1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - First Time to Shoot an AR-15 Today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by concordefamily, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Spent 3.5 hours this afternoon with some friends at the public range shooting shooting a rented AR-15. I never really did think too much about shooting one but was surprised how much fun they were to shoot. Don't get me wrong, Trap is still much more fun (& social) but is was a blast shooting the target @ 100yds.

Between this and all the rants on this site about how the libs want to take away our Assault Weapons (which they do) has me thinking about getting one.

Does anyone have one? What is a good price?

2. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

700-800 should get you a well made AR, But I will warn you that *BRD is contagious

*Black Rifle Disease

3. cementman

cementman Member

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66568896

I have an Armalite the same as advertised above on gunbroker.com (copy and paste for a look). This is a AR that is no longer made by Armalite with the muzzle brake. It has the free float national match barrel with a national match trigger. Mine is new in the box and never fired. Offering on this site for $1,100.00 plus shipping to your FFL. If interested email me, drop the x's.

4. cementman

cementman Member

The Bushmaster is a fine AR-15 gun but remember Armalite was the first to manufacture these guns for the Air Force back in the early sixty's. Armalite has had all these years to refine thier orginal design where most of the others just copied. When you put a free floating stainles steel match barrel along with a match trigger, the Bushmaster is going to exceed the price I quoted for the Armalite.

5. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

ArmaLite Division of Elisco Tool went out of business in 1987. Eagle Arms purchased the rights to the Armalite brand name in 1995 from the former president of the company. The Armalite made today is not made by the original company, BUT it is a quality rifle

6. MR.STEADMAN

MR.STEADMAN TS Member

This is the gun with which Zumbo made his death knell.

Once you've shot black, you'll never go back. I've owned three.

An excellent point was made by a shooter on another thread: One real plus for the AR-15 style guns is that they keep their point of impact when the barrel gets hot. High dollar varmint rifles won't do that. And you can shoot 20-30-40 times by working the bolt only once!

Where's them danged prairie dogs?

the captain

7. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have the bottom receiver for an AR planning on building a project gun.But I live in Ca. and you have to make them with an attached mag. and top loading.I think I am going to make mine a "Space Gun" with a bolt and chambered in 204 for a varmint gun.If I lived in a free state I would own one military syle and a flat top with a scope.Really cool guns.

Darr

8. 2sonmike

2sonmike TS Member

Build your own. It's easy, good parts are cheap(there's a lot of competetion)and interchangeable, and you'll know exactly how every part does its job. Check out the equipment exchange at ar15.com.

Mike

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What kind of uppers? Just the upper? Complete assemblies?

10. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

ljunatic, I'm afraid I am coming down with BRD (Black Rifle Disease)! The photo of your ARifle looks nicer than any Perazzi with High Grade wood!

11. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Thanks.
    It is a Rock River Arms upper & lower that I built with an 18" Govt Profile barrel, Midwest Industries rails, Hogue grip, SOG vertical foregrip, EOTech 512 holograhic sight, and a Cutdown carry handle BUIS. Recently I upgraded the BUIS to a flip up Midwest Ind. ERS and added an Insight M6 tactical light/visible laser that my son gave me as a gift Very accurate, 100% reliable and addicting

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

They can be extremely accurate. Sub MOA.

Great gun for for legged varmints as well as the two legged kind if home defense is called for. For the latter, use a varmint bullet to reduce wall penetration concerns.

Don

13. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

I have a papered ArmaLite AR 18 in my gun collection and was made in Costa Mesa. PerazziBigBore Armalite made the AR 180 that was the semi auto version. The AR 18 is selective fire.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For those that may be exposed to BRD, (Black Rifle Disease), LOOK OUT. There is an even WORSE disease called BRRD(Black Rifle Reloading Disease) that may be permanent!!!

Reloading for these arms is a lot of fun. A run of the mill AR can easily bust one MOA with good ammo, but a Match Grade AR with Precision ammo will make a bolt rifle blush! They are very easy to load for with the right bullets. Accurate Arms 2230 with 55 grain bullets, and AA 2520 with bullets over 60 grains will make your bolt guns Safe Queens. The guns are easy to clean, easy to maintain, and as has been said before, retain zero under adverse conditions. As an olde pharte that once shot Natl' Match Garands and M1-A's, with the bugaboos they have about maintaining zero, the AR is a lot more gun on the range or the field.

