1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Ford Ranger engine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by oz, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oz

oz Active Member

stock, good engine

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Yep, that's stock. Although those didn't have a lot of power, great little engine.

3. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

They are very good little truck & Eng. combo.
    Not a lot of power, Fuel is So So, if maintained properly you'll see 200K

4. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

5. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The motor is made by Mazda, my son has a Ranger that has 320,000 miles on it. The most expensive repair is when the timing belt had to be changed.

7. Tron

I'm buying a new one next week with a 5 speed and 4 banger. The last one that I had went 280,000 and was still ticking. I never had the engine apart. I replaced the timing belt about every 100,000. It went through 2 clutches (easy to change), upper and lower ball joints and a few sets of brakes. One of the best vehicles that I ever owned.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

JONO2,

2 spark plugs per cylinder to help in the cumbustion process and help make the engine meet emissions. The manufacturer can run a little leaner fuel to air ratio settings and still get a complete burn.

Like the others have said, not a lot of power but run forever. Ford has sold a lot of those Rangers over the years and for good reason.

ss

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My experience has been that that engine works best with an automatic transmision. I had one and tried to pull a 15 ft alumicraft boat and it wouldn't pull it at highway speed in fifth gear. The auto would pull it without any problem and I got around 24 MPG. Jackie B.

10. Tron

Actually the 2.5L is derived from the old 2.3L which, believe it or not, got it's start in the Pinto in 1975. Not a whole lot different, even to this day. The head is a completely different set up though...but, most everything else is very very similar.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Speaking of the Pinto 2.3L (in those days we called it the 2300), I wonder if aftermarket speed parts are still available. At one time these engines were hopped up with big cams, 4-bbl intakes, and straight exhaust pipes, then put into T-Buckets. Made an interesting alternative to the almost cliche' small block Chevy you see in these.

12. Tron

Yep, you're right Brian. It's actually a great motor to soop up. You can get bolt on turbo kits, cams, headers...etc, no shortage of parts. When I was in High School, one of my friends cammed up his Mustang ll (piece of crap car...wasn't worthy to be called a Mustang) added the 4 barrel carb/manifold/header kit from one of those after market magazine/performance companies (spent a lot of money) and had at it. It was a "bit" faster than my Pinto with the 2300....but not much. A few months later, I found a V-6 Pinto, and totally left him in the dust. A couple of years later, he found a Chevy Monza (sp) V-8 and left me choking in his smoke. A couple of more years went by and I found another really clean Pinto and dropped an 302 in it (did it right, built C4 trany, 9" rear end, connected the rear with a home made subframe).....and left everybody in the dust. It was actually pretty funny. Back then, the spoiled rich kids all had their "6.6 Trans ams" and they were getting eaten alive by a Pinto!

I remember coming home in that car and just shaking because of all of the stupid $hit I did (and got away with) in that death trap.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tron, I ran into one of those Pinto's with the v8 dropped in. I had a Maverick Grabber that I had modified a good bit and thought it was bad. The pinto dusted me bad so I had to spend some more money. I went with a 411 mustang rear end and that got me back up to speed. It amazes me that I didn't get killed with some of the stunts I pulled. Never got seriously injured. LOL Jackie B.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Tron, I sold my brother in law my old Ranger. It had 225,000 on it and is still going strong. If you notice a drop in oil pressure at around 150,000 you need to drop the pan and replace the pan gasket. At around that mileage many of them melt the pan gasket and it clogs the oil pump. It is a good idea to replace the gasket before that happens. I had it happen to me.

15. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

This thread reminds me how much fun you can have when you don't have much money. I searched for a Pinto station wagon back in the day, with the smaller 4-banger - 2.1 liter? Can't remember the size, but it was the engine Ford was importing from Opel. Was supposedly a little stronger than the 2300 Ford was phasing in at the time. Anyway, I found my German Pinto and proceeded to add all the goodies mentioned above. Offenhauser intake, new cam, Hedmann header, 2" exhaust system, jacked that poor little engine up somewhere north of 150 HP and was sure I'd done something worth writing home about! Oh, had to have the station wagon because they had torsion bar suspension and were winning parking lot autocross competitions, so that was the only way to go. Had a big dog then too, and she liked the extra room in the back of the wagon. Fun car when it was all done. Thanks for the reminder, Tron.

16. Tron

There was a guy from the other high school (where all the Hillbilly kids went, LOL) a couple of years before my time that had a Pinto "Youth wagon" with a 351 Windsor in it. He was taking everyone's lunch money in a big time way. His Father was a humdinger of a performance Mechanic and the car was tied together real well.

Then there were the Chevy Vega kids. I think the Chevy V8 had the performance advantage over the Ford, but the Vegas body was SUPER flimsy and really needed to be tied together well or it twist like a pretzel. The Pintos body and suspension were superior in every way and didn't need all that much in reinforcements.

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tron,

Was the 2.3 the engine that was in the SVO Mustangs and the T'bird/Cougar turbo coups?

Those cars ran pretty good for a turbo 4 cylinder in the mid 80's.

ss

18. Tron

Yes short, same engine...just a heavy duty version.

I could only find a couple of pictures of the "Super Pinto" as my friends would call it.

The hood scoop was off of a 79 Mustang turbo and wasn't just for looks. I had to cut a hole in the hood because the Weind (sp) high rise maniford, coupled with the Holly double pumper were too high.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2918.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I ran the duel exhaust right next to each other (added a sleeper effect and was a lot easier to do that way with how the drop crossmember connected my frame in the back) on the right side.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2917.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

19. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

The only reason you didn't get hurt in those hot Pinto's is that you were going fast enough that no one could run into the back of you. LOL

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Toward the end of the run of Pintos Ford started giving away a bottle of barbecue sauce with each one they sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.