1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - got 2 new Front tires put on back?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

One of the trucks (F250) that the business owns needed a couple of new front tires. The rear tires are still decent plus I have 2 tires/wheels mudgrips/snow tires from another F250 that I planned on putting on the back come winter.

Well anyway I sent the guy whom drives the truck down to a tire shop with a debit card to purchase 2 new front tires. A couple hours later he pulls in the shop with new tires on the back. I asked "what's up, I thought we were getting tires for the front, we have wheels and tires for the back come winter?"

He replied - "don't ask".

The tire shop would not install the 2 tires on the front. According to them they say - some organzation like the Tire Institue of America (or something like that) says that if they sell only 2 tires they must go on the BACK because of possible hydroplaning??????????

WTF? They said we could change em from back to front but they couldn't/wouldn't put em on the front.

Well anyway we jacked the truck up and changed em, and just went ahead and put the snow tires on the back.

Just wondering if anybody else has heard of such a thing?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You seriously need to find a new tire shop.

3. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Yeah, there is a "rule" about putting new tires on the back to control over-steer.
    Theory is that most drivers can control front end sliding much better than they can control back-end sliding into over-steer. But sooner or later you have to ask what to do to control the front end.

The shop did replace the worn-out tires, right?

Charlie

4. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Bisi
    I had a similar experience,sent my wife in for 2 new front tires and they
    REFUSED to put them on the front.
    I,ve always figured that a blowout is easier to control on the rear than front.
    I had them let the the car down and had her go to another store.
    Not my first bad experience with AMERICAS TIRE .

Jim

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The problem is under heavy braking, especially when traction is low like on wet pavement.

Heavy braking causes a weight shift to the front wheels. This increases the down force on the tires, and reduces it on the rear wheels.

Worn tires have reduced braking compared to new tires.

So what happens is worn tires on the rear decrease traction even more, and the decreased treat depth can allow easier hydroplaning. While worn tires on the front are not immune to less traction and hydroplaning, this is offset a bit by the increased down force.

It is safer to put the better tires on the rear and the worn tires on the front.

So... Why are tire stores so anal about this?

You can thank lawsuits.

Likely an inexperienced driver screwed up and an experienced lawyer found something to blame and a tire dealer was left holding the bag.

6. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Yes, I got the same crap. It was not pretty when we got through.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

What would they do with a Corvette, for example, that has different sizes front and back? Refuse to tire the front?

8. oz

oz Active Member

I has a similar problem. My wife's outback has H rated tires. BJ's would not install T rated tires. I said we were not going to drive 120 MPH. he said "they handle differently" I didn't buy the tires from BJ's.

9. new loader

new loader Member

Same story here with local tire dealer. 2 new tires MUST go on back, even though I went for new tires on front. However, if I want to come back and pay to have the tires rotated, they would do that. World has gone mad.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

OZ,

H rated tires are performance tires, T rated tires are touring type tires and yes they do handle differenty. T's are a softer more flexible tire and H's are a somewhat more aggresive stick to the road type of tire. How much if at all that will affect the Outbacks ride & handling is unknown but if the car came with H rated tires then thats what I would replace them with.

OTOH H or performance tires are a softer rubber compound to help the tire stick to the road so they wear faster than touring tires.

Eric

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

US Government and lawyers .... Please stop taking away my freedoms! I remember driving my 65 442 around town with drag slicks on the rear. They sucked when it rained!! LOL .... I learned my lesson and never used them on the street again.

Tire shop should have a waiver for you to sign .... and when I purchase tires they come with FREE ROTATIONS. Find a better tire shop!!

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Isnt the Goverment suppose to pad the world so we all dont get hurt?? LMAO !!!
    Who knows best for its little chillin.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

What happen to the customer being right or getting his way? LMAO. That went away years ago. Government and lawyers will tell us what is right.

A few years ago I purchased a set of 4 new tires. Within a month I picked up a nail in one of em. I couldn't find anybody who would patch it. Went to 3 or 4 shops. The reason - even though the nail was in the tread, it was within 2" of the sidewall. Ended up patching it myself and the tire is still in use.

Had a crown come off of a tooth. The dentist who put it on retired, my new dentist won't put it back on. Wants to redo the whole thing. I asked him to just put it back and see if it will hold. He won't do it. In this case the customer can't get what he wants.

A lady friend built a new house. She had an antique table/stand that she wanted to use as her island in her kitchen. Inspector wanted her to cut a hole in table and install electrical receptacle. She didn't want to since it would destroy the value of the family heirloom. The inspector said - "I don't give a dam what you want, you will install it." Even though it was her house, she wasn't going to get it her way. (I know the receptacle is a good idea in an island, you don't want electric cords strecth across a walk way) But it IS/WAS her house. Why can't she have it her way.

Use to be the customer was always right, now we are all just dumb*****

14. 1903

1903 Member

I was getting new tires at Discount tire and they have a video playing there about getting only 2 tires. They will only put them on the back. Showed in the animated video how going around a corner in wet conditions the rear of the car can spin out. John............

15. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

1903, Yes! if you have gas in the tank and your foot on the floor, you CAN spin out. I learned that as a kid.

Now explain all the cars upside down on the freeway on a dry day and straight pavement-three lanes wide.

Mixer, you are correct on all points. Good advise.

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me when I tried to put a pair of new tires on the front of my wife's car.

Local dealer said I should run them on the rear for a while, then he would switch them to the front for me @ n/c.

I had the rears put on the front, and the new ones on the back, then switched about a month later, at n/c.

It must be a legal issue, but makes no sense to me since I was taught you needed better handling on front for steering.

Danny

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

When some idiot hits one of you head-on because he switched his tires, don't bitch, don't sue, he was exercising his "freedoms".

19. gotbass

gotbass Member

Had the same issue at Costco a while back. Damn silly and I think the store that tells you to come back in a month for nc is buying the same liability as if they had done it when purchased. As for Johnny - give me a break, since I don't picket liquor stores and bars am I not to bitch about drunk drivers? Which by the way I am a lot more apt to get run into by than the person who puts the new tires on the front.

20. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

The way to solve this problem is very easy. Buy 4 tires at time and avoid the hassle.I have never purchased two tires at a time.
    Fred-napawino

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.