The AR-10 type in 260, 7/08 or the fantastic 308 will harvest game as well as your bolt gun and have a lot less recoil. The 223 with the right bullet will put game in the freezer with proper bullet placement.

As an aside, in Patrol Rifle configuration, they will keep home and hearth secure in the gravest extreme. Top ends can be changed over in seconds for a multitude of uses.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You can even get AR based designs in handgun configuration. This is the recent Kel-Tec PLR-16 (Pistol, Long Range - 16). It's chambered in .223 Rem and has a 9" barrel. It comes with a flush 10 round mag, but will accept any AR15 magazine. It has a built in picatinny style rail for optics (but personally I would install a picatinny riser on it for more clamping strength.) The rear sight sucks, and is not easy to adjust for windage. I was all over the target getting it set, and it shot incredibly high out of the box (three feet high at 100 yards because the front sight was screwed in way too far - they forgot you don't need that much elevation with a handgun due to the shorter barrel).<br>
    <br>
    Accuracy... The best group I shot was 1.5" wide and 4" tall at 100 yards. I'm having difficulty with the rear sight. The notch, for one thing, is waaay too wide. Plus I'm getting farsighted as I age. I'm having trouble floating the bullseye right above the front post (probably why I stringed the group). I'm going to see if I can fit it up with an adjustable micro click target peep sight with a large diameter hole. Recoil is on a par with a heavy framed .357, like a Model 27. Muzzle flash and blast are up there. I need to get some electronic muffs before hunting with it.<br>
    <br>
    I bought this gun with the sole intent of handgun hunting coyotes with it. I had been considering a Thompson Contender, but they are useless when multiple coyotes come in or you miss or wound on the first shot. I had been using an 8-3/8" S&W M27 .357, but like all .357's they run out of accuracy before they run out of power. If this had the accuracy, I figured, it might make a good coyote handgun. I'm pretty confident that I could gun a coyote at 100 yards with it, especially if I can get a better rear sight picture.<br>
    <br>
    The action is not pure AR-15. It has an AR15 style bolt head, and uses AR-15 magazines. The gas system is similar to an AK. In reality, it's actually closer to the old Armalite AR-18 than anything else.<br>
    <br>
    Kel-Tec originally made these as rifles, with fixed or underfolding stocks. Because they have no pistol grip, the fixed stocked rifles could possibley be used in some states that outlaw the AR15 and AR18. (Links to the rifles are at the above link to the handgun.) These guns are popular as survival and packpack guns. And for use as "truck guns" by varminters and those who need a gun for pest control.<br>
    <br>
    (Ironically, when I first posted on it here right after I bought it, some Fudd did a Zumbo on me, accusing me of sinking our Second Amendment rights by buying a gansta gun suitable only for drive by shootings. Glad you guys tore him a new one.)

16. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Rock River is the only AR to buy! I have been doing a lot of looking, I am getting into 3 gun shooting and an AR is a good rifle for the events. I have had Colt, Bushmaster and Olympic Arms in the past. I have to say the Bushmaster was my favorite so that is what I went to look at this time around. I have to say Bushmaster is nice but its no Rock River. My money is going to a Rock River in the next few months.

Dave

17. Pendleton_Marine

Pendleton_Marine TS Member

I have shot a lot of AR and M-16 variants and I can say that without a doubt the best so far is the Lauer custom Weaponry one that i own. This guy in Wisconsin makes them. He is the same guy that invented Duracoat. For around 700 to 2400 he will custom build one to your specs. My rifle has a really low serial, i think it is around 700 and every one is hand assembled by this guy or his crew.

AND... If you are really ambitious, he has helped people legally purchase full auto weapons. He is a great advocate of the 2nd amendment and knows the laws from all the states.

Check out the website if you like. www.lauerweaponry.com

Dan

18. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

DPMS makes a very good forged lower.You can purchase a complete lower with a 4 position buttstock from http://www.rguns.net/index.html for $205.00. Just click on their shotgun and rifle section, and AR-15 parts section and you will see a pretty good selection of lowers and uppers for some fair prices. All you have to do is put the 2 halves together and push the 2 pins in, and you are ready.

19. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

I have had black rifle disease for a couple of years now, it is almost as bad as Trap gun disease. Matter of fact I passed on a pretty good deal on a shotgun the other day because BRD got in the way. Good luck on your hunt for one. Ar15.com equipment exchange is a good place to start. JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.