1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Gold Wing or BMW K1200LT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rrose, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

I am asking for your advice on motorcycles, I know there are many mc riders on here and appreciate your imput. I am looking to get either a 1997 Gold Wing with 23,000 miles on it or a BMW K1200LT that is a 2000 with about the same miles. They are both about the same money and both are loaded. I am wondering about the cost of upkeep. I am thinking that the Honda is going to be much less costly to keep going but have never had a BMW. I think I could do more upkeep myself on the Honda but I have never worked on a Bmer and would probably have to take it in for most things. I have been riding a Suziki C90 that I have loaded up with all the goodies but I would like to have something that is more of a highway touring bike than a cruiser and these 2 seem to be about the top of the pile for highway bikes. I have ruled out a Harley. Thanks for your imput.
    randy

2. oz

oz Active Member

I love and have had hondas. However I personnaly would buy the bmw. oz

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Check out the Beemer forums. They have had a lot of trouble with the drive shafts.
    The Honda is a proven bike.

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Randy , here is what you need HA HA , I bought this one last Aug. and then the next Sat. I found another for Pam , so now I have 2 just about alike . 1973 cb350 four

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Had both. Get the LT with rear end issues. If the rear end issue bothers you I have seen several on ebay for a few hundred. 4 bolts and on goes a new one. My wife hates both the 1500 and 1800 goldwing from a passengers view.

6. ABH

ABH Member

Randy,

I have a 2003 BMW K1200LT.They sit higher than the Gold Wings do.If you are shorter than 6' tall,the Honda will be more comfortable at parking lot speeds.The Beemer is more top heavy.If you spend a lot of time on the highway,I would go with the Honda.If you frequent the twisty mountain roads,nothing can touch the Beemer.You can't go wrong with either as far as dependability goes.Different tools for different jobs.

ART.

7. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

The Honda and BMW are both proven machines for touring duty, however I ride a BMW R1100RT and if they are the same money I would personally by the BMW strictly for the handling and reliability. The pricing and age difference suggest the BMW will hold it's value longer. The BMW is a lighter motorcycle than The Honda, will run at a slightly higher rpm, and will out handle the Honda hands down. When most people are looking at a touring bike and the topic of handling comes up, initially they think "I won't be carving canyons on this thing, does it really matter" the answer is absolutely yes. In an emergency situation, when you need to avoid animals, road debris, cars, etc. it could spell the difference between a close call or emergency room. My opinion...Larry Lockhart

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This is my 2 wheeled steed of choice. I bought it new back in the spring of '88.

Art has some very good advice and info. Take the mrs's along and find out which one she likes. If mama isn't happy, you're going to be miserable.

ss

9. rrose

rrose TS Member

Guys, thanks for the imput. No mrs but I want it to be passenger friendly, you never know when the right opportunity could come along.

Jeff a long time ago(ok 25 years ago) I worked in a Honda shop when the 350-4 was around. Those are great motorcycles and so unappreciated. Very very smooth and enough power to do what most people needed done. I hope you and Pam get to enjoy yours as often as possible.

Art the BMW has an additional seat that he says gets it down to about 28inches. I am only 5'7" tall so the height is a concern but 28 inches I think puts the BMW about the same as the Gold Wing. I am mostly wondering about routine maintenance costs for the BMW. The Bmer sure is one cool looking bike but the Honda is a sweet ride.
    Please keep the advice comming, thanks
    randy

10. emm2

emm2 Member

I am an auto mechanic and the owner of the shop has the BMW you mentioned. The BMW is a great bike and comfortable to ride but the maintenance is fairly complicated, doing the 20,000 mile srevice we had the bike pretty much tore apart. I have no experience working on the goldwing but I can't imagine it would be more complicated than the BMW. Valve adjustment is very important on the europeon bikes.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Make a list of normal maintenance items like: rear tire replacement, oil change, and new spark plugs. Call the two repair shop brands and get estimates.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If a bike with some touring amenities that can still be fun to ride solo appeals to you, look at a Yamaha FJR1300A sport-tourer (link above). The bags aren't ugly when on and the bike doesn't look like something's missing when you take them off, which is quick and easy. It has a cockpit-adjustable windscreen, available travel trunk, liquid cooling, shaft drive and little to no vibration yet pulls like a locomotive. Or you can take the bags off, put a tankbag on it and go hang with the guys on the back roads. The only negative I've ever read about them is a tendency for the earlier models to pass a lot of engine heat on to the rider, but the fairing was redesigned a few years ago to correct that.

