1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Good defragmentation software

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I presently have a trial version of Diskeeper defraqgmentation software that came with my computer. The trial is about to expire. I do not like Diskeeper and am looking for new software that will handle defragmentation. (Software that also toasts bread would be a plus but it is not really necessary.)

Nearly everyone knows more about software than I do. What suggestions do you have for decent, yet inexpensive defragmentation software?

Thank you for your help.

Rollin

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Two of my systems run Diskeeper 2007 and two run Raxco. I'm satisfied with both of them and frankly can't tell any difference in the result. The resident defragger on XP is a dumbed-down versionof Diskeeper, by the way.

Mike

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Back in the days of DOS 2.11 - 6, I really like Peter Norton, but that turned into Symantec. Central Point Software had some neat tools as well.

But Windows came along, and Diskeeper 2007 is very fast and does a good job. As mac V eluded to, MS licenses a simple (slow and basic version) in XP.

There really is nothing to not like, and with Diskeeper, you can schedule it to run in the background, and control the time. I try to keep the many evening updates and backups at seperate times so no one is fighting over bandwidth and processor power. That way annoying maintenance jobs are invisible to you as an end user during the day, and your machine is spiffy and ready to rock.

If you have the latest and greatest trial version of Diskeeper 2007 loaded, you can just buy the license and keycode and not have to unload and reload.

4. Rollin Oswald

Mike,

Yes, I know; it was the software that came with IE. on my Levono laptop. I find Diskeeper difficult to impossible to tell if defragmentation is needed. I was able to determine that once, but since then, I can neither determine if it is needed nor if the software is actually defragmenting or even when it has finished.

If Raxco is similiar to Diskeeper, I will keep looking. Is it possible that I am just too stupid to run defragmentation?

As an aside, do any of you have a keyboard with forward and back keys? My laptop has them and is the first time I have seen or used them. It is great to be able to press a button nestled with the arrow keys to move back to past screens rather than click on the back arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.

Rollin

5. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

6. Rollin Oswald

Slugger,

I will try that.

Jornski,

I will read the whole thing when I have more time. Is the software free or is there a charge? I looked for that answer but did not find it the short time I spent scanning the information.

Thank you all,

Rollin

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

It was my understanding that Microsoft adopted Symantec to write it's defragment programs. My question is why do you need anything else? Works for me! Robert

8. Rollin Oswald

Slugger,

I followed your directions and the Dos screen lasted for only a couple of munutes before the desktop appeared again. Is that all the time it requires?

Robert,

Damned if I know. I was not aware of the software Slugger suggested I use and Jack Swanson just emailed me saying that defragmentation is a once-every-six- months event, anyway.

Rollin

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Rollin asked:

<blockquote>"I find Diskeeper difficult to impossible to tell if defragmentation is needed. I was able to determine that once, but since then, I can neither determine if it is needed nor if the software is actually defragmenting or even when it has finished.

If Raxco is similiar to Diskeeper, I will keep looking."</blockquote>

I said that the results were similar. I've never really found any of the defragers difficult to use. but if you have, you might just want to stick with the XP resident. It does a simple analysis of the drive you're defraging and it's easy to tell when it's finished. Unless you do an awful lot of text document work, editing in particular, you're not going to notice a big improvement in file acquisition speed by defraging more often that a couple times a year anyway.

<blockquote>"As an aside, do any of you have a keyboard with forward and back keys? My laptop has them and is the first time I have seen or used them. It is great to be able to press a button nestled with the arrow keys to move back to past screens rather than click on the back arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the screen."</blockquote>

I use the wired Microsoft Internet Keyboad on a couple of my systems and it has 10 "hot keys" that provide forward and backward movement as well as direct access to mail, favorites, search, the home page, My Computer, a calculator and the sleep function. It's quite a handy keyboard.

Mike

10. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Rollin,

Click on "Start" then "All Programs" then "Accessories" then "System Tools" then "Disk Defragmenter".. there you are..

ol 12

11. Rollin Oswald

My software ignorance has diminished. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Rollin

12. Mac V

Mac V Guest

A quick path:

<blockquote>right-click "My Computer" >> "manage" >> disk defragmenter</blockquote>

Mike

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Good one, Big Al.........Loved it!

A little tit for tat? lol

Hauxfan!

14. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I agree with Cold Iron. Nothing wrong really with the built-in defragmenter, but it does nothing with page files (virtual memory). View the report after the analysis pass and check for page file fragmentation. If your page file is set at default (average of 150% of physical memory and variable size), it will eventually fragment and bog down the computer.

If you have another hard drive/partition, you can do this: set up a fixed size page file in another partition, and set to zero the page file on the OS drive. Reboot. Set up a fixed page file on the OS drive and reset to zero the one you created earlier on the separate partition. Reboot, now your page file is in one block and can never get fragmented. For the rest of your files, run PowerDefragmenterGUI with Contig on the OS drive. Contig does as the name implies, it places files in one contiguous block. (Google for them). But the built-in defragmenter is good enough.

For most purposes, if your physical memory is at 1 GB, it's a waste of hard drive space to set page file at 150%. I run 1 GB dual-channel RAM and have my page file fixed at 1 GB, and the commit charge has never gotten near to physical memory capacity. So I could no doubt lower the size. Be advised that no matter how much RAM you have, there will be page file activity. Setting it at or near zero will cause more trouble than it's worth, or so it's said in articles I've read.

Fragmentation can go from annoying to severe if a hard drive gets filled near capacity. 50% full is no problem.

15. Rollin Oswald

Much of what you wrote, the terms used, is over my head.

Al,

Sounds like a great book. Is it by the same author that wrote "Bestiality and Defragmentation for Fun and Profit"? If it is, I especially enjoyed the section about calves and how to deal with their tails.

Rollin

16. break25

break25 TS Member

How about this? Click on START, click on MY COMPUTER , Right Click on LOCAL DISK, Click on PROPERTIES, Click on DISK CLEAN UP ,then click on tab TOOLS, Click on DEFRAGMENT.

Takes a little longer, but gets rid of stuff you may not need?

CHAZZ

17. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"How about this? Click on START, click on MY COMPUTER , Right Click on LOCAL DISK, Click on PROPERTIES, Click on DISK CLEAN UP ,then click on tab TOOLS, Click on DEFRAGMENT."</blockquote>

There's actually a far better tool for cleaning the hard drive and registry than "Disk Cleanup" and it's far safer than the old "Registry Mechanic" or "WinDisk". It's known as C (for "crap) Cleaner

Mike

18. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

How about reading the article on defragmenting at the website linked to above. And if interested in optimising your page file, look for the relevant article on the left-hand side of the page. I've tried most of the programs mentioned, still have Raxco Perfect Disc. But honestly, freeware can be good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.