1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:flyfishinfool re Locust Tree Wood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Dan, I have several Locust trees 52 to 76 inches in diameter with 8 to 14 foot main trunks. Do they have any value other than firewood? Tony

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The Amish prefer them for fence posts.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. furface

furface Member

i cut a blank, put it up in the rafters for a year and then made a rifle stock. it looks like screwbean mesquite after it's finished. it's tough and needs to be end sealed to keep from checking. makes a pretty stock, has ribbon flame if quarter sawn. hope this helps. good luck. Joe

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Joe, That sounds interesting. Could you show us a picture? Jake

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

sometimes (rarely)- they have figure and dont split when you dry them

It might be worth a try

I have seen them used for gun wood

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

TC- I have seen a lot of Locust but I have never seen any with nice grain. Based on the size of your logs (DBH 52-76), I am not so sure it is even good firewood. It takes a lot of work to split big Locust logs. The trees might be best standing. They make prime squirrel homes.

If the trees are near Dan's home in Arkansas, you could sit under them and see if an Ivory Billed Woodpecker lands on a branch.

Pat Ireland

7. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Tony - I can't help but ponder that you think I am smarter than I actually am.

Truth of the matter is I don't have a clue.

Now, if you ask me about fly rods, dulcimers, Ivory Billed Woodpeckers or the virtues of a pump gun - I am a damn genius.

Managing pines is pretty simple. Ya just plant the green side up.

Hardwood questions, however, are out of my league. Although I can't recall any specific or unique uses of locust.

Sorry I couldn't help

Dan

8. TC

TC TS Member

Pat, the main problem is that they are within 20 to 30 feet of the house. The darn beards and leaves get into the gutters on the house and the air intakes of the vehicles. They don't provide any real shade, the pods make a mess and I am getting to old to clean the gutters weekly. Tony

9. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Hey Tony - I did just think of something. Anyone in your area make wooden bowls ?

Those guys are always looking for unusual or colorful woods.

Dan

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I just cut up 5 cord of Black Locust for firewood that had been damaged in a prairie fire about 4 years ago. They make excellent fire wood and I believe from looking at the grain, if free of borer holes would make excellent lumber for something. It was a shame to use it for firewood but didn't know what else to do with it. Ben

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As fence posts, locust will last longer than pressure treated wood without rusting the wire or staples. Some old split rail fences were built using locust and they lasted longer than other wood. Shame to burn them! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.