On this duck, he suggested we just leave it as is and not try to restore it, because it was in such nice shape for being over 34 years old.

Thanks for looking,

Stu

train222_2008_03032507.jpg

train222_2008_03032508.jpg

train222_2008_03032509.jpg

I thought I would share this Flea Market find with you….

For the past several years I have buying wood duck decoys at flea markets, garage sales, yard sales and thrift shops.

I have purchased about 25 of them so far and don’t spend more than $5.00 a piece for them.....Matter a fact most of them have been in the one to two dollar price range.

To be absolutely honest, I know nothing about Wood Decoy’s.

I just like the way the look out on display......

A week ago I went to one of the larger out door flea markets in my area.

One of the things I have learned over the years, about flea marketing is that you have to find the area of the market where the newbie’s set up (first timers).

Because most Markets have their steady professionals and they have the same stuff all the time and any new stuff they run across is always way over priced.

As we were walking around, my wife was a few tables in front of me and waved me over to the table she was at.

I went over to the table and it was a newbie…His first time at a flea market….

He really didn’t have a lot of stuff out, but setting out on the front of the table was a pair of decoys.

At first glance, they looked like they where plastic, but when I picked them up I realized that they where wood.

One duck had a full branded logo on the bottom and the other had an initial’s branded in.

As I said I know nothing about decoys and I have not run across any decoys like this before.

I ask the gentlemen what he wanted for them and he told me $20.00 for the pair.

He indicated that they had been in his family for a long time and that it was time for them to go to a new home.

Being the frugal (cheap) buyer that I am and the fact that I wanted to stay at my $5.00 maximum, I offered him $10.00 for the pair.

To my surprise he took the offer and bagged up the ducks for me and I took them home…

On the way home I was really wondering what they could be worth…Maybe $40.00, $50.00 each?

When I got home, I googled the manufactures name that was on the bottom ‘John Bundy & Company’…

To my surprise, their website popped up.

As I surfed thru the web site, I really started to get excited. There where 100’s of decoy’s listed for sale and they where priced from $195.00 to $495.00 each…

Wow what a home run…

But I didn’t see any pictures of the ones that I had brought..

So I sent an email to the company along with some photo’s of the decoys and indicated that I would call him on Monday…

When we spoke on the phone I was surprised to learn that the company has been making these decoys since the 60’s.

He told me that the decoy with the Gold Eye was a Lesser Scaup and was one of his favorite carvings. When he first offered this decoy for sale, his customers told him that the color of the eye was supposed to be Brown. So he only made a few of the ones with the Gold Eye, before for he switched to the Brown Eyes. He indicated that it was a very rare piece…

The second decoy was a Bufflehead that was made in the early 80’s. This was the first Bundy Decoy to be selected to be come a National Piece for the Ducks Unlimited for 1985/86. The ducks where ordered with the special DU brand. He indicated that they raised a lot of money for the Ducks Unlimited Program. Exactly 4000 of these ducks where produced for Ducks Unlimited. They where not allowed to make this same decoy again, for at least 10 years. The one that I have is an original decoy and not the DU model. He indicated that there where not many made in the 80’s when he first offered the duck for sale.

So here you have it….A great flea market find for $10.00..

Hope you enjoyed the story….

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

2. senorric

senorric Member

0   0   0

Hope you realize these are not "working" decoys. That being said, they are very nice looking decorative decoys -----

3. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Glad you got the good deal

Good looking decoys

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Thx for posting Stu

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Joe. you folks have it covered. Don't sell 'em Stu

6. train222

train222 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Snorric,

Yes I am well aware that these are decorative decoys and not working ones. Vintage working decoys are very difficult to find for under $5.00..

Joe,

Now you know Jack is the best resouce of knowlegde that we have here on Trapshooters....

Cubancigar,

Your welcome, I am sure...

MIA,

No plans to sell these puppies....

Thanks to all....

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

0   0   0

No plans to sell? Darnit, I was just getting ready to offer you $7.50 EACH! Oh well, nice looking pair. John

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

0   0   0

I have 3 carved decoys I bought when on the east coast w/second wife

1st Wood Duck Drake w/paper hanging tag w/details of history it is a STONEY CREEK DECOYS Ser#19354 it is signed and dated but is faded 1985

2nd American Wild Fowl Series 1985 by Craft-Tex Inc High Point NC WEA Mallard by Tca/Brett 8/24/88

3rd Classic Green Winged Teal Drake 1st Edition The Boyds Collection 1982-87
    signed by B.Ogburn in Antique Style

drlongshot_2008_030396.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030397.jpg

drlongshot_2008_030398.jpg

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

0   0   0

Nice wood Stu

Jim

10. train222

train222 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

BCNU:

John, Youve Got A Deal!

Dr.Longshot:

Nice decoy's. I haven't run accross anything like those, so far...But I am sure hoping that I do, at the right price.

Jim,

Don't forget, the Pa. State Shoot is this week....

Thanks All,

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

11. JACK

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Watch for these decoys. They are original decoratives and valued at about $900 each. Called by the maker's name, "Borretts". But in 2007 the originals got farmed out to China and replicated. the replicas can be had for about $250 each.
    mia_2008_0303322.jpg

mia_2008_0303323.jpg
    The wood ducks hang above my desk (and are dusty)

12. JACK

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

here are a couple more decoys
    mia_2008_0303324.jpg
    I bought this decoy for likely $25 at a antique mall sstore. It was painted all black. I bought it on a lark. I got it home, make a cocktail and used some paint thinner to remove a bit of the black and found this original paint underneath. But the story does ntoi end there. A year or so later (prob around '93 I was traveling to Krieghoff in PA to get my release trigger adjsuted on my ill-fated K80 and stopped at an antique store near ottsville. The store was closed bu tin the window was this exact smae bird that had been replicated and made inot a decorative. About a yar later I found the same decorative bird at a auction and bought it and another replicated decoy. I have tried to find the maker of this bird but unsuccessful. One of my proudest decoys simply because of all the histroy that goes with it.

Another
    mia_2008_0303325.jpg
    I have this stuff all around my house, on top of things, under beds, in closets. I swear the stuff grows in number as I often find things I forgot I have. i have a duck call collection that numbers 100+. MOst old, but new contest duck calls are very valuable as well.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I just love it when man brags about screwing his fellow man.

D0n

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

0   0   0

Look who's calling the kettle black.

15. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

0   0   0

All those ducks are nice looking. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

16. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

0   0   0

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

0   0   0

I want to know what Jack uses the hopper decoy for!!! Maybe a world record Brown Trout record attempt!!

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

0   0   0

I bought one like that years ago at a DU auction....cost a lot more than $5....quite a deal, and yes, they add a nice ambiance to a man cave...

19. JACK

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Joe. that "hopper" is the best of stories. Come on back tomorrow andI'll tell that story overnite

Big Don. I did not see where anyone was screwing anyone. Which post do you infer had theftery?

20. train222

train222 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jack,

To this day it amazes me that every time I put a post up about an item or two, that you can come up with a complete pristine collection of that item, that you own...

Wow!

Is there anything that you don't have?

Thanks for posting this pictures....

You have some really neat decoys there...

Good luck at your shoot this week...

Stu

Search tags for this page

boyds collection green teal drake