1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Front load washing machines

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

I know this is not a trapshooting topic but my washing machine needs replaced. My frigidaire is only 6 yrs. old and needs a new plastic drum $210 for the part. I have replaced several parts in this washer (pump & 2 connecting rods) , so they are out of the question. Is there any repairmen out there to make any suggestions?. I would like one that will last like my old whirlpool top loader. My wife wants a front loader. Any reccommendations from repairmen?. Thanks, Mike

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Be careful on the front loaders. The seal molds and Whirlpool won't replace it under warrenty. My mother in law found out the hard way and it was on the local news because one of the anchor women Ruth Spencer from WDIV Detroit has the same washer and the same problem and got the cold shoulder.

Watch the videos above. It's from the news room and Ruth is the Blond that owns one of those moldy machines.

Jerbear

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Go to the above site I gave you and type in "whirlpool gaskets" and use the drop down arrow and go to more than 30 days old.

You will see the videos.

Man I hate news sites.

Jerbear

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

We bought a Whirlpool pair 2 years ago.....they've been great so far....love the job they do and the huge capacity....and I'm under no illusions they'll last as long as the Maytag pair that finally gave up the ghost after 32 years...

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I bought a new Maytag Front Loader in one word JUNK . Had it work,t on three times (computer board) down three or four days each time . We traded it for a Maytag top load ( about half the price) even up . It was not much better . Now we have an LG-Borg Top Load Wife like it so far .

6. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

All front loaders tend to have mold problems. This is not new. Westinghouse had a front loader out since the 50's or early 60's. Rubber boot molded. These units are air tight, dark and damp by their very design. There are a few things that can be done to help aleviate this problem. Leave the door ajar. This leaves air in to dry out inner tub. If you use liquid clorox on a regular basis, you probably don't have much of a mold problem. Maytag devised a "freshen up" proceedure to help customers that don't use much clorox. Pour 1 cup of liquid clorox into the detergent dispenser, 1 cup of clorox into the rubber boot trough at 6 o'clock, and 3-4 ounces of dish washer detergent into the S.S. tub. Set on hot wash, heavy soil, and heavy cycle. This is specifically for Maytag Neptunes. But it can be modified for any front loader. You are disinfecting all hoses, sump area, and pump. Front loaders by and large are good units for cleanability, stingy on water and soap. Get used to the idea, they are here to stay, and manufacturers will faze in more front loaders and make less top loaders as the years go by. I get this info from 17 years as a Maytag home appliance dealer, later going to work for Maytag and now W/Pool as a factory service tech.

7. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

We have the Whirlpool Front load Duet Washer&Dryer and my wife loves them.
    Two things to know, You will need the dryer too because the capacity of the washer is large it will wash 7 to 8 pairs of jeans in a load.The dryer you have now will be too small.
    You need to use HE (High efficiency) Detergent. It comes in most brands but it is more expensive.
    Good Luck!
    Scott

8. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Working for W/pool, I have the priviledge to work on all brands of laundry. I am not impressed with product in any category made in South Korea, such as LG, or Samsung. They are made with much cheaper materials and we see more service on these units over the W/pools, Maytags. I am not saying this just because I work on them. It's a plain fact.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We bought one of the new Maytag front loaders last year. This is the kind that has a high speed spin cycle. We're very happy with it. It's cut our water and gas useage down. Compared to our old machine, it cleans larger loads better with less water. And the high speed spin cycle wrings so much water out that we can set our dryer on the minimal time cycle, which also cuts gas usage. Our old washer required the maximum time setting. Oh, and soap usage has been cut in half. You'er supposed to use a special soap for these new front loaders, but we found you can just use half of the usual amount of liquid soap. Which is good, because I still use my special scent neutralizing soap for my hunting clothes - I just use half. Which is good because if you've priced it, that soap is expensive. Some states offer an energy credit on these machines. The caveat is - make sure that the machine you buy meets the criteria. This changes every year. We went with a newer machine with a faster spin speed because the cheaper model from the year before was just below the energy credit criteria. And, despite claims by dealers, there is no federal energy credit for these machines. Not for consumers, anyway. The credit is for the manufacturer, not the consumer. Any dealer who tells you that there is a federal credit is either confused or lying. There are state credits, but look into them before buying the machines. As for getting deals, these machines often go on regular sales. Particularly around traditional holidays. Check the paper for ads. Check prices at Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, et al. Between sales, some stores have in-store gift certificates. Be careful to calculate how much the certificate is for. Some may claim to be, say, $200, but when you do the math, it might only be $75. These certificates are OK if you're planning on making other future purchases. We're remodeling the house, so such certificates work for us.<br>
    <br>
    Oh, one more thing - we paid a bit more and got a model with Sanitary Cycle. The machine has an on demand hot water heater in it to boost the temp beyond what your hot water heater puts out. It's purpose is to kill mold, bacteria, etc. If you get towels that smell even after washing, this will eliminate that problem. Used periodically, it also eliminates molding of gaskets, etc. Two things that help with molding or smells in these machines, whether you opt for Sanitary Cycle or not, is to leave the door ajar overnight to let the machine air out and dry, and never leave laundry in it overnight.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I will take longevity and reliability. Whirlpool direct drive are the best for my style and purpose.

