1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Game camera choice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by andybull, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybull

andybull Active Member

My neighbor seems to think that someone is stealing diesel from a 250 gallon tank I have on my property, I thought that a game camera might be just what I need to catch the perpetrator.

Before I go and buy the wrong camera, which one would you recommend?

Thanks,

Andy

2. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Had good luck with the moultrie I40. On sale at Natchezzs for 159.99 and is infra red. No big flash at night.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Good idea, but having had my picture taken numerous times by our own cameras while leaving my stand at dark, I can tell you that even the infra-red jobs make their presence quite obvious to humans when they take a picture. Accordingly, if I were the perpetrator, I would be inclined to take the camera with me or at least remove the memory card from it. That would confirm your neighbor's suspicions, but at the possible cost of a camera.

Have you considered a lock on your tank?

Ed

4. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

might it be easier to lock the tank some how?

I'm guessing that any game camera is going to emit some sort of flash to take the picture. In the dark of night, any flash, no matter how little will be detected by the thief.

Unless your camera is difficult to get to you will either have it stolen too or destroyed by the fuel thief.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If it were me, I'd buy a $10 lock and see if it gets cut off. If it gets cut, then I'd set out by the tank with my 12 ga, flashlight, and cell phone.

It only takes about one or two episodes of this to happen for word to get around. I vary rarely ever have a problem on my property. When I do, it's usually from someone new in the area that hasn't got the "word".

The local sherrif joked that at one time I had more arrests than a couple of his deputies. If word gets out that you're an easy mark then things will continue to happen. The local law enforcement officers won't pursue a picture.

ss

6. andybull

andybull Active Member

It's a combination lock, I hate to need access and find out I don't have the key. I have about 6 locks with the same combination throughout the property, so I told him I will be changing the combination when I get there Monday (all I have to do is find the key to change the combination on the tumbler, or buy an extra lock), I would like to find out if the yard guys are taking fuel.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Maybe it's because I'm not a crook but if I were stealing something and a flash went off I would leave so fast. The thought of going back to get the camera would never cross my mind. Jackie B.

8. andybull

andybull Active Member

I have a feeling that if this is being done it's during daylight hours, I'm an absentee land owner and people there know that. Are these cameras quiet?

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ours are almost silent.

Ed

10. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I use cuddebacks for security and I am very happy with them. I tried Moultrie but the trigger speed was too slow. If someone were in a vehicle, at 20 mph, they would be by the camera before pic was taken. With the cudde, at 20 mph, I will have their tag number.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have supplied several of the Cuddeback No-Flash cameras to local law enforcement for some covet stuff. They work fine, but Cuddeback does not give much of a discount for law enforcement... actually their discount is less than you can get them on sale at Cabela's.

Consequently, I ordered in a new Bushnell Trophy. The Trophy comes in two models, but only differ on the kind of internal playback modes: black & white or color. Honestly, you don't even need the playback feature because we just remove the memory cards and put them into the computer.

I like the color one and have it here trying to get a shot of a mountain lion running around on my property. I think the B&W is equally as good for a few dollars less.

The Bushnell costs me about $100 less than the Cuddeback, and being IR (no-flash), law enforcement will be switching to these.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.