1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Firewood Cutting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

OT Firewood Cutting Length

I need to cut up a few Locust and Oak trees this weekend. What is the most desirable cut length for firewood?

2. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

18-21"

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Not to be too flippant...but it depends on the size of the fireplace.

I have a really nice insert, but it can only handle 15" logs, and 13" are a lot better. The best part is that I can damp it down and it burns so little wood that one armload can last me most of a day. But it still heats the upper two floors of a 2,500 sq foot house - about 1,600 feet total, with an 800 foot half basement. The furnace simply doesn't run when I have a fire going....

4. 100straight

100straight Member

If you are selling it I would cut it 16". For many years I sold firewood commercially, and 16" was the most acceptable length to the majority of my customers.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

16 inch is proper for cordwood, a face cord is a single row, a full cord is a triple row. I forget the height and length.

HM

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

A cord of wood is a pile 4 ft. high, 4 ft. wide and 8 ft. long. All the other terms, i.e. "fireplace cord", "face cord", etc. are nonsense and subject to interpretation. Here in Vermont, there are elected town officials that settle disputes as to what a "cord" of wood is. They are known as surveyors of woods and timber.
    Bruce

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Interesting, here in Indiana we call the "face cord" a rick of wood and 3 ricks make a cord, 4'x4'x8'. Most folks here try to cut about 16" pieces unless you are cutting for an outdoor wood furnace. Some of the outdoor furnaces I have seen around here take 36" long pieces up to 18" in diameter. Sure saves time cutting and splitting, but its a back breaking job to load. John Ertel

8. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

hmm, yeah my woodstove takes larger pieces than fireplaces it would seem.

Phil

9. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

14" is easier for the wife and kids to handle.(incase you don't get home in time to feed the stove............m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.