1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: first rubarb pie of the season

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dahaub, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Just having a fresh piece of pie this morning for a break and thought I'd tell you guys that LeeAnn has done it again in making her rubarb and strawberry pie yesterday. What a treat. Dan

2. DJM

DJM Member

Why would you want to ruin a good strawberry pie by putting that sour ditch weed in it?

3. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

DJM, my guess is you've never had a piece of it. I've not had any in years, but the mere mention makes me feel like Pavlov's dog.

Dahaub do you have a recipe you could share? Thanks JW

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Boy, you will never get me to agree with DJM...........I don't see why you would ruin a good rhubarb cobbler or pie with those seedy strawberries. We scored our first rhubarb cobbler about 3 or 4 weeks ago, ummmmmmmm. Always thought the folks that put strawberries in rhubarb were wimps, go for the real thing. Suzin put more rhubarb in the ground this year,so we might even have more later.

Heck, years ago, I surprised all our neighbors with rhubarb dacaquiris, and they went over real well. Went thru batch after batch trying to get the recipe just right. In the end no one remembers much about the recipe, but do remember it was fun.

d

5. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Yes I'll give away the reciepe for her pie. Start with the crust 2 cups of flour , 1 cup of shortening, Crisco or lard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar and work this up to "beads" then add 3 and 1/2 to 5 tablespoons of ice water to make the dough for the pie. For the filling she uses a deep dish pie plate. Hers is ceramic and she starts with 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups each of rhubarb and strawberries , 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter, real butter. 1/4 cup of flour and mix that well and put it in the oven for 15 minutes at 450 and finish with 45 minutes at 350 Keep an eye on it. You'll love the taste of that pie. Dan

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

you guys all SUCK!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL.

It's April 28th in Anchorage, my rubarb is a little red bud poking out of the ground, I won't have any for at least a month.

And all I got is frozen stuff from last year.

But, if you email me at jpokorny@cookinlethousing.org I'll send you all my great grandmother Rust's cobbler recipe...

FWIW, she was born in 1881 in a sod house in Nebraska, did the covered wagon trip to Oregon (when it was even money if you'd make it or not), and died in 1992 at age 111 in Roseburg Oregon.

It's the BEST cobbler you've ever had...depression era, no milk in it. It bakes down into a gooey mass with rubarb in the middle that in unbelievably good.

jeff

7. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Why do you have to do that to me guys?

Boy I hope my mom makes one soon!

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Dan, You really know how to hurt a guy. You are soooooo lucky.

I love rhubarb pie, and strawberry rhubarb pie........They are both great. Yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still to early for rhubarb here though.........Guess we'll have to wait for warmer weather.

Hauxfan!

9. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Will agree with ddrsue rubarb is ment to have a real man tang. My neighbor tore out his wifes rubarb patch last year before I knew about it. Boy that suff is costly in the store. But thanks guys now I have to bake a pie.

10. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Oh how I envy you. One of my favorite desserts. I can just taste it now.

i_shoot

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My Amish grandmother made an awesome Rhubarb pie. I miss her and her good food. Nothing better than a good pie and that is one of my favorites. Grandma made a good sweet cream pie too

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

My wife just made our first strawberry rhubarb pies yesterday. Rhubarb grows like weeds in our yard here in Washington. I came home from the league shoot last night and had a slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Several requests via email...I'll post it here too.

In a deep baking dish mix together:
    1 cup sugar
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    1 ½ cup flour
    3/4 cup milk
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla

It makes a gooey batter when you stir it together (its good with a spoon!). On top of the batter put 2.5 cups of chopped rubarb and up to 1 cup of sugar. Cover the whole mess with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water and bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

email me at jpokorny@cookinlethousing.org and let me know what you think. By the way, this stuff is a fixture at the Alaska State shoot. So if you come up...you can have some.

Jeff

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The crust ( pie dough) is the secret to all good pies

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Don't forget to share. You have to "spread the wealth" now like the rest of us.

16. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Does anyone have a recipe for rhubarb jam?

17. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Hey guys, I'm running late for work, and now I've got to change my shirt! You made me drool all over the front of it! ....Rick

18. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Bernie: I will have Suzin get back to you. she has an awesome recipe for rhubarb jam. she just made some. Best of all the fruit jellies and jams she has done. One time she used the version of the rhubarb that never turns red, it stays green, even with that it was super.
    d

19. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

ddrsuz, will be waiting. Darn my fingers keep slipping poff jhter kets from, thje droooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

20. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Cubancigar, you are right on the money...the crust is what makes the good pies great!!! Ric, you got me droolin' over your pic! Man, that looks great, how bout the receipe????
    My polish mother-in-law is the best baker I know, and she has always made the best pies etc. But she's 88 now and doesn't bake much any more, I sure miss it. I ask my wife to remember how to make them, but you know how that goes...I gotta try myself, but I don't know what I'm doing. Sometimes, I think a great piece of pie is as good as 100 straight! Anybody think the same? puablo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

yes roseburg oregon is rhubarb poisonous