1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT GEICO OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by STOS, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STOS

STOS Member

Geico is like the AARP one big rip off.How else do you think they can pay for all those pain in the ass ads.

2. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wait till you have an accident and you find that you have to use used parts or reconditioned parts "not new" when you get the damage fixed. Bet they didn't tell you that one..

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Suggestion, only if you think this was a bait and switch.
    Check the GEICO policy and see what the cancellation option is. Also, get written evidence from them of what this 'extra risk' is that showed up. If it's legitimate that they weren't told important info, you may have to accept the premium. Your call.
    Check with the other company/agent and see if they will honor their original quote. Get it in writing.
    If you are satisfied and can cancel the GEICO policy and get a pro-rated refund, I'd consider it, if you can be reasonably sure the second company would have no reason to do something similar.
    Then, I'd send off all the documentation to the Florida State Insurance Commissioner and let them know about it.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I've had GEICO for 30 some years and am completely satisfied. A month ago a lady backed into my 2010 Ram 3500... It was fixed the next week using new parts, with a lifetime guarantee on the repair. I paid a $500.00 deductible to get the ball rolling, and GEICO was able to get that from the ladies insurance and reimbursed me before I even picked up the truck after the repair. I think they are top notch. GaryL.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I don't think GEICO is the only company that would use reconditioned parts. State farm does the same thing. As far as the 2010 Ram there probably isn't very many used/aftermarket parts available yet.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No one can be 100% sure how good or bad there auto insurance is untill you use it . With all the Mexicans with no insurance you need all you can buy .

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

geico = Let the buyer beware.

Try holding an un-named individual on the other end of the phone responsible for what they said or didn't say.

GEICO - stood originally for Governemnt Empolyees Ins. Co.

Ask your agent what a CLUE report is and how the info affects your rates. OH you don't have an agent do you. So if you have an error, there lots of them, how do you get it fixed and who helps you?? Ask the lizard he's your agent.

Don

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Gotta keep that damned lizard well fed.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Most insurance companies require used or aftermarket on everything except current year vehicles. Geico is no different in that respect. However Geico and others care less about you and will do a lot of other cost cutting steps such as partial paint, betterment and more. Check with a company who cares a great deal about their policy holders USAA. There is none better and the rates are excellent. Take it from one who dealt with all the insurance companies for a living for 40 years. There are a couple companies that will sell you a "premium Policy" I think American Family calls it Gold Star. These policies allow for strictly new parts.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In addition to all of the above - GEICO IS ANTI-GUN!

Ed

11. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

GEICO is crap insurance & Progressive isn't much better in my opinion.
    In slugbugs case the other drivers insurance was at fault so therefor his
    insurance (Geico) would not be hard to deal with in that case.
    I take care of a fleet of 50 city police units & deal with other insurance co.
    regularly. I cringe when I see Geico or Progressive listed. They try to weasel
    & nickel/dime you to death. JMO Colonel

12. kolarshooter1981

kolarshooter1981 TS Member

Here is what ive found, but just my opinion. Look for an independent agent that represents multiple companies. That way you have options at renewals and someone to back you up in time of loss. Id stay away from captured companies, seems like thier rates are always higher. But if you go with the general or geico or alot of these internet and phone only type companies dont complain when you dont get service at time of loss.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

RE used parts; the insurance companies owe you putting the vehicle back to the condition it was before the accident. If you are driving a 5 year old vehicle, they owe you, if in any way possible, parts just like your damaged, 5 year old parts. If they were to replace damaged parts with new ones, they would be upgrading your vehicle (known as "betterment") and in the gobs of small print, it's clear they do not owe you that. Seems weird when you have it happen to you but makes sense when you recall someone bashed your 5 year old tail light and the insurer wants to replace it with a 5 year old tail light.....breakemall......Bob Dodd

14. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

BigDon knows the truth, you don't have an agent or anyone on your side. Very few Geico offices in the world. 1-800-talk to an idiot.

15. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

I have been with GEICO since 1967 and they have been fine with their rates and their service (the little bit I've used it.)

John

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When my son checked out the gecko, their rate would have been roughly 3X what his current insurance was. Their ads suck too.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They are both anti gun and Progressive is owned by a man the ilk of George Soros. A New World Order kinda guy. It's time to drain the lizard.

18. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

One option would be (should be) to dump the high risk driver from the policy. She would then be an "excluded driver" and not covered while driving your vehicles. To insure a high risk driver on your policy is very risky to you. Once she is insured elsewhere, this will help the rate quite a bit. As far as connecting with the right person in GEICO, you need to demand to speak with an Underwriting Supervisor and find just what issue effected your rate. It is highly unlikely that this is a bait and switch.

As to your high risk driver problem, there might be an association in ISO (Insurance Services Organization) that identifies a person being involved in a loss. This is the database that stores all information for/by the NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureua). This data is not supposed to be used for underwiting purposes, but if the high risk driver is currently involed in a loss associated with a GEICO claim involved claim, most of that person's loss history is there. If that info shows data not disclosed by you, it would effect your rate. Likewise with other data searches commonly used, such as motor vehicle department searches and State judiciary searches and credit searches through LexisNexis (which provides a lot more data than simply credit info). All of these searches are part of a verification process conducted "after" you buy a policy. When undisclosed data is found, it will normally effect the rate.

You will find that auto policy prices are all over the map. Generally speaking, auto insurance is not a money maker for an insurance company unless it is offset by the same company also selling you homeowner and life insurance policies.

I'll bet that once you get to the right person in GEICO, you will find that they learned of undisclosed problems with your high risk driver that you may not have known about.

BTW, GEICO is not owned by Warren Buffet. It is a publically traded company.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Allstate did the same thing to me many years ago. They gave me a price at a Sears store. I gave them a check. Then two weeks later an agent came to my door to upgrade me. Claimed the underwriters made a mistake the first time around. I tossed him out of my house and purchased 20th Century.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It's ironic that Warren Buffett was mentioned this morning. I was just paging through the August issue of PC World magazine and found a GEICO ad on page 85 that reads as follows:

"A proud history of savings and reliability, backed by the strength of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc." And, "Nearly 15 years ago, GEICO became a proud part of Warren Buffett's famed holding company."

It would appear that Mr. Buffett is heavily involved with GEICO. But as long as you don't give GEICO or Mr. Buffett any of your money, who cares?

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.