1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT.Gas Stations my how they have changed.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve A., Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Ah, some nice memories from about 1963 thru high school and college. Remember all of the above very well. Still enjoy seeing something showing "Sinclair" or "Dino Supreme", although it has been quite a while. Seems like I can remember regular at about 29.9 cents and ethyl at 32.9 cents. Washed many a car at 2.00 and 50 cents more with whitewalls -- I got half and the station kept half. Our old coke cooler was the slide type and they were 10 cents - kept a few candy bars in there to keep cool. "Raymond Roy's" clothing store had the old cylinder Coke machine at 5 cents at that same time. Dang, that has been a while since then and age 60..................

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Ran across two of those ice scrapers my father had. You could hide them in the palm of your hand. Lots of two piece windshields then

Lots of those old stations in my area years ago. My father used to buy Naptha by the gallon.

Lots of fun in pops old 40 Chev. Master.

Regards Gerald

3. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

The "Center Garage" had gas, service (on cars trucks and tractors) and a small convenience store (though back then it was "gas and grocery"). Stop in to get gas, walk in and have a beer (3.2) while you waited, and grab some pickled herring from the wooden barrel for snacks. Oh and rarely would you be in anybodys way while you partook of the goodies. Nobody was in a rush back then. I'm 52. Miss it alot.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Worked at a Mobil Gas Station in the late 70s to pay for college. All the straight time I wanted, no overtime. Boss paid me a small commission on every quart of oil, air cleaner, antifreeze, oil change I could sell on the island.

No pre-pay and even mini-serve was full service when I was on duty - "fill 'er up" and "pop the hood" was the line... still offering real service!

Gas was probably $0.75/gallon... and I'm a youngster at 48!

Jay Spitz

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

And they had three restrooms, at least the ones in the south did.

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

During WWII I ran a Shell station after school, sold ice and had all the free Coke I could drink. I was paid 25 cents an hour, received in cash, every Saturday.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My father owned a Standard Station, gas was 12.9 cents a gal and we had a local gas war about twice a month so dad would drop it 5 cents to compete. We checked tires, washed all windows, wiped the headlamps, checked oil, tranny, w/s/ washer fluid, brake fluid and pumped it to boot. It cost about $2.00 to fill up. I washed cars, my dad charged $1.00 and the guy who owned the pepsi bottling plant tipped me $5.00. I was paid $1.00 a week and all the gas I could use. My old 1953 Buick Super would burn quite a bit.

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

What memories! And people were civil to each other. What happened?

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought a DX gas station exactly 40 years ago when I was 20 years old. I washed cars for $2 which include soaking the bugs off the front, scrubbing the white sidewall tires and floor mats,vaccuming the inside wiping down the interior with a damp cloth and washing windows with windex inside and out. Took 1 hour non stop. Tire repair was .75 and $1 whether or not you had to take it off the car. Tune ups were $3 plus parts. I made good money belive it or not, but it was 7 days a week back then. Tripod

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Good post! Brings tears to me bllody eyes! I remember when gas was cheap and not many folks had cars! The guy at the station came out[smoking of course] and filled her up with ethel[whoever she was] and cleaned the windshield.Even checked the oiland air if you asked. Life was slow ans simple. Miss it!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I never though I would buy food in a gas station 45 years ago. The one I worked in after school had greese 1/2" thick everywhere, and the station smelled like 10,000 Pall Mall's had been smoked in it. The restrooms: no woman in her right mind would use one. Of course, gas was 19 cents a gallon and during price wars it would drop to 13 cents. Central California, Highway 99.

12. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

A little back round info will be good here.About 10 maybe 15 years ago someone in our congress "tacked" on a peice of legistation to a pork belly spending bill and no one paid any attention to it till it hit us square in the face!! What the bill said was that all gas storage tanks had to be checked for leakage but had to be replaced every 10 years.This was the death knelt for all the ma & pa
    gas stations.The rich boys in the oil business knew that the small guy just squeaking by could not afford to shell out 10 or 20 grand for new tanks every 10 years or so they had to close.Big money wins again.I live in Chicago and work outside all over the city there are no small independents left.

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

I don't remember gas ever being cheap. I do remember it being .25 per gallon, but that sure didn't seem cheap at the time. Of course, the dollar back then was worth about 20 of todays depreciated dollars, or even less.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This ought to bring back memories. Info from the link about a gas station in Bend, Oregon:

The Stop and Go Shell gas station is a filling-up experience like no other. Many people give little thought to the gas station they pull into, because most stations are pretty similar. Not Kent Couch’s Stop and Go on U.S. Highway 20 and Northeast 27th Street in Bend, Oregon. When you pull your vehicle up to the pump, an extremely friendly looking person in an old fashioned, white gas attendant’s uniform (hat included) comes running up to your window. All of the attendants are very polite when taking your fueling preferences; they always ask if you would like your tank topped off. While you wait for your tank to be filled, they clean your windshield and actually get every speck of debris off.

Once inside, customers have a plethora of options. Kent Couch's Stop and Go has the normal gas station fare but what makes it special is their in-house sub store, Sargo’s. Everything a sub enthusiast could dream of. If your mouth is watering for something sweet, creamy and cold, the Stop and Go has its very own ice-cream with candy and goodies, created in front of your eyes on a cold stone.

A beloved feature of the Stop and Go is its gorgeous landscaping. On the very corner of U.S. Highway 20 and Northeast 27th Kent has created a natural sign, spelling Shell in a skillfully pruned hedge. The hedge is adorned by brightly colored flowers and other attractive landscaping features.

Gas stations are a dime a dozen but if you are looking for a business that you can feel good about supporting, come by Kent Couch’s Stop and Go Shell Gas Station, located on U.S. Highway 20 and Northeast 27th in Bend, Oregon. Get your vehicle filled up and grab a Sargo’s sub and ice-cream for the road.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And books on gas stations, at the link.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good one Admiralart too funny but sadly true

17. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ah Yes 30 cent 100 octane gas and high compression big blocks with long duration cams. Those were the days.

Jim

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bocephas..........Thats what Henry's girl friend said...."Oh Henry,Oh Henry!"

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Its nice to know that PRINCE worked in a livery stable......that explains it!

20. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

I remember in the early 70s getting a bunch of glasses with a fill up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.