1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: GPS recommendation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shelly, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelly

shelly TS Member

The more expensive the unit the more features it has. First, determine the features you want, then start comparing prices between the brands. No point in paying for features you don't want and won't use.

2. willing

willing Member

I have a Tomtom XXL550, works like a charm. Got it from walmart $108. plus shipping.

Bill

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I have two Garmins and would not buy anything else. I think if you look
    at the reviews for GPS's you'll see what I mean.
    Mike C.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got a "Tomton" and am very happy with it. Took it out of the box, plugged it in and it took all of 5 minutes to learn how to use it.

5. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

APrice, I have used the Garmin 265W and it works very good. Now I have a Garmin1390T which works better. It has the lane assist which is very nice when in a big city and don't know which lane to be in. It also has a traffic alert which is very good also,but they have to have a radio station which is broadcasting the above information for whatever city you're in.Hope this helps. George

6. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I purchased new TOMTOM 550M this year to replace a Garmin C340(yes that one is old). Took it on my first trip and didn't like a few things, however that could be user error also. I ended up back with my C340 as by the end of the trip I simply didn't trust the tomtom. Keep in mind, I think I had some user error planning my route however.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Garmin is the best, but sometimes she gets pissed off if you don't follow her directions and she has to recalculate. HMB

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin and I have had terrible luck with Garmins (and they are made here in Kansas). Each one of us have been routed WAY out of our way going to shoots. One time, we ended up spending an extra 2 hours on the road in Pennsylvania that was totally unnecessary.

I bought a top of the line NUVI, and the mount fell apart on it after only 1 week. Piece of crap.

I used to buy Magellens, since they were the first available, and I have been buying GPSs for a while now. Their service SUCKS.

We buy Tom Toms now, and have had great luck with them. It's the only one that I recommend. Several friends now own them, and they love them too.

9. B V

B V TS Member

We have a Garmin nuvi 255W and it is better than either of the Magellans we had previously.

This unit was about $80 on black Friday.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

We have 1 of the 130-S models. I think they are the lowest cost of all of them. They are pretty basic. We have two of the 140-S, and I like those because they tell you which lane that you should be taking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.