1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Gout ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ljutic111, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Who has it ? How did it Start and What are you Doing about it ?? I started having a sharp pain in the Big toe of my left foot 3 days ago , now today I also had the pain at the base of my big toe near the arch of my foot . Doesn`t last long but I heard it was very painfull as time goes on and not treated properly . Started reading what causes it and how to relieve the pain . I know it`s just the beginning and I will be seeking the help of my doctor very soon .

2. pdq

pdq Member

I've had it for 20 years. It is fundamentally hereditary (do some Google searches) but also triggered by certain types of foods if you are prone to it. Lots of info on the internet explaining it.

What to do about it? Simple -- have your doctor refer you to a rheumatologist. Untreated it can cause collateral damage. Hard, crystalline tofi deposits, arthritis, etc.

I got the referal 3 years ago after requiring surgery to both feet. I've been pain free since, and meds I'm now on are causing the tofi deposits thru-out various joints to be re-absorbed, and my uric acid levels are both stable and well within normal range.

Don't wait -- this is very treatable in a non-complicated way. If you get a major episode you'll barely be able to walk for the better part of a week the pain is so intense.

Pete

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Yeah, gout is lots of fun. Get to your Doc asap. He will most likely precribe a pain killer and an anti inflamatory such as Indomethacin. Takes about two days for the meds work well. After that, control your uric acid intake.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ljutic111 did you see your doctor if not you should get his/her opinion don't assume it is Gout unless you have been accurately diagnosed.

I have the same type of pains in feet that you describe but I do not have Gout.

Bob Lawless

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Thanks guys , I`ve done the search on the internet but wanted some input from those who have it and being Trapshooters , you are a bunch of helpfull people . Has anyone had an episode during shooting on the line ?? I have been on Aleve for the last year for other ailments - knee and back problems - plus an asprin a day to keep the doctor away !!!! All is good so far .

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

In addition to this , about 6 months ago , the bottoms of both feet felt cold at times , usually as soon as I went to bed , but they were warm to the touch and not cold ? Doctor said I had Neuropathy and sent me to a Neurologist who stuck needles in my feet and legs , and comfirmed I had just that but very mild . If I rubbed Vicks on them it would feel good and I could get some sleep . Since then I hadn`t had it happen again ? Now this and all the signs point to Gout ? I should point out now that these new pains are mainly in my left foot and big toe . Today the pains have been 6 or 8 times in 6 hours . And YES I will be seeing my doctor and he`s a shooter too .

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I agree with Bob Lawless on this one. Do NOT assume it is gout.

I was diagnosed with gout for about five years - with no meds I was laid up for seven days - with meds for one week... In other words, no difference.

Appears I have a condition known as 'reactive arthritis' - symptoms on the surface are similar, but with a little looking are very different. One is that the pain can come and go quickly, and it can move around from joint to joint quickly as well - this is NOT typical of gout).

The issue with your feet - have you had any balance problems?? Could be early signs of Diabetes as well.

Again, check things out with your doctor, and don't be afraid to challenge what he says - I did not and dealt with the pain and the side effects of gout meds for five years - all unnecessarily.

8. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I suffered with it for years. Those who have not had it can not understand the pain. It migrated from my feet and eventually to my knees. My doc finally put me on a med call Allopurinol and I have not had an episode now for years and have not noticed any side effects of the drug.

Tom

9. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

+ 1 for allopurinol

Charlie

10. glenns

glenns Member

300 mg of allopurinol daily (also took care of kidney stones)- have not had an gout attack in 5 years.

Glenn

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Got mine from medicine for treating high cholesterol. Doctor said they came down too fast triggering a real long bout!!

12. pdq

pdq Member

There's a very easy test to determine if it is gout. Your doc will insert a syringe into the affected joint and withdraw fluid & then examine if under a microscope. If it's gout, the fluid will be loaded with uric acid crystals.

I couldn't take the allopurinol -- caused liver functions to zoom up. Had to get off it.

Pete

13. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

I had a pain like you said and it was a bone spur around my big toe ,when I had my should operated on had them do the toe at the same time. bigunn

14. crk

crk Member

your Dr will easily know if it is gout or pseudo-gout (gout symptoms without high uric acid levels). Treatment is as others have stated. There is a cheap drug he may/will also prescribe called Colchicine. You take it as prescribed for immediate relief (usually 2 the first hour then one per hour till pain is gone or max dose is reached- about 4-6 doses). Pain will be gone in 8-24 hours and you can feel it relieving. Almost always hits the big toe on either foot the first times.

They will test you for uric acid in the blood. Mine is not high yet I still get the attacks. If you have a lot of attacks they may have you take one of those tablets each morning. Now, Uric acid is not a constant so you can be high- and not read high at the time they test you.

Sometimes dissolving 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink that a couple times will help ease the pain. It seems to help an anti-inflammatory get to the spot (like Advil or Aleve).

If you have gout - you will likely have another attack soon. Usually in the big toe (on the side), knees, shoulders, etc. I notice the ache coming on and take a pill. Usually kills it. Better than limping for a few days. Can be triggered by food, other meds, losing weight too fast. Losing weight helps eliminate the attacks if you have gout.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Whenever my gout acts up, I have a glass of cherry juice a couple of times a day.

After a couple of days, my gout doesn't hurt anymore.

Works for me.........

But the cherry juice is pretty expensive.............but cheaper than going to the doctor and getting drugs to take care of it.

Hauxfan!

16. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Simple blood test to look for elevated uric acid levels. Once it's confirmed, treatment is often two-fold. For the immediate, acute attack, anti-inflammatory medication like indomethecin and pain killer is often prescribed. For long term treatment, allopurinol is usually tried (it's old, out of patent, cheap and often effective). If that doesn't work, there are newer medication which reduce the uric acid levels.

I've had gout for about 20 years, but no more acute attacks because of the allopurinol. YMMV, of course, so you should see your physician. Good luck!

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Unfortunately I had tried tart cherry extract a few years ago and had the worse case of diahria in my life so that may be out . So far since noon I have had no reacurrance of the toe pain but tomorrow is another day . Cancel the bone spurs since I had been walking on it and that should have been a tell tail sign of a spur . I have been on Statins for 20 years and just changed 4 months ago to a generic that seems to work better than all the rest so it`s not bringing my cholesterol down too fast that may not be a reason . I don`t drink in excess or more than 2 beers at a time but a few shooters are needed from time to time . Just found out my brother had the same thing and the cherry juice and pills plus extra stuff got rid of his but he is a heavy drinker and hasn`t had a reaccurance in 3 years . He doesn`t go to the doctors much so no Meds were issued . Bloodwork was done but mainly for cholesterol 4 months ago. I want to thank all that are responding . Has anyone had severe pain while shooting because right now it only occured while my feet are laid out on the bed as I`m typing (I have a wireless keyboard) and once driving this morning . Never standing up ???

18. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Could be arthritis.

19. More Powder

More Powder TS Member

I drink cherry vodka no problem

20. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

From what you've described, I don't think you have gout. Gout pain does'nt come and go. When you have a full blown attack it's pretty much a constant thing. During a gout flare up, you will have inflamation and swelling in the effected joints. Your big toe and foot can swell to the point of not being able to put on a shoe. Attacks are usually worse at night and even putting a sheet over your foot can send you through the roof. Allopurinol is pretty much the standard for daily medicine to take care of uric acid build up and Cholochine and Indomethicin are used to take care of attacks once they start. You will need a good supply of screen doors if you take Cholochine, but it works and works fast. Indomethicin is my choice. See a Doctor and get it accurately diagnosed. If the joint pain isn't constant, it's not gout. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Good Health!! Jim