1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-flushing Water Heater

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

that is fine but the main thing to watch is that the drain valve closes most of the newer tanks have a plastic drain they are VERY easy to break/or not close again. If you are going to flush that much i would put a ball valve in it rick

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You might try turning the water off to the house and opening one or two valves on tubs or sinks. Leave the handle in the middle or open both the hot and cold sides. If you turn off the valve (over tank)for the cold water that goes into the talk the water will not drain out well. It needs to be able to suck air into the tank as the water leaves it. Good Luck and Break=em all. Jeff

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Hook up a hose to the WH and then turn off the water supply to the tank. Drain the tank. Now turn on the water supply leaving the drain valve open. Run the water for a few minutes. Close the valve, disconnect the hose and check for leaks. That's it. Do check for leaks though. Those drain valves are notorious for not closing again.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was reading that you can add some chemicals to help the cleaning process. Is this necessary? also, how would you add the chemicals---Lou

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Anyone have any long term experience with the "self-flushing" water heaters. I bought a Sears Kenmore gas model that puts a cold water inlet tube at the bottom of the tank to constantly swirl the bottom to avoid sediment formation, anyone have any experience on how effective that system is in preventing calcification?

Jay

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jay,

My guess is that its better than not doing that.

I heard once that the key to water heater longevity is replacing the anode periodically, say once every 5 years.

Mine's probably due. I replaced it about 10 years ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.