1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Garmin maps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dickgshot, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The last time I bought the new maps for my Streetpilot was a couple years ago.
    They were absolutely worthless. Many new roads and construction -some that I knew about, that had been around for a long time - weren't on the update.
    I did a Google search and found a lot of similar complaints. So, the answer is
    NO, don't waste your money.

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Thankyou , I was just in the update mode, And felt $69.00 was high.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For me, last years update (2007) seemed to streamline driving through the DC area and a big update for the Jacksonville, Florida road system.

It was aways a guess on how the unit was going to take me through DC. It did not always choose the best route. My last trip through was right on the money.

I did not experience any problems driving around the Jacksonville region last winter. I shoot three clubs in the area and not a problem.

The 2008 update seemed to update motel chains and restaurants chains, as I found some that were not listed previously when I was plotting my trip south for the winter, but some no name restaurants in my local area are not listed.

I had issues with Orlando even after the 2007 update. Hopefully, they were addressed in the 2008 update.

I will say the 2008 update was a large download. If you don't have a fast connection and plenty of disk space, it might be advised to purchase the CD.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

ny friend T Garmin suggests that i update ABOUT EVERY THREE YEARS. remember that they are always one year behine anyway. motordoc

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I agree with motordoc. I was issued a 530 for work and find myself driving according to the GPS in a lot of fields. . . That was two years ago. About 3 months ago I was issued a brand new 550 with the traffic stuff. I am still driving in fields and going to walmarts, etc. that no longer exist because a new walmart was built 1 mile away. . .

Don't waste your money. With my experience with Garmin, I won't pay money for about 5-6 years. Google this topic and you will read about all kinds of honked off people nationwide that are disappointed with the "updated" map.

6. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Were are you driving? If your in an area with no new road over a year old then a update is not worth the money.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shooting Jack did it the right way, there isn't anything that you cannot get a deal on if you check out EBay and bid wisely ... I have saved a bundle of money by checking out EBay first on many things that I had to have weather I needed them or not ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

To bad the pop up did not say TomTom...as in map upgrades are free. TomTom One 3rd Edition at RadioShack.com...$100. and will be even less on a Black Friday deal (day after Thanksgiving).

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Where on the TOM TOM site does it say the map upgrades are free. Would be something to consider.

http://www.tomtom.com/index.php?Lid=1

I think Garmin upgrades are free for the first year from date of purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.