1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ FORD Explorer Question wide open cruise c

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

a friend has a 92 ford explorer with 50,000 miles onit. Yesterday he had the cruise set at 65 , it started climbing gradually to 90 and was going further,he tried tapping the brake turning the unit off to no avail then off with the key and fought it to the roadside on the Interstate. He knocked it out of gear and it went past the redline, SCARY! So he starts it and all is fine until he gets off 95 and gets on a 2 lane backroad and it engages by itself without touching it and gets the SHT scarred out of him even more. They proceded to disconnect and plug the vaccum line to the bellows, and they made it home. Anyone know what is the cause? Thanks, Jeff

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I think this is one of the years that was part of the big Ford recall. The cruise control could actually end up starting a fire even with the ignition off. I would get back to Ford ASAP.

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

This car is not part of the cruise recall. That recall only involved certain years that had a switch that would short and cause a fire. Not a WOT concern. I'm sorry but your story sounds a bit fishy. Turning the key off will shut down everything, not cause the engine to redline! Give me a break!!!!!!!!!

Steve

4. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Exactly who owns this Exploder?

Stephen King? Is it red and white by chance?

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Sorry and let me clarify, THe engine would redline when put in neutral while trying to pull over. Then if started in park would redline. Jeff

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine had a car ( not a Ford Explorer ) where the aftermarket cruise control that was installed acted like the one that this thread described. Morale of that story is never ever get an aftermarket cruise control.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

THanks once again TRON. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.