1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Final Mallard Hunt 2008

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FarmerD, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Last day of season was a winner. Couldn't go trapshooting as to much snow. Ben

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We had a banner day on my pond thanksgiving weekend. 16 greenheads and although it was not everyones limit, it was a wonderfull hunt. Instead of calling in singles and pairs, it was flocks!!

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

FarmerD, What state was your hunt? I hate to see pics like that when I can't participate! Our season was over Dec 31, but we have a 2 week special Goose season coming up. I'm jealous.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Eastern Oregon, Sunday the 27th was the final day. Six inches of snow and snowing. Set 6 decoys in Willow Creek and had limit in 2 hours. Was glad, as I slipped and fell in creek, damn cold. Ben

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I wish our season was later. Actually, I would prefer they gave us a 60 day season, but we got to pick the dates! I'd pick Dec 1 through Feb 1! 2 weeks in April would be nice too.

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is the last day in our state. I always hate to se it end and there is always a twinge of sadness when I pack away my waders. As I am getting a little long in the tooth, I always wonder how many seasons I have left. Duck hunting is not for the elderly and I hope I can keep going a few more years. Nothing like the Whistle of cupped wings to get the old blood pumping!

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Slide action you have made the memories rush to the front of my thoughts talking about duck hunting. I had hunted for about three years with my Dad when he started planning a duck hunt for himself and his hunting buddies. The state of Illinois was busy building a new lake, Caryle, and they were flooding 30 thousand acreas of bottom land and they were permitting hunters to take in boats and build blinds out of what was available in the high spots and slews. This new lake was about 30 minutes south of our home in Vandalia so we were rearing to go. The week before we could hunt our neighbor and friend Chuck Low flew us over the lake and Dad picked out his spot with his knowledge of how to get there in the dead of night in a spot we had never been before. Everything went great that first hunt with the exception of one thing. They all smoked and they forgot to bring full packs and they all ran out of smokes. There were five grown men and me I was about 14 and a half. I didn't smoke. They would have gladly traded me for a pack of cigaretts . I never let up on them about their craving for a cigarette and the fact that according to one of the uncles of mine that had quit they would get the heebee-jeebees about 4 hours into the hunt. Those were wonderful memories. My Dad said it was like going back in time with all those acreas flooded three foot deep and all that bottomland full of ducks. There were literally thousands of ducks in the air that opening day. There were hundreds of hunters out there also and I'll bet none of them had any better time than I did. Dan

8. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Definitely!

Old Fowler

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Ben it sounds like you had a great hunt. I am from the Willamette Valley and we had a poor season. My neighbor shot a limit on Saturday but they were all funny ducks with the exception of one Drake Pintail. I think they shot teal, spoons, and some other funny ducks. I am old fashioned when it comes to my duck shooting. Drake mallards or drake Pintails. I will shoot a big drake widgeon once in a while. I don't love to eat them so I just don't shoot hens or little ducks. Congratulations on the perfect end to the season( The dunking not included!!) Jeff

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nice to see there are no Susies in the picture. Good work!

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

DAhaub, I was stationed as at Chanute AFB as an Acft. Maint. instructor in the mid 70s and have hunted in the area you mentioned. I was raised along the Ohio River between Elizabeth Town and Cave in Rock ILL. on the KY. side. I grew up hunting ducks with my Dad and would rather hunt them than eat! the glory days are gone, but as long as I'm able, I will be out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.