Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OT: Glock or Sig/Sauer

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Shooting Coach 
#1 ·
Looking at purchasing an all around handgun (possibly CCW, home protection, etc...). Was looking at either the Glock 17(9mm) or 23 (40S&W)or the Sig/Sauer P226(9mm) or P220(.45ACP). I know that I'm probably not comparing "apples to apples" but what would you guys get and why?

#4 ·
The S&W M&P beats them both hands down. It more than an improved Glock.
Uses the same take-down as a Sig. It also has three interchangeable back-
straps to fit the gun to your hand. It is also the only gun of the three
to offer a life-time warranty. The warranty also pays the next-day air
charges both ways.

#5 ·
If you pocket carry, DO NOT get the Glock. The safety is on the trigger, which has been described as "writing the combination to the safe on the vault door". Glocks need to be carried in a holster properly designed for the Glock, meaning the trigger is fully covered.<br>
<br>
As for the SIG/Sauer P-226 and P-220, I owned the former and still own the latter. Both are totally reliable and accurate. My P-220 is well worn, and has had well over a couple of decades of hard use. I sold the P-226 simply because I wanted a smaller, more compact 9mm. Should have kept it.

#8 ·
Springfield XD 9mm, lifetime warranty 16+1 with the extended magazine or 10+1 with the conceal magazine. It comes with both. XD Gear...
I have fed everything there is out there in it without a hiccup.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=9mmXDpistol.gif" target="_blank">
</a>

Here's mine.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=HPIM1606Large.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

My XDm 9mm... lifetime warranty, 19+1, 2 magazines and interchangeable back-straps as well. Match grade barrel. XD gear.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=311535a7.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Love them both.... Jerbear

#9 ·
The Smith has a reputation for the magazines failing. They have corrected new ones, but old ones would lose floor plate and contents when put under stress.

The original Glock is hard to beat. I prefer the G-19 or G-23 mid size for CCW and general use.

If you are going to stick your carry gun in a pocket, get a Smith & Wesson "J" frame revolver.

I have three requirements with holsters.

1. Can I access my firearm when belted in my car?

2. Can I access my firearm if flat on my back?

3. Can I access my firearm support hand only?

It is your decision to make.

#11 ·
Coach, how do you feel about seat holsters? I have many that I can adapt for just the task. The XD gear comes with a tension resistant holster and can install it between the seat and center console of my truck. I don't feel comfortable with it just sitting on the seat or under the top part of the console. The truck is a 2008 Ram with the desktop console. One XD holster can be fit in between the seat and console out of site. I have not fastened it down yet but the idea seems to fit the bill. I'm not fond of the seat holster that is on the left side of the seat next to the door, I don't want anyone to see it as I exit the vehicle. One thing you brought up was the support hand, Now that it's colder, I carry in a Blackhawk serpa level 2 holster. I like the security of the locking lever, but you brought up the support hand. I have not tried to release the gun with my support hand, not sure I can. I may have to rethink a new holster again , a friend of mine wears a Crossbreed Supertuck.(see above) I have worn it and it's very comfortable, I think the seat idea may be more to my liking while seated in the truck.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.... Jerbear

#12 ·
When I take a long trip, I put the firearm in a rig that is under the center console between the seats.

When I take a break or fill up, I slip it in my IWB rig, under shirt or jacket.

I normally carry in a belly band. Trained professionals cannot detect it, and it meets my criteria for carry.

#16 ·
I own a 26 and a 19. I also carry a Sig 229R in 40 cal. Both are nice guns. The glocks in 9mm are work horses that will shoot and shoot. I owned a 23 and was not a fan of it.

I really enjoy the sig with houge grip panels. For the past 8 years I carried an HK Compact USP in 40 and loved it. That is a work horse that was retired with 9300+ rounds with ZERO stoppages or malfunctions with factory ammo with the exception of a few frangible rounds .. . Awesome gun. . .

But I really like metal frames and rubber grips. . . You can't go wrong with either so it is going to come down to what feels good in your hands. . .

#18 ·
Big Dog,

You make a strong argument.

Lucky Man

Politics!

Rick

Even though I am relatively strong, and a one time Submachinegun Instructor, the G-18, unless equipped with a shoulder stock, is basically uncontrollable in full auto mode. It is hard to manage three shot bursts, and is too rapid to be useful.

The MP-5 is best for full auto WORK, while the Thompson is #1 for FUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.