1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT * Ford 8N Tractor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Evening, It's been a while since I posted and a few of you long time subscribers may remember this topic back in '06. I purchased an 8N Ford tractor to restore and try to make a little money on. That was the goal, however 3 years and a considerable amount of money later, the tractor is finished. I am only guessing mind you, but I believe that I spent more on the restoration than the value of the tractor. If it needed something to take it back to original, I purchased it. Hood, Fenders, wheels, tires, starter, radiator, grill coil, head light, gauges, plugs, all fluids, steering wheel, wheel nuts, oil lines, gas tank, and last but not least, the entire engine was torn down and over hauled.

This tractor was painted with automotive quality paint. $325.00 for two gallons of paint, hardener, and thinner. It looks better than new, It looks sexy.

The real question, and I promise I am coming to one, is should I sell it ? Try to get what I can for it ?? OR should I try to raffle it off ?? I have no use for this tractor, if I turned it around in my front yard, I would have encompassed the whole yard. What do you all think a restored 8N Ford should bring for sale ? Would any of you spend $10 on a raffle ticket to win it should I go that route ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have had two of them in years past.They were my therapy machines. The value depends on what vintage 8N it is. Does it have a tachometer and the distributor on the side meaning a later model? A factory high/low transmission would be a big plus to some. A neighbor of mine totally re-did a Farmall Cub. Cost was no object. It is beautiful but when I went to local antique tractor group they said $2500 tops which really surprised me. The 8N is a useful tractor with a 3 point hitch but geared to high for a cultivator and has weak brakes. For field mowing and post hole digging its great. In a better economy I would offer you $3500 for the tractor alone. Enjoy the simplicity of it. I miss mine.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'd suggest that you get what you can for it and don't sweat the loss. You probably enjoyed yourself and learned a lot. There are a lot worse things you could have spent your time & money doing.

-Gary

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got one of those with a Funk 6 cylinder conversion. I just use it to bush hog around the place. I always wanted one of the V/8's though.

ss

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

They tend to bring more money than they are really worth for what they can do.
    $3500.00 is about what a restored 8N will bring.

I had a 600 which is a later version of the 8N that I restored.
    I used it to brush hog, leveled dirt with a box blade.
    Hooked a trailer to it and hauled firewood out of the woods.
    Also used it to haul deer to where i could load them on my truck.

The down side is that the 8N is that it doesn't have "live power"
    The upsside is that they are easy to work on and keep running
    Parts are readily available.

ed.

6. finger

finger TS Member

I have an 8N in my barn that is original, complete and somewhat taken apart. I started that project in 2003 and have not touched it in several years. There is a box of parts on the shelf. I suspect one full day of work and a new 6 volt battery will have it back together and running. Someday. I had high hopes for myself. I was gonna restore that baby and make it look pretty yet be a work tractor. I lost interest when I found out I don't like working on it as much as the restoration books made me think I would. Around here they go for far more than one would think they should. Lots of guys like to restore them. I do doubt I will get out of it what I have into it in $$$. I should get to it and put it back together and see what it will bring. Good luck in selling yours. bob finger

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A lot depends on what part of the country you are in, some parts especially the south still think a lot of them. I suppose it have tricycle front end? They have old tractor shows and meets all over the country, find a fair sized one and trailer it there, you will get some offers and find out what it's worth.

Edit to add: post a picture or it didn't happen.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

sliver',

Shows what you know! All 8N's have a wide front. Go back to drinking or whatever you do.

ss

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

What is really funny is how many of us seem to walk the same path. I have had two 8Ns. I love the damn things and used to get a real kick out of driving mine around the block in this rather upscale neighborhood. When I lived in Reno, there was a guy who bought them in pieces by the freight car load. He would steal parts from many to make one,paint it and sell it. There, apparently, is always a market. I think $3500.00 is top of the mark for a restored unit. I would love to have another, but not at that price. Good for you for your efforts...would really like to see a picture or two. Personnally, I would keep it.

JON

10. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

I have a pair of Golden Jubilee's Fords first tractor with live hydraulics. I have them both restored. I have one broke down to replace a front seal in the transmission. I use them and am going to sell one when I have time to finish the seal job. I will try to post a picture.

mc

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mr. Charles,

My neighbor has Golden Jubilee that he bought new. It's the only tractor he's ever owned. It has worked his 50 acres without ever letting him down.

ss

12. warren

warren Member

Go to the antique tractor show every summer in Tulare, Ca. You might even try the Ag show there in Feb. every year, that's gonna be your best market for it ag. people from all over the country attend those shows they are the largest in the country as far as I know. At least you'll get a good idea of the market value.

warren

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought s Ford 4400 in 1972, a 40hp diesel version of the 8N....it's real workhorse and is one of the most comfortable small tractors ever built...Ford got it right with the 8N....and those with flathead Ford V-8 are really cool...

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Need pictures of the tractor........before you restored it and after would be nice.

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

15. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I've had an 8N and now have a 600 series (650-5 speed). A nice restoration might fetch $3000 so around here. Otherwise 8N's go typically 2500 or less depending on the machine. Visit this site for all the info you ever wanted

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/

16. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

I am looking for a reasonably priced tractor to work on. I only have an acre out side of Sacramento Ca. I am torn between an old fixer or a little kubota type with a bucket call me if you have something to sell/ and close Marv 530-520-2612

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

All these posts and NO photos???? Come on.

Jim Skeel

18. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

8-N's did not have live hydraulics or live power. Their best use was to have a box on the back and use it for transportation in the days before the 4-wheelers. Dangerous to brush-hog with without an "overriding clutch on the driveshaft, tempermental to start, no position hold with the 3-point (either going up or down), and grossly inadequate brakes, gosh the fond memories go on and on. I bought a Ford 1720 diesel in 1986 with a loader and have used it regularly for everything and used it hard without so much as a tune-up while using about 1/3 the fuel. Live everything including power steering. 1953 was Fords Jubilee year and the 8s were before that. You are not using a '53 car or truck, why endanger yourself or someone else with an old tractor that was marginal at best 60 years ago??.........merlyn....

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This is my tractor after using an 8N for years. john Deere 5310, shuttle sync
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.