1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT GM truck brake rotors

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 that is ready for it's first brake rotor replacement. Usually not a big deal, I am a retired rural mail carrier and have done literally hundreds of my own brake jobs. These babies just will not come loose from the backing disc by any of the normal means. I hate to use too much heat because of the wheel bearings being so close. Auto parts place says it is a flaw with these and the metals just weld thmselves together over time. Anyone have any experience with these? Or any way to get them off besides cutting them into pieces? Thanks Bill

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might try working them with an air chisel/hammer.

Go after the rotor - try to break the rust bond with the impact rather than trying to get between the rotor and the bearing disk.

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

try getting as much life as possible from the rotor. Most people change them way to early.
    [​IMG]
    seriously try spraying with rust penetrant for a few days. If you have an air compressor and air hammer try working off from the backside of the pad surface. Birdtracker

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

slayer, just curious. How many miles on your Sierra?

I have a 2004 Sierra 4x4 with 85000 miles and the original front brakes. I replaced the rear pads at 50,000 because they had worn unevenly. The rear calipers on these trucks have a habit of not centering and wearing out just one pad of the set.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

pb blaster for a day or 2. then some vibration like a brass hammer. if all else fails heat the center if the rotor near the flange with a torch but in only one spot and then wack it with a hammer thne some more pb blaster. They are tough to get off. motordoc

6. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Get some Kroil Oil and spray around the flange and let it soak in for an hour or so and then should have no problem with the aid of a large lhammer!!

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Jim you will have the same situation when you change the front rotors. My cousin has an '04 and it gave him fits. He's the one that came up with the bonding story. He worked on one side for about 8 hours. No puller would work and he ended up cutting it all up. Being a millwright, he sort of knows what he's doing, too. Bill

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

CRC makes a hell of a good penetrating oil called Knock'er Loose, might try that

I got a sample and was going to change the pitch of the gangs on an off set disc, it had a 1 1/8 bolt that I had to take out that had been in there for about 30 yrs rusty as hell, I had a 24 inch pipe wrench with a 5 ft cheater, and it wouldn't budge, I sprayed it with Knock'er loose, let it set for a few minutes then sprayed again, and it came loose with just the pipe wrench

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My techs got them loose by using an air hammer against the "hat" area between the lug studs. It breaks the corrosion bond and they come right off.

Ed

10. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

NAPA makes a nice replacement which IMO is much better than GM.
    Bob with 02 Silverado with 107K miles and all NAPA rotors.

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I forgot. here is another idea. Take a propane torch and "warm" the center area and then take a candle or a crayon and melt it in. I just might loosen the rotor enough to get it moving. Think it is a joke. Try it on a stuck bolt ot a pipe fitting that you really annnot heat up. works like magic.. motordoc

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Another vote for Kroil. Use a dead blow hammer.

HM

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just another of many reasons I dont buy GM

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have done several Sierra brake jobs. Pretty much all my friends have them.

I used a 4lb hammer and that got most of them off. I have also used the air chisel with a blunt tip in between serious 4lb beatings.

Then sometimes the out side ring of the rotor breaks of leaving just the metal on that is stuck to the hub.

Out comes the torches and two seconds later it pops off and you're left wondering why the hell you just didn't torch it in the first place.

Put a little grease on the new ones.

15. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

BIG SLEDGE HAMMER I used on my 2007 Classic HD 2500.

Change calipers with rotors and pad's.

3 MPG Increase after front brake job. Dealer said 10 mpg was normal.

I also use COPPER based anti-seize when reassembling.

Good Luck,

Tom

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with a 2005 Dodge. It's not just GM.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Cuban fyi this has been a bulletproof vehicle up to now. I wouldn't trade it for anything especially one of your little Subarus. Keep the $$$ in the U.S.A.!! Bill

18. oz

oz Active Member

look on the door jamb and see where your sierra was made. probbly mexico. Don't worry though your next one will probably be made in china.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Would super cooling one area, say the middle, with an CO2 fire extinguisher help get things moving around to break an internal bond? Used to do that years ago on MC small end conrod..old trick for Bultaco motor, but then, this is much more modern stuff...

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A Mapp Gas torch is very hot. If you want to heat the outside fast and beat on it I think the inside would still be cool enough. You could also spray the inside like Chango sez.

I just got a Mapp gas torch and was amazed at how much faster it heats things up. Screwed up a coule items too, LOL.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.