1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Gasahol notification?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gun1357, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

OT: Gasohol notification?

I have passed through many states in the past month and it occurs to me that nobody is admitting they are putting alcohol in their gasoline. I could swear I could smell it at times but never could find a sign on a pump. Ron Renouf

2. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Almost all gasoline contains 5-10% ethanol. It's an EPA mandate that gasoline contain an oxygenate like ethanol, and ethanol is cheap and clean.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"I have passed through many states in the past month and it occurs to me that nobody is admitting they are putting alcohol in their gasoline."</I>

There is a tag on every Mobil pump I've used this month that states quite clearly that their fuel is 15% alcohol.

Morgan

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

There is also a notice on the pumps at every 76 station that I pump gas at of their ethanol mixture/use. I live in NorCal.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

OT: Gasohol notification?

All gas that is mixed with ethanol in Iowa is marked as Capt. Morgan stated in his area.

Iowa is either the largest or one of the largest producers of ethanol for gasoline.

Bill

6. skip

skip Member

South Shore Massachusetts all the pumps state 10% Alcohol content.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Most all motor fuels have some ethanol, but are not required to state it unless the ethanol content goes over something like 10-15% (probably varies by state). For several decades ethanol has been used as a cheap (albeit not the best) octane booster. The big name brands charge more and deliver more gas with nifty chemical additives. The local marketers just blend in more ethanol. If you experience engine run problems, the dealer is likely to advise you to use a better grade of fuel, i.e., the major brands. Works for me.

Ethanol does burn cleanly, but contrary to all the warm and fuzzy talk you get from the politicians and corn lobby, it is an environmental nightmare in its present form. The carbon dioxide emissions from the manufacturing process are staggeringly enormous and will require CO2 capture, liquification, and injection (disposal) in deep reservoirs. Depending on the efficiency of the generation process, a single gallon of ethanol can require anywhere from 4 to 10 gallons of water; that may not seem like a lot unless it's your water supply that is being used to crank out 100,000+ gallons of product a day. The other problem that is quickly becoming apparent is that the criteria and regulation of siting is essentially non-existant at this point. Everyone is aflutter about jobs and farm subsidies and the like and no one is worrying about where they will be getting their drinking water is a few years. Ethanol from cellulose might be a different animal, but we'll have to wait and see.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

NY has notices on their pumps.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I get 10% to 20% less mileage on my vehicles using the current gasohol mixtures. I fail the see the savings with adding ethanol to the gasoline supply. If they add 10% ethanol, charge 10% more (which they do) and we get 10% to 20% less mileage it appears that it would result in greater cost. less efficient use of gasoline and more pollution rather than less. I don't think ethanol is the answer given reduced efficiency and energy required to produce ethanol. Very few pumps in my area have any notation that the gasoline contains ethanol.

10. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Would we be in error by assuming the decrease in mileage is equivalent to an increase in taxes? We have to buy more gallons to go the same distance. We are taxed per gallon. Ron

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

None on pumps in S. E. Florida.

Eric

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

ou.3200..........Here at home the price of gasohol is .05 to .06 cheaper than reg gas.

The main purpose behind ethanol based fuel is the renewable energy concept as is wind turbines and the like.

Bill

13. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

wm rike-- You're only scratching the surface of the problems and shortcommings to making ethanol from corn but you're on the right path.

14. TC

TC TS Member

Ethanol based fuel!! What a rip-off!!

Takes more energy to produce than it yields.

Uses huge amounts of water to produce.

Sells for 10 cents more per gallon, and results in 20% less mileage.

P.T. Barnum was right!!

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

ou.3200, You are right. I also get less mpg using ethanol (Gas & alcohol).

Plus, as a couple of the posters said, it cost less, but.......our own government subsidizes it so they can then sell it to us cheaper. Which makes no sense. If not subsidized, then it would cost more per gallon.

Why not subsidize gas and forget the ethanol subsidy's?

Oh wait, we want to make sure the farmer, who is also being subsidized gets more money for his crops..........and then we can also pay more for our foods because it costs more to produce them.

Then we have to raise taxes to pay for these subsidy's and oh hell, it's just an endless cycle.

No wonder people grow old and die,

I'm beginning to think they just wear themselves out trying to keep up with a government who doesn't give a crap about the poor working stiff.

Hauxfan!

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The ethanol ripoff is the same hype they used to promote Aspartame in soft drinks(Nutrasweet).

Saccharin was used for years, but the big boys couldn't have that, since it was easty to make and they could not get a lock on it.

So they drowned a few rats in Saccharin for a year or 2 and when one got cancer they had the ammunition for their scare campaign. Never mind that it had been used for years by diabetics and dieters, now it was BAD!!!

Enter Nutrasweet, supposedly the safe alternative. (plus the added benefit that it took a monstrous chemichal plant to make it, thus stifling any competition). the campaign worked, now all your diet sodas have Aspartame instead of saccharine.

And Nutrasweet is a sleeping monster. There have been many problems associated with it, both physical and mental, and it wasn't such a good deal after all.

That down't matter, now the big boys are getting the whole pie instead of a share.

HM

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

we are raising the price of corn though. Isn't that a good thing?

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Only if you are growing corn... Ron

19. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Ethanol is good for the corn farmer, good for the ethanol plant owners, and especially good for ADM.

It uses too much water, and growing all that corn uses too much diesel and fertilizer. It takes land away from soybeans and wheat and drives those prices up too.

High corn prices raise the cost of beef and chicken and milk.

Ethanol and ethanol mixes deliver lower mileage.

Ethanol costs too much to produce. We taxpayers are subsidizing it at $.50/gallon.

The next time a politician tells you that ethanol is the cure for our oil problem, slap him up side his head.

20. Bubba

Bubba Member

In my part of OH no labels on pumps. Ask a clerk at the gas station and you get a blank stare. They have no clue. I get about 1.5 to 2. MPG better on 100% gas vs ethanol. Ask the gas tanker guys that do the hauling if any 100% gas around your area. They know. I have found that Speedway is the worst gas to buy in my area. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.