1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Frigidiaire YT-Relay

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got an old Frigidaire frig in the basement. 1948 model, I think. Well anyway the starter relay went out. I replaced it once before like 20 years ago. Got on the net and they do not make that part anymore. I ran into an appliance repair guy at the conv. store and asked him about it he said to just go to local HVAC supply and get a "hard start" for it and put it in myself.

I'm planning to go to the local HVAC supply shop tomorrow and look for one. Just wanting to know what to ask for so I don't make a complete fool of myself. Just ask for a "hard start" to replace a Frigidaire YT-Relay??? I'm guessing it is some kind of starter capicator? Any chance it would come with a wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What I always do in this kind of situation is assess what the part fundamentally does. Forget everything except what does it do? How many poles? Ratings of contacts, voltage and current. Voltage of coil. Then I go looking for something that will electrically and mechanically duplicate that function. There's usually something available that will work. Maybe different shape, might have to modify the wire termination type but usually very doable.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bisi go to Appliance Parts Pros.com they will probably be able to get the part, most wholesale houses won't sell to you if you aren't in the trade, pi$$es off the customers that use them to make a living

What you probably need is a current relay most of the hard start kits use a potential relay that would work or a solid state relay that will also work the problem with a solid state relay is they use a thermistor to kick out the start winding which works good, the only problem is if the electricity would happen to kick off for a few seconds while the fridge is running it won't restart because it takes about 5 minutes off time for the thermistor to cool off so it can energize the start windings so the compressor will restart

I learned this the hard way about 40 yrs ago when they first came out, I used one on a real nice older ladies freezer, but she wasn't real nice when what I described happened, I quit using them

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The add-on part is called a HARD START, as you were told.

Typically used for compressors that lag when starting. It is an add on capacitor to help with a little extra umpf (that's a technical term) at start up.

It comes in a few different sizes - just tell the guy what you want it for and he should be able to help you size it. (might help to have the amps, etc. off the unit when you go in).

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I stopped by an appliance parts store yesterday. The guy knew the relay I had in my hand, said he had sold a lot of em years ago. He said he heard of people making a hard start work. I purchased a "3n'1 Start" -Solid State Relay Overload Start Capacitor Combination.

Hooked it up this afternoon, but I can't get it to work. I coded the wires before I took off the old relay. Got the 2 120volt feed wires, Then I have wires marked L-common, S-start, M-run. Got them all wired up. My meter shows it is getting 118volts to the start, but it is not starting. I don't know what I did wrong. Guess I will play with it more tomorrow if I don't spend too much time at the trap club.

I know it is the relay, because I changed it once before - 20 to 25 years ago and it is doing the same thing. With old relay in it will just click but not start the compressor. With the new 3n1 it does nothing. I probably got it wired wrong somewhere.

It is hell getting old, I can't do a damn thing anymore. Stuff that I used to be able to do in 5 minutes now takes a day if I can do it at all. Didn't mean to whine, hey that is one thing I'm still good at. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
frigidaire 1948 yt relay
frigidaire a44 yt relay
frigidaire yt-relay
frigidaire yt-relay cold
frigidaire yt-relay illustrate
schematic for yt-4 relay
yt relay

yt-4 relay