1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT GM Wiper Problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

I got a 97 Silverado and from time to time the wipers wont work. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight if it might be a swith/relay/fuse/motor. I'm pretty mechanicly inclined and would rather fix it myself than take it to the dealer and pay through the nose. Thanks, Rich

2. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Get some rain-x and put it on. As long as you are going 45 mph or better you as least will be able to see .Could come in handy. Sorry I don't know a darn thing on how to fix it.

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

It is likely the wiper delay circuit board. The 90s GM trucks a notorious for them. It's a simple one plug three screw fix. They are availabel on eBay for about $12.00 or should be available at any local parts store for about $25.00. Very easy and inexpensive to fix.

Bob

4. B V

B V TS Member

Primed is correct. My 99 suburban had the same problem. The new board and a small amount of silicone caulk did the job.
    The board was 1/3 the cost at Advance auto parts compared to the Chevy Parts Dept.
    10 minute job standing at the left front fender. Very easy to get at on the front of the wiper motor.

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

These guys are correct but I sure wouldn't get a new board, just pull the black plastic cover off and unplug it, then pull the board out.

It is easy to see the cold solder issues these had/have. Get your soldering gun out and resolder where you see a crack or void where the soldering job failed, probably won't even need any more solder. It will last from now on after you fix it, just costs about 15 minutes in time.

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

And I meant to add, there was a recall on these circuit boards, if you so choose to take care of it that way, just go to a Chevy/GMC dealer and have them run your VIN number. If it is due the new circuit board they will hand you one but want yours back, or wait and they will replace it.

I would still prefer doing my own, just as I did, but I had a buddy in a shop save me one of those he took out that I could exchange with them, and mine still continues without issues, 300K miles after soldering it. Then you can sell the new one on Ebay ;^)

No one has ever touched my 96 but me, ever.

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

JayZap

Top of the driver's side firewall on the wiper motor. It's the first electrical component you see after removing the cover (3 screw). Unplug it, replace with a new or repaired unit using silicone caulk, plug in, screw the cover on and you're done. Five minutes if you do it yourself. Probably half hour in the flat rate book.

Bob

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem on my '98 GMC....replaced the motor first...the circuit board is next....

9. teleskier

teleskier Member

I have a 95 suburban with 160K on it but its like brand new still. I have no board issues but my drivers side wiper seems to skip across the window at times rather than a smooth swipe. I tried replacing the blades and swapping arms side to side with no avail. Any suggestions?

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You might tap the motor with a small hammer and see if that starts the motor working. That would indicate a flat spot in the motor if thats the case you need to buy a rebuilt motor.

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Check GM, I had a '95 and it was part of the recall for a wiper problem..
    dealer fixed it for free....
    Grubby

12. break25

break25 TS Member

What about the back window on a 96 SUV? Where would that be located?

13. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Hey Texas Ton, is that 420,000 miles on your '96? How is the body for rust? I am coming up on a quarter million miles on my '93, and never even had the valve covers off.

14. richrob

richrob TS Member

TS.com comes to the rescue again, thanks guys. -Rich

15. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

rodbuster

There is no rust, anywhere, but realize I live in the near desert of the Texas Panhandle where it is rare to see salt either. Now cow manure, it has had its share of that under it but washed underneath regularly.

The covers have never been off of this one either, had to loosen one to put an intake gasket on but that is all that has been done to the motor, except oil/filters/plugs/wires. Rear end has had lockbolts changed, and it wore the splines out on the pinion yoke. Trans has had a sprag/torrington bearing/and dogs. It went 400K miles with less than $400 in repairs, not including maintenance. Still runs like a raped ape and gets from 19.7-20.3 mpg running 72.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.