1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Goose Hunting Medicine

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm going Canada Goose Hunting for the 1st time next week and wonder what ammo you goose hunters recommend. I'll be shooting out of a pit and have been told that the guide gets them in "pretty close" I'm shooting a Benelli SBE2. Plan on using 3 or 3.5 inch ammo. Thanks in advance...Randy

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

3 inch is enough. i use number 2 heavy shot. going to maryland monday and tuesday. mod choke

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Randy......You are about to embark upon one of life's greatest activities! You got the best gun already....use B or BB Steel in 3.5 inch! Have fun.....you WILL get hooked!

4. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for the info. I really appreciate it! Randy

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Tie the steel shoot to a boat for an anchor...use Hevi-Shot or the new Remington HD.

I shoot over decoys and use the 2-3/4" # 4's (1325 fps) which will kill a goose at 50 yds with a light modified choke.

Curt - Delaware

6. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

3.5" will do nothing but beat the living tar out of you. Go 3" or even 2 3/4" you will kill them just as dead and just as consistantly.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What Hipshot said. Steel is fine if their close (inside 35 yards) 3" or 3.5" steel BB, BBB, or T's. I prefer T's out of the IC choke. I patterned all the steel loads available at that time, and T's put the most weight and best pattern on the board at 40yards w/ an IC choke in a SBE. I even use it on ducks. Bismuth and tungsten matrix, use a full choke. Hevi shot use a Mod.

8. Questor

Questor TS Member

I'm totally sold on #4 hevi-shot. The stuff really lives up to all the hype. It's very expensive, but well worth it for goose hunting. See how it patterns first. You may get your best patterns with improved cylinder, but almost certainly not tighter than modified.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You probably know there is a big difference in the cost of premium ammo like Hevi-shot and Steel. I live in Canada and use 3 inch 1 1/4 oz Fasteel size BB @ 1450 ft/sec for geese at relatively close range. I would buy the good stuff like Hevi-Shot for a once in a lifetime opportunity if you are already spending money for the trip. It is a matter of dollars and cents and the good stuff has more range. The cheap low velocity steel loads are pretty close to useless but you can kill geese with high velocity steel if your range is not excessive.

10. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

I bought the High density high speed Federal shot, and miss em just as good as with steel.Only the steel is a buck and a quarter a round compared to $3.50 a miss. But seriously, like goose2 said 3" #2's in steel knock em dead up close.
    Joe B.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes.....I should have included the " Hevisteel" also, which I think is even better than "Hevishot". They are not the same!

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

3" Steel BB's and a Patternmaster choke.

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

#2 Hevishot,IM, End of story. Jeff

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you miss a goose with a shotgun...it's time for another type of endeavor...sheesh!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.