1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT German Shorthair Pointers?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FarmerD, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have always been a lab man, but my nephew raises GSP and talked me into

taking one. I didn't want to replace my lab, with a lab until he passes on.

She is two years old and a real sweetheart, but she won't retrieve birds.

She will retrieve anything else but birds. She points wonderfully and has

run down a killed several crippled roosters. As soon as they are dead she

loses interest and is ready to find another bird. What can I do to teach her

to retrieve birds? Thanks Ben

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Take her to a pro and get her force-fetched. Do not do it yourself to hard on you and the dog. Bill

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Bill said! I had one, but it didn't show many hunting qualities.......can't really blame the dog though.....hadn't been trained properly!

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If the dog hasn't learned the fun part of fetching, forced training is the next step.

Most of my past bird dogs were taught as puppies that fetching was fun and did it with glee! That carried over to bringing the downed birds to me later on. Hap

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mr. Ducks gave the basics but there actually different ways to do force fetching-- one of the most common is the toe pinch with a cord on a table

ear pinch is the one he talked about

they all usually start on a table and are a conditioned response to a slight pain stimulus -

they all must then transition to the ground-- electric collar is perfect for that if you are skilled in its training use

"Hey pup fetch it up" by Bill Tarrant describes the method as do many video tapes- do a google search

you can do it yourself-

If you pay a pro to do it - you have to still know how to reinforce it--

about 4-6 weeks for this force fetching and another 4-8 for force to water

some dogs will not take to this well- some are pussy cats

some are nearly impossible and pros even fail but those are few and far between

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Have somebody else do it. It is well worth the money. Force fetching isn't for the mild hearted. I know that I couldn't do it. Jeff

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Just google forced fetch retriever and read for about an hour. You will know all you need. Unless you are a decent trainer, let a good pro help you with this. No sweat. Jake

8. wareaglehunt

wareaglehunt TS Member

I force fetch all my labs but like said above u need to know what u are doing. Force fetch is more then just teaching a dog to fetch on command. It teaches a dog how to handle pressure knowing his is in controll if he obeys the pressure comes off .Makes e- collar cond alot easyier. Also force fetch is the start of blind retrieves.After the dog is fetching back in forth on the table from hand with wooden dumb bell ,then u move to ground and this is were the dog will get confused.Up to this point everything was fetched from your hand . So to start the tranisition I lay the wooden dumb bell on my foot.After this is going well you go into what is called walking fetch.At this point I start useing bumpers and walk down the line and say fetch as you say fetch use a crop and hit the dog in but as to say hurry up.Any refuseals should be delt with ear pinch.Once walking fetch is going good I switch to ducks run this the same way as done with bumpers, but this time I also start to use -e-collar now I will say fetch this time I will use crop first time and hit nick button on e-collar the same time saying fetch.Once you can run walking fetch with ducks and collar nick every other time you have a well force fetched dog.I touched on some of force fetch but there is so much more to it. After this I do my e-collar cond for sit and here on whisle and verbal also heal. Then comes force to the pile now you will use the command fetch the first few times then it is fetch back until you are useing just back.Any refuseals delt with a ear pitch to the pile.After this you get into T pattern now I start to back nick about every 4th time the down drives to back pile. There is so much training that goes into a finished hunting dog that can run blinds, multiple marks, mark off a gun barrel, honor fellow dogs. I only touched on little bit.After t-pattern you got ,double t pattern, swim by, pattern blinds, school blinds, deversion blinds, channels blinds, marking drills, Alot to it.But I love it and it is so worth it having a dog that can make people just go wow. And I start all my dogs retrieving birds when there are very young tease them with it yup yup yup and throw it must pups will go crazy for that bird if they are from good hunting lines.Just never let a pup tear a bird up if they are a little rough with the bird when they are young will take it away and wait a little bit. If you are going to force fetch get some pro help. I train hunting retrievers in Maryland part time right now,mostly to people that get one of my puppies. Hope to be full time in the future once get bigger property with lots of kennel space.Good Luck Tony Andrewleski

9. wareaglehunt

wareaglehunt TS Member

MR Ducks Im in Pasadena. That sounds good I need more farms to train on and more people to train with lost couple training partners. Send me a email with your # and I will give you a call. My 4 year old female is finished but always need places to strech her out and do real long blinds and tune up drills. With my one year old female Im am doing t pattern with her now next I will need small pond to do swim by always hard to find the right pond for this drill.The couple I had I just lost.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

wareagle hunt- those look like well controlled dogs--

a dog under control is something 99 percent of hunters have never seen

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I'd get the dog to a trainer and do the forced fetch, then get a German wire hair or a Draht Haar which are utility dogs. Will point birds, retrieve like a lab, and very biddable. You can never have enough dogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.