1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Extended auto warranties

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by englishupland, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

Anyone involved with US Fidelas or Warranty Direct??..I need an extended warranty for a vehicle...Seems like WD is OK, don't know about Fidelas.

Too many miles for GMPPO and don't want to "bank" the money for an "in case"..Need something

2. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Consumer Reports once said that out of an $1100 extended warranty sold with a car, that only $185 went toward future repairs. Most of it was profit for the dealer and warranty co. Chances of getting your moneys worth back is very slim!

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Worked for a warranty company a few years back. What a ripoff!!!! I only worked there for 3 weeks. You think health insurance for people look for ways not to pay just wait until you need a repair have it done at an expensive repair shop then they refuse to pay for after they said everything is covered.

Total ripoffs.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Some of these are worse than the Nigerian scams. Do some extensive research before plunking down any cash.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money put $1000.00 in to a CD and thats all the warranty you need.

6. Bubba

Bubba Member

I get calls every week or so from fly by night companies wanting to sell me a vehicle warranty.

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I've worked for Ford dealerships for the last 24 yrs. The only good extended warranties are the factory extended warranties. If the part is covered there are no hidden exceptions and you know what is covered when you buy the warranty, that is if you read the contract. Usually a $50 or $100 deductable and thats it. Ford ESP premium care is the best that Ford offers. I know GM and Chrysler offer similar. ALL of the other aftermarket warranties are scams.

Steve

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I purchased a used 2003 Murano and bought the extended "gold" warranty for $1,200. The car had 32K on it when I bought it. Over the next two years I went through all of the motor mounts, a cracked exhaust manifold, failed alternator, failed power seat adjuster, and a few other items that I can't recall. The warranty covered all of it minus $50 deductible each time it went in. (4 times IIRC) At 84K all three cat converters failed. Total replacement cost was over $2200. The warranty did not cover the CAT system so I paid that out of pocket. The warranty was good to 90K. Since 2003-5 Muranos had a terrible track record with the CVT tranny and I was approaching the magic moment warranty wise, I sold the car at a big loss. Given that a tranny repair would be a minimum 6K on a Murano, I think I did the smart thing. I should never have bought the car in the first place, first model year, too expensive and untested technology. I ended up getting my money out of the extended warranty but it was a break even kind of deal. Had I bought a different car and not bought the warranty I could have saved the expense. Live and learn. I dumped the Murano and bought a 2008 Rav 4 with a 6 cyl. Better car, proven platform and many$$$$$ cheaper. I did not buy the extended warranty this time. Come to think of it, I didn't on my 2002 Ranger Edge either (purchased new). 79K and no repairs to date.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Strictly for suckers.

10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

US Fidelas was on the news last night. Better Business Bureau gave them an F. Total rip off, former employees reported that they were told to lie to sell policies.

Also, if they call you on the phone, hang up. RIP OFF.

Mike

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Even the factory extended warranties are a Ponzi scheme ripoff.<br>
    <br>
    Ford is a classis example. YOU pay for the first repair, and then if it breaks AGAIN Ford will repair it FREE. WTF kind of extended warranty is that? I literally laughed at the Ford dealer and left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.