1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT..Gas price Wars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ButchB, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Remember the days when there were gas price wars? Where oil companies (gas stations)would try to be the lowest price to attract more business. The goal was to sell more gallons of fuel than the other guy, so lower the price and reap the rewards.
    Maybe what we need now is to do a reverse incentive program. What would happen if we decided not to buy gas from one particular oil company? Say boycott BP or One of the other big oil companies and buy only from their competitors. If they can't sell the oil they have, would that create a market that has to get competive to stay in business?
    I know it isn't just Big Oil that is the cause of the price of fuel, but they are making record profits at our expense.
    Why is it when one station goes up 10 cents a gallon they all go up 10 cents?
    Sounds like manipulation to me, and bordering on a monopoly type of price fixing.
    Any thoughts?

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Price fixing without a doubt. Some states (MN is 1) have a law against selling gas for less than a certain amount above your cost. The dealers assoc. lists a suggested price every hour. No matter how you cut it U R screwed.

3. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Gas here today 3.459 Diesel 3.759. How long can we stand by and be fleeced? It's a license to steal and it's not going to go away if we just stand by and say "oh well".

4. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

They're using the turmoil in Egypt and Iran as an excuse to set themselves up for even more record profits, no big surprise heh? Even in spite of the fact that the Saudi's have stated that they will increase production in the event that there actually IS an oil shortage. The oil companies are nothing more than a bunch of consumer-raping thugs. The politicians won't step in for fear of losing those big election campaign contributions. Yep, we are screwed - continuously. Boycott's won't work because few will participate and they're in bed with each other anyways. They would simply funnel money to any oil company that was boycotted. No impact, self preservation for the industry.

5. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Alaskans are for higher oil prices that way the Permanant Fund gets BIGGER !!!!!!!!!!

6. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Obama needs to approve offshore drilling. Lots of jobs, a boost to the economy, a boost in reserves, lower gas prices (maybe). But then that would mean him making a smart decision for a change, so not likely.

7. oz

oz Active Member

You just don't get it!!!!!! the guys who sell you the gas don't make the money, the stock market makes the money AND they make the price. how much depends on how much money they want to make without the government getting involved. oz

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, GW22 is drinking your Kool Aid...might check with him.

9. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Well, let's see what Wall street does if Exxon or BP doesn't sell any oil for awhile.
    I don't think you get it either...Have you seen Big Oil profits lately?
    Pass me another glass before that goes up too

10. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Oz, with all due respect you don't understand the value of old trucks so you insult the guy by telling him his stuff is junk? Now you don't understand that the above poster is only saying that he offsets his gas costs by earning dividends on oil stocks, so you accuse him of "not getting it?". Pretty smart if you ask me. I'm beginning to see who may not be "getting it."

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Take over Kuwait and Iraq---They should be kissing our AXX---End of gas shortage---How come were not?----Germany---Japan--- So Korea---France---Italy and you name the others---We win the wars and save their AXX and they hate us---Time to take care of ourself---JMO----George@SJB---

12. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

You got it George. Kuwait is a relative friendly to us, but they should be giving us half-price oil anyway for saving their country from Iraq. We're idiots, plain and simple. I think Israel could take them all if the US would get out of their way.

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I agree Hawk---How long will it take us to wake up???George

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

All we heard was the Iraq war was over oil---Where's the beef???George

15. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Obummer has it. Kobe beef at that. :)

16. robervl

robervl TS Member

The answer is to use less. Buy a horse or walk or ride a bike. America has gotten soft and spoiled.

17. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I'll bet we can get some from China,they make everything cheaper.

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Their is enough oil in this country and off shore that we would never run out. Problem is once that is understood the price of gas would fall to record lows. The oil companies have people believing that we would run low or out in this country but that is untrue.
    Scientist and geogoligest from the private sector will tell you that the earth never stops making oil. The earth is covered by 70 percent water and most oil is easily reached within our own international limts. The people are being duped by the unknown media and the swindling oil companies along with the in their pockets politations.
    If you boycot one companie the cartel will buy the supply from that company and visa versa. Called taking care of each other.
    Leaglly Obama has no athuroity of the drilling cause the supreme court already explained he did not have the athuroity. However the oil companies wanted that to happen to strain the so called supply. There is not enough refinery right now to refine the oil that is sitting off shore to be unloaded now.
    It is true that there are a few of the people that are not afraid to speak up. I am supprised that the ingnorant public has not picked up on Donald Trump yet. So far he is the only one with any exposier to the public that speaks out and is not afraid. He does no economice and he is smart enough to no when someone is trying to screw the public.
    Trump would be a rough man to deal with but at this point of the game it is no time to be a pussy. Wild Bill

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I agree with that Bill---Trump takes no prisoners---He's no fan of mine but we need someone like him that knows how to get it done---George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.