1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Gas Grills?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by APrice, Sep 3, 2013.

1. APrice

APrice Active Member

The old grill is about to give it up...lots of rust in vital areas & not worth rebuilding. Any recommendations? I'd like as much stainless as possible and a price under 1K.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Weber's solid reputation is well earned.

-Gary

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I am also a big fan of the Weber line of grills. My friends and family have owned them, and although they will have parts that wear or rust out, you can pretty much get parts to rebuild them. They cook evenly, and are versatile for many different types of cooking, not just steaks, chicken or burgers and dogs. You might find a lesser-built grill that looks good, but as GW22 said, Weber's reputation is well-earned. That lesser-built grill won't hold up over time, and more than likely won't grill as well out of the box as a Weber will. You can go with a Viking or Ducane, but just like a Spolar comapared to a MEC reloader, it's hard to justify the big jump in price.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Lowes has a big sale going on and you can get some really nice grills for well under $1,000 ... I just bought two, one regular and one infrared less that $800 for both ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

like shotguns, there is one for every purse.

I liked the Aussie grills at Home Depot, seemed sturdy and priced ok.

If you want to burn more cash, you can spend 3 large on the Cal flame 4 burner job.

I had a Brinkman Patio grill a couple years ago and quality was good.

HM

6. Mark Stacklin

Mark Stacklin Member

Holland period.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Holland. No flash fires.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I hear Mice like to build their nests inside Holland grills.

9. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I am so aggravated with my Weber grill, the thing won't rust out. I screwed up and didn't buy one with a side burner in 1998 (I like to fry bacon and fish outside). The darn thing is rock solid, now I have changed the burners out three times over the years and got rid of the porcelain covered cast iron grates and replaced with stainless steel grates, but those replacements have kept an even burn over the years with no fuss. It just works!

I am tempted to take some sand paper to the freaking finish on the grill and throw on some salt and just start misting some water on the thing so it will DIE so I can justify buying a new Weber with the side grill...

Every three years or so I do take the air compressor to the burners and blow out spider webs, etc. However I use the grill frequently enough that I rarely get cob webs built up.

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Go infra-red...period. Google the brands...and especially the models numbers... and look at reviews...go from there. From a retired professional.

milt

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tron, even some mice have good taste.

12. BryanF

BryanF Active Member

The Fire Magic Aurora A540s is my choice.Very well built. Will last long enough to be included in your will!

Bryan

13. Bob M

Bob M Member

After going through a cheap gas grill every three years, we got a Weber. The fact that is you need a part for a 1972 model Weber, they can hook you up. Lifetime guaranteed burners mean nothing when three years later the parts are no longer made.

14. maka

maka Member

I have a Charbroil Commercial gade infa-red. Have it about 9 months. You can put wood chips on grates and every thing taste as good as my Weber. Purchased at Lowes. Had to by a gas tank but they can be refilled or exchaged for full one. Just had mine refilled. Good luck.

15. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I just bought my second Weber Spirit E210...not because my other is worn out because it is not, will have two to use the next couple of years. I like a basic grill, I do not use a side burner and the Spirit E210 is just the right size for me. I have had many of the Wal-Mart and Lowe's grills over the years and the Weber was my best move. They also replaced the grates several days prior to the warranty expiration without any questions asked. I also bought it off of Amazon.com and shipped right to the driveway. assembly was only about 90 minutes at the most.

I can attest for nonkock1 grill in the pervious post. That is a great weber grill although the food that comes off it is frequently undercooked and the taste is sometimes rather strange.

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

No thoughts on brand but.....Style. I will NEVER get another gas grill that does not have the lava rock in the bottom. I have had too many problems with grill "hotspots" I have never had a hotspot problem with the rocks. So my next grill will have them, or be able to take another grate for the rocks.

GS

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hit a couple garage sales on the weekend, good chance of finding a nice one for less than a $100. HMB

18. STOS

STOS Member

Once you have used or eaten from a pellet grill you will never ever use anything else.I have a trager and been in use for 25 years.There are now many other mfgs out there.I use a standard wood pellet with no binder no need to use a hardwood pellet.

19. APrice

APrice Active Member

I'm leaning toward the Holland Apex. I'm a little Leary of leaving the open-flame searing of meats behind though. Any Holland owners here who could elaborate on that?

20. B.C.

B.C. Member

Jen Air never look back, all Stainless and Copper and Brass