I've never owned a BMW but did help out a new service manager at a Honda/BMW dealership for a short time a few years ago. Parts prices for BMWs are higher and their maintenance schedule is more rigorous than Honda's. At that shop, only two of the six technicians were BMW-certified, so the scheduling "days in advance" for BMW owners was significantly higher than Honda customers'. BMW does offer loaner bikes; I don't think Honda does.

I did own a Gold Wing Interstate at one time. It was a great bike for going for a Sunday ride on the superslab with my wife but was kind of boring in the twisties. Don't get me wrong - for a touring bike, it handled great but it was no sportbike. When my wife developed a back problem (that has since been surgically repaired) and could no longer ride, I missed the CB900F I had before, so I sold the GW.

We've both sat on an FJR in a dealer's showroom and she gave it her stamp of approval, so that will be our next bike.

Ed

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

There is no question in my mind. I would buy the Goldwing and not look back! Honda reliability is second to none!
    [​IMG]

14. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

If you decide to go with a 1800 goldwing remember. No heated grips,electric windshield,heated seats,rear speakers,cd player or rear luggage rack/stop light just to name a few things. The 1800 has also had a massive recall with broken frames and welding does NOT repair many of them safely. I will agree the 1800 is a little easier to work on and accessories easier to install due mainly to body work. The 1800 will fry you in the summer where the LT has superior heat deflection to the rider and by far a better aero package to rider /passenger. Honestly the 1800 sucks in stock form when compared to a stock LT. Plan on spending 3-4 K to just TRY to get the 1800 equal to the LT stock. Forget the 1500.....it simply is a dinosaur by modern bike standards. A yamaha venture royale was a far superior bike to it in most any way. Personally I would buy a 05 or newer LT. Better yet wait on the new 6 cylinder LT to come out.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I ride a GL1800 and have rented a LT1200 on vacation. I would not ride a 1200 if you gave it to me,,,,seriously, not a bad bike, just won't perform for me the way the 1800 will. Tires, gas and oil is all the Honda takes. Wife usually sleeps on the back seat, so comfort is in the "behind".

The frame issue was on the 2000 to 2003's. I never had a problem with my 2002. Another thing that stops me on the Beemer is that the dealers are a little too far apart for me and you can find a Honda dealer in about any town with 20K people in it.

Beemer does have some amenities that the wing doesn't. Check out www.gl1800riders.com. There are some wings for sale that you might be able to get at a better price.

** For those of you that don't think the "old man's bike can't handle", check out the link....BTW, that is not me....:D

16. smac61

smac61 TS Member

You have to be honest with yourself about maintenance. if you plan on doing it yourself, get the Beemer. If your going to take it in to a shop, the Honda will be much cheaper. If your going to ride it til the wheels fall off with a minimum of maintenance, maybe the Hondas a better choice.

Me, I'd get the Beemer in a heart beat. I own an R1100RS and do all of my own maintenance, minor or major.

My .02 FWIW

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this hunt. My bike is a Suzuki V-Strom and I'm happy with it. I would consider dealer availability in the BMW/Honda decision. There seems to be a Honda dealer in every town, big or small. BMW dealers are a little more spread out. Might be something to think about if service or parts are needed on a trip.

My friend has a K1200LT...he is 5'7" and he has trouble flat footing when he is stopped. I think the seat height on the Wing might be a bit lower.

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

AveragEd give sage advice, as usual. Check out the FJR's or the new Kawasaki Concourse. Great touring bikes, and if you want to rip up the twisties, you are set. I love my Strom, but my next bike is probably gonna be the Connie.

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Hear all the scraping on the video? Darn that was a rush, I have ridden the Dragon but not that fast.

20. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Rosebuster, AvEd is right on this. FJR1300. I owned a R1000s for 15 yrs, 75K on the odo. Sold it when the kids came along. Now own a Suzuki V strom that wife & I both pilot. Last year went shopping to get back to longer tours and tried most models. The FJ is just a smarter package. Easiest for wife to get on (drive), not a behemoth in size. Shaft drive & most important- Best Handling by far. How it steers and interfaces with the pilot is paramount to safety- Your life here. I never thought I would like this bike until I tried it. I'm 100% sold on the FJR. There is a subtle bodywork update dealing with heat/rider comfort. Bags come off in an instant and it transforms into day-bike. You owe it to yourself to at least try one. Regards, The TinMan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bmw k1200lt vs goldwing maintenance cost

k1200lt vs goldwing