1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ Gary Cooper in turkey shoot

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Juno, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juno

Juno TS Member

Name the movie

2. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sargent York

3. DanBee

DanBee TS Member

Actually, the film is entitled "Sergeant York."

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Winchester 73-- with Jimmy Stewart was another turkey shoot

5. DJM

DJM Member

As a shooter I am often amused at Hollywood's depiction of accurracy but that shooting contest in Winchester 73 is among the most far fetched I've seen.

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

DJM, that shooting contest in Winchester '73 wasn't staged. The great Herb Parsons was standing just off camera and actually made that shot.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Wasn't there another shootin' contest in a movie call..LiL' Abner..?

8. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Not only did Herb Parsons actually do that stunt, he did it with a Winchester Mod 71 in .348. Now that's some shooting!!

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Every time I see the shooting scene from "Sergeant York" I think about how wealthy our country has became. I think the cow was going to be split up into quarters as the prize, but if I remember right 5th place prize was going to be for the cows hide and fat, and the 6th place guy got to go dig the lead out of the stump that the turkey was hid behind. Wow!! Could you imagine somebody doing that now?

On 2nd thought with the price of lead that might be a really good prize. Maybe we should try that at the next trapshoot. 5th or 6tn place shooter is given a rake and a shovel and you get half hour to take up all the lead you can in front of the trap.

Also in that movie wasn't Alvin York going to get him a piece of bottom land for $30? Anybody seen what that land goes for now down around Dale Hollow Lake? Of course I don't think the lake was there when Mr. York was trying to purchase his piece of land.

10. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Has anyone been to Alvin York's farm in Pall Mall. It is worth the trip?

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Party Girl, I was wondering the same thing. I have driven through that area several times and seen signs advertising the farm, but never stopped. Always had other people with me who weren't interested, even some who had never heard of Alvin York. What a crime.

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

I have never been to the farm itself. My dad's side of the family has a family reunion at the state park where his grist mill still stands. There is a small dam across the creek and the mill is open to visitors, and there are several picnic pavillions along the banks of the creek. There's not a lot to see at the mill really, the mill would not be worth travelling to see, unless you're really into old milling equipment or something. As I said, I've never actually been to the farm so I can't comment on it.

13. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

Juno, you were up late last night... I also watched that movie again last night at a time of day when a feller should have been doing something involving sleeping.

Mike

14. Juno

Juno TS Member

You're right Mike, but I'm a sucker for a good black and white. No matter what the time.

15. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

The graveyard is really something to see. It was a community cemetary and there is one old devil buried there with his wife and his paramour. LOL!

16. DJM

DJM Member

Jhoward - Do I have my movies mixed up? I remember Jimmy Steward's character in a shooting contest with the bad guy with a special Winchester as the prize. It got down to just those two and in a shoot off. Neither would miss so they kept making the shot more dificult. Finaly they are shooting at a washer thrown in the air by a 3rd person. Looks like Steward misses but he claims he shot through the hole. They agree to try again with a postage stamp stuck over the hole, one shot, he hits he wins, misses he loses. Off course it looks like a miss but when the referee picks up the washer the stamp has a hole in it. 1873 technology, offhand shoting, not one in a million could make that shot. What size groups could those old lever guns shoot? I've seen Tom Knapps show several times and he routinely misses the aspirin he throws into the air with his .22 mag. He does hit it but not every time. And a huge factor is that he is the one throwing it, I believe he would do much worse if someone else were throwing it.

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

DJM, Herb Parsons made that shot. He was standing off camera, using a .22. Tom Knapp duplicated the shot. He was also using a .22

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Bill Jordan could hit an aspirin tablet with a handgun. Try that.

19. Juno

Juno TS Member

DJM, that bad guy was his brother!

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember Davy Crockett on Disney. As I recall, he bounced a shot off three different items and still hit the target.... WOW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gary cooper pretends to shoot turkeys