1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ot-fixing headlight lens?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Has any person tried theses polishing kits for removing the crazing on headlight lenses-----Lou

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Nope ... not here ... how much are new lenses? Might be far cheaper and easier once you figure in the time and aggravation of doing it yourself and the possibility of screwing them up even more than they are now.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Problem is most of the time you can,t buy just the lens . Price for my wifes car was $90.00 times two . I think you will find the FOG on the lens is in the plastic and not just on it .

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The kit I had for my 95 Chevy Truck had 3 textures of sandpaper and some compound. It worked real well, and has lasted for a couple years. I hit it with a coat of Meguers wax afterward to help preserve the effort. Noticed the other day I may need to do the lenses again. Maybe not though, the old truck has been "semi-retired" as our farm truck and it never goes out after dark anymore.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I also had some luck with a product which I will search out in my garage tonight. it is labor intensive, best to get a comfy low chair and a beer or two, there is no magic to it. The product is a sponge like round pad affixed to a wheel put into a drill, a small amount of water is sprayed onto the wheel with a plant mister and then just polish away, repeated attempts will improve it, not to new but will be better...

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Body shops can do this for you. Or you can do it yourself. Get some wet/dri sandpaper 1500/2000 grit works good. Use lots of water and sand the haze off. get some rubbing compound. apply and buff off with a polishing buffer about 1400 RPM. they will come out fine then wax them.

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Always wax the lens with a non abrasive wax. It keeps it from happening. Armoral also works well at preserving the clarity it just does not last as long as wax.

8. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have done what Grunt stated above, wet sand, 1500- 1800 & 2000 or 2500 final paper, use lots of water, polish, mine have lasted 2 yrs and still look new.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Grunt is the only one who has it right. It works and it will last. Sand and polish, pretty simple

10. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Yes, can be done but if you're not willing to work at it, go buy new lenses----and not the China crap on Ebay.

Mine were pitted as well (bugs), started out with 220 grit and still took an hour per side to get thru the pits, get wet or dry sandpaper and a sanding block. Go to 400, then 600, then 1200---keeping it wet all the time. From that point on, use a buffer and compound in stages as well, from medium cut down to fine, then back with Meguiars medium cut, then Mirror Glaze cleaner/polish.

If there's no dirt inside, this will take them back to almost as new condition. Then keep a coat of good wax on them.

Now if you don't want to do the work, just get you some medium cut Meguiars, a 4 inch buffer and get after it. You can get it back to within 30-40% of the long process, but you can't get rid of the spiderwebs using just it.

Replacement lenses for mine are $185, each, I didn't mind the work.

11. 5shot

5shot TS Member

Lou,

Cheap fix. Tooth paste, water and elbow grease.

Probably not as good as several solutions above but may help.

Good Luck,
    Bill C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.