1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Florida vs.California

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Straight99, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have lived in both and you are right as far as you go. I now live in florida and can add that in Fl. you will pay more for what you do. Like trap shooting. The food is also better in Ca. But the weather is better in Fl. Take your pick.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hurricanes and lots of bugs, And pythons too.

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

You might consider Arizona and Texas along your way. Ron

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I like the warm weather buy cannot handle the humidity in Florida ... Southern Arizona gets very warm but lacks the moisture in the air which makes it just the way I like it ... If you want 4 seasons try Northern Arizona, that way you can get out of the snow and ice country anytime you want by taking a trip down into the valley ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Never seen a python in Tallahassee. Stop by the Tallahassee Rifle & Pistol Club and check us out. We shoot practice every Saturday & Sunday @ 9:00 and registered targets the first Sunday of each month.

Gary Rickard

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Many people in the Southwest enjoy summer in British Columbia. Vancouver Island - Campbell River area - was a summer center of action for the Reno crew for many years.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Florida, California is going to fall into the ocean.

Eric

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Florida has cops everywhere, and the cops are bullies, liars, violent and authoritarian. It's like living in a prison. For having so many Northerners, the place has Jesus-squeezers everywhere. Rents are much higher than they should be.

For seven months, it's absolutely brutal to shoot there. I still have a sweatband in my car that people ask what it's for. I tell them you can't see by the time you make it to station two, for all the sweat. The headband lets me complete a round.

The gun advocacy is nonexistent. They are some of the most piss-poor 2A advocates found in any state. They hate open carry. California at least has a persistent UOC movement. All the East Coast transplants get all fearful at the idea of open carry, and they are big fans of carriers having to get permission from the government to exercise a right.

The East Coast people who have overrun the place have a very scammy attitude and feel about them, and you have to be on your guard in all your dealings in Florida. It's difficult to trust what anyone says there. A lot of the people are short-tempered, belligerent, dumb and rude. The State government is one of the most oppressive in the country. State government has its fingers into absolutely everything. Yeah, Florida has no income tax, but you'll pay for it another way.

If the distance between your car and the car in front of you is 8'1", a Floridian driving a car measuring 8' will jump into your lane without using a signal.

Perhaps worst of all, Florida doesn't, how can I say this, "feel like America." There's no way around that. From one end to the other, it's really obvious that you've left America once you've crossed the line.

Have fun, but know that, like California, more people are leaving Florida than moving there. It's a very unscrupulous place with a horrible reputation in the rest of the country. If you're looking to skip the income tax, go to Texas. Texas feels like America.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Big differance between Pensacola and the east coast of Florida. Go to Pensacola, for sure.

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

If your not a Democrat come on down. LOL

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Smoking357, where did you go in Florida? You are right about some areas. The damn yanks have ruined it. Different areas of Florida attract different groups of people. West Palm and south is New York City and Latino. The Latino's are winning in Miami. Signs in Miami ofter have Spanish as the primary language and English as the secondary, smaller print language.

Daytona to Vero Beach is a mixture of groups. Don't go to Daytona unless you are willing to put up with Bike Week, 2 race weeks, spring break and BCR. You really need a special attitude to live there. Vero Beach is much more laid back. Most of that area including St. Augustine and Palm Coast seem to attract the New York area as well but the attitudes are noticeably better than the more southern areas of the East coast.

Jacksonville across to Pensacola is actually south Georgia and South Alabama. Attitudes are better and the living is more laid back. Destine is growing way to fast though and it is loosing its appeal of a slow life style. Jacksonville is a port city with all of the problems of a port city. It is getting dirty and the American type of minorities have taken it over. Outside of the city proper is still good.

Florida's armpit almost to New Port Ritchie is still very sleepy and is not growing very fast. Getting to Tarpon Springs and New Port Ritchie brings you back to the New York City folks and it is obvious.

The Dollar in Odessa is just south of New Port and the attitudes of the surrounding areas start changing to the more of a mixture as you near the Clearwater, Tampa and St. Petersburg areas.

On South you will find:
    Bradenton - a mixture with heavy New England influence
    Sarasota - Boston and New England
    Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda and Fort Myers - Illinois and other mid western areas

I am not sure where the folks from Naples are from but you need a bunch of money to live there.

The center of the state is entirely different. South Central Florida is old Florida although the Highway 27 corridor from Sebring to Haines City is growing way too fast.

Choose where you go in Florida to find what you want. Expect to pay more here than in some areas. We have a lot of people wanting to move here and that drives up prices.

Do not use the term "Floridians" in a negative sense. Those people you are cursing are from somewhere else. There are actually very few Floridians left. The offspring of those who came here in the last 20 years are not Floridians.

Remember - whereever you go, you will find just what you left but that is a story for another time.

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

slowdp, tell me about the Spring Hill, Citrus Springs area. My wife and I have been looking around that area. Thanks, Bulge.

13. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Barrelbulge, those town should be out of the city and off the coast enough to be fairly nice although I have not been to either one in a while. That area was growing before the pull back and will probably continue as the economy improves.

Anyone planning to move here year round should spend a July through September in Florida to see if they can stand it. It does get hot and muggy for at least 6 months during the year but the winters are normally great. This last winter was not what we are here for but it was unusual everywhere. No matter how bad the winters here have been, I have never hurt my back shoveling snow in Florida.

Folks in the north do not shoot in the winter. You may not want to shoot in the summer in Florida.

That area is not far from the Dollar and Robinson Ranch. Both places are good trap haunts.

Barrelbulge, where are you now living? WWhat are you looking for?
    Property here is still high compared to a lot of the US but it is about 30% or more less that what it was 2 years ago. Interest rates are at an all time low. Anyone who has done their homework and know for sure where they want to live in Florida should make the move now. I don't think it will get any lower.

I would still like to know where smoking357 was in Florida.

14. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't know where he was in Florida, but obviously he met some nice young police officers there.

And, he seems woefully unaware the Florida led the way with "shall issue" concealed weapons permits and the "stand your ground" laws.

Or, that Marion Hammer makes her home here. Hard to suggest she's not much of a gun advocate.

Sounds like he didn't do too well here and I'm sure it's our loss that he is gone.

Bob

15. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

As soon as possible I to will be back in the great state of Florida, came to Ca. a few years ago on a hunch and have, after the third year, realized my mistake.

Florida is a great place, humidity is a way of life, you get used to it and move on. The natural beauty, green grass and trees along the highways instaed of brown and junk on top of junk along hwy 99 in Ca.

Don't get me wrong, Ca. has it's beauty as well, the Sierras and the pacific coast along with northern Ca. redwoods and such, great people all over the interior, where the taxes come from, but, the politics and BS in this state are overwhelming.
    Also need to mention the Ca. Climate, this is the real reason people stay here, best I can figure, if your a working stiff.

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

When Ponce de Leon was exploring what is now Florida, he wrote that "the place is uninhabitable by humans due to the insects and reptiles."

EE

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

From the looks of things, I'd say ole Ponce didn't quite get it right. LOL. However if memory serves me correctly, St Augustine is the oldest settlement in the USA.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Stop by Texas on your way through, greatest state in the union, well most of the time, it gets hot during the summer but that's why we have air conditioning

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What do you mean that California doesn't have 4 seasons?

Of course we do:

Fire

Flood

Earthquake

Riots!

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

EE, Ole Ponce was right, you know. But you have to remember he was here before Air Conditioning and the Orkin Man !!! LOL Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.