1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Equivalent of MEC9000G for metallic reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jawari2000, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Looking for a metallic reloading press. What would you consider to be the equivalent of a MEC9000G (without the hydraulic/automate stuff) in this case? Would appreciate any serious suggestions/opinions. Thanks.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Dillon 650.

Jim

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

look in to Dillon,,,link to web above

4. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

TTT- Guys, there's got to be more suggestions.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The Dillon 650 is a great press that has few if any bugs. The monster 1050 is king and will load 1000 pistol rounds quicker than a hiccup.

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive is less expensive than the Dillon 650 and comes with 1000 free bullets.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0031363215841a.shtml

tom

7. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Another nod for Hornady Lock and Load AP. Excellent press great service from Hornady. Mark R.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

lee load master is ok for a budget press works pretty good has some flaws but is a lot less money it is no good for rifle work rick

9. willyo

willyo TS Member

You should consider the volume of shells you reload and the variety of calibers. If you only load in the hundreds, then a single stage press would sufice.

I have owned as many as 5 of the metalic cartrige presses, both single stage and the progressives. The Dillion presses are my favorites,two RL550B's one set for large, one for small primers reside on my bench today.

The service from Dillon is tops! Good flexibility in caliber change with removable tool heads. Rifle and pistol reloading on the same press is nice if you burn a lot of rifle ammo also.

I've tried all the rest, like Dillion the best. Bill in Wisc.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dillon for metallics, Mec for shotshells. Top of the line progressives.

The Mec 9000 loads a flat of shotshells in 22 minutes. The Dillon 650 loads a case of pistol rounds in an hour, or 25 boxes of rifle ammo. The Dillon 1050 loads a case of pistol rounds in 30 minutes.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Handgun only, Dillon Square Deal.

Handgun/Rifle without an automatic turret advance, Dillon 550.

Dillon 650 has automatic advance and a case feed.

Hornady Lock n load

Lee stuff

The Dillon stuff is the best, by far.

12. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Dillon is the answer.................Roger

13. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

For less than $150.00 all set up,

Another press you might consider is the Lee Classic Turret it is not progressive but it auto indexes so you get a loaded round with 4 pulls of the handle. You can easily load 200 rounds per hour. It can be switched to a single stage (or back) in less than 10 seconds. Extra removable turrets can be set up for each caliber you load for and cost about $10.00 each (less dies)switched out in about the same amount of time. I have one and wish I had started out with one of these in the first place. It is built to load both pistol and rifle shells. This is one press Lee really did right.

Read here http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

tom

14. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I also have two Dillon 550b's. One set up for small primers and one for large. I load for several different calibers. Changing calibers is easy. With extra tool heads you leave your dies adjusted and just swap heads and shell holders. These presses last forever.
    Les

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.