1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: GPS's for Traveling

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I have been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 205w and the TomTom one xl. I'm leaning toward the Garmin. Do any of you have these units and what have been your experiences? Thanks in advance...Randy

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Garmin all the way. I have used them since they 1st came out 20 yrs ago and the company is located in Olathe KS. Downloads/updates are free via their website also.

3. willing

willing Member

I will say the same thing for the Tom Tom. Had mine since last Xmas, took a quick trip of 1500 miles w/o a map just put in addresses and took me right there. One thing I particurally liked was when getting on or off interstates it tells you which lane. If I were buying one right now I would spend just a little more and get one that voice (text-tovoice)announced the streets.

Bill

4. FIB

FIB Member

Please keep the reviews/comments coming!

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Garmin is suppose to have the better maps according to reviews.

Garmin charges for map updates after a set period.

I've purchased the last two. You can download them, but the last was rather large and you might be better off ordering the CD, update unless you have a recently purchased computer that can handle the large program file that is needed to update the GPS via USB.

Make sure you can replace the battery without having to send in the unit for whatever brand you settle on.

Some of the older model Garmins require you to send in the unit for replacement if the the rechargeable battery dies. You are charged for this and they replace not give you back the same GPS unit. You lose your settings.

In any case, the voice prompts (with street name) is a must.

Don't leave the GPS in view, to include removing the fixture used to attach the unit to the windshield. I've been warned by two motels upon check-in to secure my GPS. Easy money for the bad guys...

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Go Garmin. I bought a Tom-Tom for my wife and it isnt in the same league as the Garmin I had to replace it with.

7. cle

cle Member

ATTENTION 5spd...............

Could you pass along any info on how to get free update downloads from Garmin.

Purchased a NUVI 350 in August, 2007 expecting that updates would be free. Not so......... In August, 2008 I get an e-mail from Garmin telling me it was time to update.........COST - $69.99. That was enough to "frost" me on Garmin for the future.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks/CLE RECTOR

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have the 250W. Definitely go with the wide screen for viewing, whatever model you end up choosing. Even thought some of the more economical versions do not say "street names", they do project the street names onto the screen as you're driving or in preparation for turns - decide what you need and stick to your budget.

The Garmin database, also makes a good phone directory if you're on the road...you can search, see phone numbers and call enroute. Easy to use.

Jay

9. FIB

FIB Member

Keep the reviews/experiences coming! From my internet research it seems like the Gamrin has a higher customer satisfaction but I know several people who love their TomTom's....Randy

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go with a wide screen such as the 250 or 350 Garmin

We have a Garmin with the added blue tooth and also an ability to download books - both of which can be heard through the Garmin unit or through your own speakers-- that is a feature worth having , particurally if you dont have blue tooth in your vehicle now

You are going to have this unit for quite awhile- get one with the features you want- the range in price isnt that great when you look for units that are on sale.

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Just purchased a Tom Tom one XL before I went to the MO Fall Hdc. I was more than pleased with the way it functioned. I did an up-date right away and have up to a year for another free up-date. Much better than the Lowrance I have had for several years. Garmin makes a good product, but for the money and performance I don't think you can beat the Tom Tom.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

O.K. You want more comments. Mine don't alway agree with the ones above. (1) Do not get one with a rechargeable battery. You're a slave to the recharger and
    when the cells go bad, they're expensive, and maybe hard to find. Much better
    to use replaceable AA alkaline batteries.

(2) Forget about the screen size, you're never going to look at it anyway.
    The voice directions are great and you can keep your eyes on the road.

(3)True about Garmin updates. I paid $ 75 for the 2008 updates, and it didn't update SH_T. Roads that had been changed several years back, showed the same as before.

(4)Consider your cell phone GPS. Mine is $10 a month.It updates constantly, and it works without having to find the satellites. Disadvantage is that it doesn't work if you can't connect with a cell tower - which is why I use my Garmin Streetpilot as well.

13. Desert Breeze

Desert Breeze TS Member

Garmin. I can HEAR her telling me what to do. Just like home.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Check out this Magellan Maestro 4040. Have one and love it. Have another on order. Good features, GREAT price. For another 27.00 you can buy an additional 2 year replacement warranty.

Bob

15. tp

tp TS Member

Love my Garmin Street Pilot. Never leave home without it. Has all the features. Will find restaurants, motels, gas stations, points of interest, etc. One I really like (especially in cities), is it tells you, with plenty of time, which lane you need to be in for upcoming turns. Very easy to operate.

16. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Sorry. Try this link.

Bob

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm using a TomTom one 3rd edition. Bought it last november for $150. For what I need it for, its more than adequate, when I use it, i pretty much already know where i'm going, and just want to take the most efficient route possible. Although one time it told me to go straight down a dead end road, and offered no other solution how to get where I was going, which is fine if you have a sense of direction and can get going on generally the right direction, then it'll recalculate after a couple miles, however, if you are going to be 100% dependent on it, you might want to look for something a little higher on the quality scale. It did get me to Sparta from western NY flawlessly this summer though.

18. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I must say that the wealth of knowledge this site has on it is amazing. And I'm glad that there many different opinions. Thanks again. I'm 99-100% sure I'm purchasing the garmin. Thanks....Randy

19. 5spd

5spd TS Member

This is where I got my info, link above.

I only use the handheld models, I have a GPS plus II and a GPS plus III, also a Lowrace handheld as I am not a fan of the street styles, or a talking versions. These are easily mounted on the dash or lower with the antenna extensions for out of view of thieves.
    I still use maps mostly also.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I love my Alpine Blackbird, use it every day traveling to bid projects. It is rechargable but I just leave it pluged in the truck day and night so i don't need to bring it in for charging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.