1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Garage door opener

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I need your help. Two months ago I installed a Chamberlain belt driven garage door opener. Works great. (When it works). I am having a heck of a time getting and most important keeping those stupid safety beams aligned so the door will function. (They are located on the track about 6" above the floor) (My old opener didn't have this option). At first I had to re-adjust the sensors about once a week. This time it lasted at least 2 weeks. Now I can't get the thing adjusted correctly at all. The instructions say that the receiving unit should have a "steady yellow light" and the sending unit should have a steady green light. Well I have all that and it still don't work. Before I would just "tweek" one of the sending units and then it would work for awhile. Well not anymore. It's got to be in these sensors. Is there any way I can somehow bypass this system and get it to operate like my old unit? Maybe splicing he wires together? I have no kids or grandkids to worry about. There is just me and the wife. I just want to rid myself of this stupid system. Thanks in advance for any help. Ed

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The dilemma in bypassing the safety system would be your legal position if there was an accident causing injury or death and it was apparent you rendered the system "unsafe." Just a thought for you....Bob Dodd

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Damn, the brackets should not be that flimsy that they would not stay aligned! Take Bob Dodd's advice and do not try to eliminate them. It would be your hind end if some ones pet or kid got smashed by the door. Best bet would be to unhook them and start over by the numbers in the manual. A dumb question, but are they mounted to the wall itself? They should be and not to the tracks. I first installed these things on garage doors almost 20 years ago and had not one bit of problems.Hell it might be going on 25 years. I think it was 1985, they have been around a long time. Good luck. Bill

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

There should be a 2X6 piece of wood that the roller track is mounted to. Go to hardware store and try to find some large L brackets that you can mount your sensors to, that stick out far enough to go beyond the roller track. Add a 2X4 to the 2X6 if need be. Once mounted solid to the wall and to sensor all should be fine. Hope this helps. Break-em all. Jeff

5. esoxhunter

I know what you guys are saying about the legal issue. But it pi$$e$ me off that it will work great for a couple of weeks and all of a sudden they are out of adjustment. I just now screwed around with them and got the yellow light and green light on the appropriate sensors supposedly in line and it now works fine. But I'll bet within the next couple of weeks I will be back to "square one again". The sensors have special brackets that allow one to mount them to the track. (The manufacturer recommends this method). I still feel the vibration from the track eventually throws these sensors out of line. Maybe I should mount them a different way. Thanks for the input. Ed

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THEM OFF THE TRACK!!!!!!

7. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I have mine on the track, and they are rock solid. If they are going out of alignment, it must be that the track is not solidly fastened to the wall.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ed, Here is the best advise I can give you, the company that my wife wokred for as a VP till a year ago when the company elimanted her position to save money rebuilds the boards for chamberlin garage door openers for Sears along with all their apliances and water softeners. The company information can be found at <cgiltd.com> get the phone number form the web site and call and ask for Jim Lewis. If it's an electronic issue he'll help you out. He is a great guy.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I have a Genie garage door opener. The sensors are mounted firmly to the wall and stick out about 6" on a bracket.

Also, it might help to read the Owner's Manual if you haven't already. On my Genie, there are 2 or 3 little lights on the overhead motor/control unit and 2 or 3 knobs for adjustments of opening force, closing force, etc.

Anyway, if you will notice how the lights on the overhead unit blink when you attempt to open or close the door, that will tell you a "code" that you can identify by looking in the Owner's Manual to tell you what the problem is.

Anyway, that's how mine works. Maybe yours is similar.

Good luck.

Easystreet

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My garage door opener has no sensors. It is not quite as old as I am. When there is an obstacle it will reverse and go back up. I don't think it would hurt a pet or a human if it encountered one.

Why would they mess up a perfect system?

HM

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

HM, They still go back up if they hit something on the way down, or "visa versa". Just another safty precaution against ""lawyers"". LOL Break-em all. Jeff

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've had Stanleys and now a Craftsman-branded unit... the "Craftsman" sensors snap onto the tracks, and are rock-solid... but I found happened when my sensors stopped working on the Stanley Screw Drive (mounted to the front wall) was fraying of wires leading back to the head unit... even showing power, something was amiss - make sure you have a solid connection from front to back...

Jay

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Quote: "My garage door opener has no sensors. It is not quite as old as I am. When there is an obstacle it will reverse and go back up. I don't think it would hurt a pet or a human if it encountered one.

Why would they mess up a perfect system?"

Presumably, your door has to actually HIT something and detect a certain amount of resistance before it starts back up. I think it is far safer for the door to reverse direction as soon as the light beam is interrupted rather than wait for the door to hit something. This could possibly save the hood of your car, injury to a small pet, or perhaps even a child's life.

Easystreet

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Of course. That way the reversal mechanism doesn't have to be so sensitive (cheaper to make). Mine will reverse on a cardboard box without hurting it.

Try that on a new one with the beam bypassed.

HM

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ed i left out the web address it is <www. cgiltd.com>

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I installed a new opener about 3 years ago. My old opener didn't have the sensors but the new one did, so I had the start from scratch with them. I adjusted the sensors the day I installed the opener, haven't touched them since, and they work perfectly. Clearly, you've done something wrong, or have defective units. It may be time to call a professional.

EE

17. esoxhunter

I took the sensors off the track and mounted them on the wall. It's working great right now. I feel the problem was created by the vibration of the door opening and closing. After numerous times of opening/closing the door the vibration affected the sensors; due to them being mounted on the track. With them now mounted to the wall there is no vibration. Time will tell; but I am encouraged that this has solved the problem. Thanks for all the help. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.