Had others in 45 years of family life, One set of Frigidaire was great, the next (same type) was a festering pile of dog poo.

I replaced a drive coupling on a whirlpool just one time, nothing else ever.

I personally feel front load machines are a lot of hassle, but they do use less water. Water is cheaper than parts around here.

HM

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Part of the problem here is that our sewer bill is based upon our water bill. Use more water and pay more for sewage. So that's another plus of a low water usage machine.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I solved the problem by listening to my appliance repair guy. Bought a Whirlpool top loared for less than $400 delivered and installed and took away the old one.

A shooting buddy is already having problems with his front loader.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

We replaced our top loading General Electric washer and gas dryer last week with a Sears Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) top loading pair. We bought the mid range models for about $450 each. We like them because they are super quiet.

We are well satisfied. I bought a similar pair for my mom about 8 years ago and they have been perfect. The General Electric units were good but, after 15 years of use, with no service calls, they were a little long in the tooth. Each had a minor problem warranting a service call and te washer was very noisy when it operated.

We looked at the front loaders but my wife did not trust them as she was afraid of spills. She also did not like that she would have to bend over to get clothes out of the washer. She has arthritis in her back.

In sum, the top loader Kenmore (Whirlpool) is a proven design, is very quiet, and costs less. They really get your clothes clean.

Over the years, we have migrated to almost all Kenmore appliances and are well pleased with their performance and Sears’s service.

Ed Ward

14. cfchief

cfchief Member

LG 5YEARS OLD WORKS GREAT

15. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Buy MIELE made in Germany to same standards as Benz and BMW, expected life 25 years, ours is 20 years old and still going strong, 1 new front door rubber, and one selonoid, goes twice a day every day. I know it's not made in good old US of A but by what most of you are saying the home product appears to be on a par with your cars, we run all German appliances and all Japanese Toyota cars, (that is made in Japan, not from some overseas transplant factory)

Argus

16. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

My family has owned and operated an appliance business for over 35 years. I currently have a front load set in my own home, so I will give you both my personal and professional recommendations on them. First and foremost, if you buy front loaders, spend the money to get the risers to raise them up. If not, they will absolutely kill your back after a while of loading and unloading. Two, make sure that you keep the gasket boot inside the door dry, the new ones have drain kits installed in them, but they don't get all of the moisture out of this area. If moisture is left here, it WILL mildew. Three, front load washers have the most moving parts of any washer on the market, more moving parts means more things to give problems. From the professional side, front loaders are more time consuming to work on, so if you're paying a service company to reapair them when they break, your bill will be higher. In my personal and professional opinion, the best washer out there is the top load high efficiency models by Fisher and Paykel. They are a New Zealand based company that has been in the US since 1997. I have been a stocking dealer since 2003. There washers only have 4 moving parts-a water valve, a diverter valve, a pump and a DC drive motor, that's it!! No belts, pulleys, clutches, transmissions, drive couplings, etc. The entire machine can be taken apart with a philips screwdriver. They also have out now a top load dryer to match the washer. This design moves almost twice the air volume as a standard dryer so it also cuts down on dry time. Like I said, I have been a dealer for 5 years now, and I run VERY little service on these machines. The most common problem I repair isn't even the washers fault, it is caused by customers leaving things in their jean pockets and locking up the pump. All that is required to fix the problem is to pop the pump off and remove the foreign material. This literally takes about 3 minutes!!! Hope this helps, and feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions. Garrett

17. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Get a Maytag front loader. No problems in 4+ years. 0. Once dirty electricty confused the board, but repairman suggested a surge protector and no more problems. Leave door open to dry. My Maytag man is Floyd Lippencott Jr. out of Burbank, whose real name is Bob Muravez of the Peters and Frank "Freightrain" dragster fame from the olden days. He has tuned up my Maytag and it hooks up and cuts great times without tipping the can.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've never wore out or had to service my top loading Maytag.

Hauxfan!

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I could give some informed advice about reloading machines, but my experience with washing machines is limited to getting the cloths dirty so they can be washed. I have noticed matched front loading washer/dryers come in pretty colors. When I am looking for something in the laundry room, the top loading machines make a fine table to put things on while I search for something else. They would not be too bad to use as a gun cleaning table. The front loading machines are way too tall to use as a table.

Pat Ireland

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bought my wife a front load Maytag ( washer and dryer) about 8 years ago. Has been great for us, no probs and my wife says it is the best she has ever had

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

frigidaire washing machine leaves dark spots on clothes